Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | CQ Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for CQ Magazine
CQ Magazine Reviews: 143 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $27.95
Description: The Radio Amateur's Journal
More info: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/

You can write your own review of the CQ Magazine.

W5NZ Rating: 1/5 Aug 19, 2014 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Late, late, late!  Time owned: more than 12 months
July edition finally arrived on 18 Aug -- 6 weeks later than it should. Content of the magazine is usually quite decent and offers a much needed alternative perspective from that provided by other journals. However, the management aspect of this periodical is sorely lacking. They've consolidated Popular Communications, CQ VHF magazine, and others into a single product line that should have minimized their publication woes. Haven't seen any subsequent improvement nor do they seem to care. Too bad to see a formerly great magazine go by the wayside. Will NOT be renewing my subscription.

KD8KEO Rating: 3/5 Aug 19, 2014 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Mail Subscription  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally received my July edition in the mail yesterday, August 18th. Late but, I enjoyed the articles. Especially Zero Bias on Miscommunication Emergency, and part II on Americas Off-limits Islands. I think this is a good magazine and do not want to see it go away. I would subscribe to the digital edition but, I continually have problems viewing it on my Android devices.

WB8NUT Rating: 0/5 Aug 7, 2014 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Articles and information old and outdated  Time owned: more than 12 months
When my issue of CQ arrives, the news is old and outdated. Even the ads are outdated. The issue I received in February had Christmas ads that were no longer valid. When they send out combined issues, the magazine is no bigger than a regular monthly issue. Articles are often not very interesting. CQ magazine is not what it used to be.

W8LV Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2014 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Beter than ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I subscribe to CQ via Zinio. I enjoy the new "expanded" edition, that combines the Worldradio columns and puts it all into one package.

I know I am reviewing CQ here, but I also want to say I subscribe to The Spectrum Monitor now that Monitoring Times has ceased, and it is great as well! I don't really see ham publications going at it, cutthroat competition, like in other areas of media. Instead, it's much more of an "Everybody knows Everybody" business, with these publications complimenting each other. BOTH are great publications, and combined with QST you have a great monthly reading library, where one is entertained and learns from all of them.

I DO wish that ALL of the mags would dump the goofy, goofy formats that they use and just go with Adobe format. Which is the easiest format to read.

N7FAE Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2014 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Good Read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I subscribed to Popular Communications (now CQ+) once Monitoring Times Magazine gave up the ghost, and I'm happy with the content and some great articles in the new CQ. It took three months to get my first Magazine but I'm enjoying it - yes, it seems to be 'late' every month but I still enjoy the magazine. I subscribe to QST also, but I really do enjoy reading the articles in CQ more.

VE7TJL Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 13:27 Send this review to a friend
They're back! New and improved  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had subscribed to both CQ and World Radio Online prior to this year. Now that they've combined them it's more economical and the new version is packed with articles - way better deal.

Looks like CQ staged a nice recovery and I look forward to it each month same as before. Highly recommend the online subscription.

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 06:50 Send this review to a friend
CQ Magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
A rating of 2.8 makes you wonder what these reviews are really worth. My first experience was when I came to Hong Kong 30 years ago, CQ was sold by the shop beside the Star Ferry In Central. I was able to buy a new mag that was so different from the RSBG Bulletin/Radio Communication of old. So fresh and interesting. A bit like the 1960s version of Short Wave Magazine.

On and off I have subscribed, usually to the sea mail versions, so a day or two late delivery has not been an issue (sic). Concur with the comparative comment below regarding scolding. Had a few problems a couple of years ago with missing editions. Now to my recent experience.

In February I subscribed for the digital edition. This is not from empathy nut just to save the problem of postal problems. It worked great. My first edition was the February one which was the first inclusive of the CQ Plus. Overall I think it is too much of a read for one month.

I continue to receive my, what is now called, RadCom. It has its place and I can't really compare and am not entitled to do so. Suffice to say that I shall continue to subscribe for the digital edition of CQ for as long as I want to read a fresh and open ham radio read. Each to his or her own.

Very best,
VR2AX

AF6WL Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2014 15:35 Send this review to a friend
iPad edition great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never been a print subscriber, but am enjoying reading it , without delivery problems, on the iPad via Zinio.
I find it a better read than QST.
I hope the magazine pulls through.

W0CKI Rating: 0/5 Apr 23, 2014 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Total trash mag  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About the only saving grace is the contest portion, otherwise absolute junk. Let it die, no one will miss it after a few months, but then again, some will be waiting for the late last issue.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2014 18:13 Send this review to a friend
What difference does it make?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the magazine. I like the articles. It is readable, fun and informative. The "other" ham magazine can be stuffy, dogmatic and scolding. I read them both.

Who cares what date is on the cover?