Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | CQ Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for CQ Magazine
CQ Magazine Reviews: 139 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $27.95
Description: The Radio Amateur's Journal
More info: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/

You can write your own review of the CQ Magazine.

VE7TJL Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 13:27 Send this review to a friend
They're back! New and improved  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had subscribed to both CQ and World Radio Online prior to this year. Now that they've combined them it's more economical and the new version is packed with articles - way better deal.

Looks like CQ staged a nice recovery and I look forward to it each month same as before. Highly recommend the online subscription.

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 06:50 Send this review to a friend
CQ Magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
A rating of 2.8 makes you wonder what these reviews are really worth. My first experience was when I came to Hong Kong 30 years ago, CQ was sold by the shop beside the Star Ferry In Central. I was able to buy a new mag that was so different from the RSBG Bulletin/Radio Communication of old. So fresh and interesting. A bit like the 1960s version of Short Wave Magazine.

On and off I have subscribed, usually to the sea mail versions, so a day or two late delivery has not been an issue (sic). Concur with the comparative comment below regarding scolding. Had a few problems a couple of years ago with missing editions. Now to my recent experience.

In February I subscribed for the digital edition. This is not from empathy nut just to save the problem of postal problems. It worked great. My first edition was the February one which was the first inclusive of the CQ Plus. Overall I think it is too much of a read for one month.

I continue to receive my, what is now called, RadCom. It has its place and I can't really compare and am not entitled to do so. Suffice to say that I shall continue to subscribe for the digital edition of CQ for as long as I want to read a fresh and open ham radio read. Each to his or her own.

Very best,
VR2AX

AF6WL Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2014 15:35 Send this review to a friend
iPad edition great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never been a print subscriber, but am enjoying reading it , without delivery problems, on the iPad via Zinio.
I find it a better read than QST.
I hope the magazine pulls through.

W0CKI Rating: 0/5 Apr 23, 2014 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Total trash mag  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About the only saving grace is the contest portion, otherwise absolute junk. Let it die, no one will miss it after a few months, but then again, some will be waiting for the late last issue.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2014 18:13 Send this review to a friend
What difference does it make?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the magazine. I like the articles. It is readable, fun and informative. The "other" ham magazine can be stuffy, dogmatic and scolding. I read them both.

Who cares what date is on the cover?

K5TCP Rating: 0/5 Mar 21, 2014 12:54 Send this review to a friend
What a joke  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just received my January 2014 issue today (3/21/14).

NU4B Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Digital Edition   Time owned: more than 12 months
After almost 30 years getting the print version, I decided to get the digital. (Did the same with QST a year or so ago).

I never thought I would like the digital mags, but I'm hooked. I couldn't be happier. Sometimes change is hard. And I know some people will never like a digital mag or book. And that's what I thought.

And the Feb edition was a QRP special which thrilled me. I've always enjoyed the content in CQ. The antenna and QRP special editions are my favorite.

And no more waiting. No more shredded mags in the mail. And less clutter around the shack. (well there's still clutter, just not CQ and QST) They are all easily accessible with my computer whenever I want them. Easy to go to the contents page and click on the article you want to read. And it costs a bit less. Another nice thing (that I never thought about) in the digital editions is its easy to click on any referenced email addresses or web sites in the mag and go right there.

Yep, for me, definitely a more enjoyable experience with the digital version.

NT9M Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2014 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Times are changing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll tell you who is on the way out -- the USPS drowning in a sea of red ink.

Enjoyed reading my combined issue of CQ which I downloaded to my tablet while vacationing in Arizona last week. I like the PLUS of the expanded coverage and extra articles in the e-Edition.

It sounds like they are trying to make this right for everyone by extending your print subscription. So my suggestion if you want to keep enjoying the articles while they work things out is download the e-edition. It's all there...and more.

NT9M

KK2DOG Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2014 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The purpose of these reviews should be to rate the magazine for it's articles and content, not for a distribution issue they are/were having.

I've been a subscriber for many years and plan on renewing once again.

Perhaps I should give MFJ Enterprises a bad review since I just received their 2013 catalog on February 24, 2014.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2014 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Great mag  Time owned: more than 12 months
Jeez, some of the wingers here...! CQ is a GREAT magazine, its editorials put things into context and it tries to cater for all aspects of the hobby. The NEW CQ Plus combines several of the CQ group journals into one mag. Fantastic.
My paper copy came usually on time - give or take a day or so - and now that I receive the digital edition, even better. I live in rural Australia, and have no complaints at all - keep up the good work fellers!
Norm VK5GI