Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | CQ Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for CQ Magazine
CQ Magazine Reviews: 312 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $27.95
Description: The Radio Amateur's Journal
More info: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/

You can write your own review of the CQ Magazine.

KQ4KK Rating: 2/5 Jul 12, 2014 14:08 Send this review to a friend
STILL a month late  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a long time print subscriber. Guess they are getting "better". Used to NOT get an issue unless I called or emailed them. Then they "skipped/combined" an issue to catch up. I still received my JUNE 2014 issue July 1, 2014.

KO3D Rating: 2/5 Jun 30, 2014 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Going Going...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Any time a publisher starts missing issues, combines three publications into one, and stops answering complaints it probably is going to be out of business soon. I never see it on newsstands any more either. It's totally unacceptable and most of the "hang in there" 5 reviews would be 0s if it weren't a Ham magazine.

The editorial content of the magazine isn't bad but not worth this kind of trouble

W9JH Rating: 0/5 Jun 19, 2014 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Poor Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They don't answer emails. That tells you something.

Several weeks ago I asked by email what if any archived issues (CQ or any of their other radio magazines) can be accessed with a digital subscription -- no answer. They were running a special at the time and if they really wanted new business I would have expected a reply.

BTW, the local library no longer gets CQ -- Why? They were not receiving the paper editions.

W8LV Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2014 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Beter than ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I subscribe to CQ via Zinio. I enjoy the new "expanded" edition, that combines the Worldradio columns and puts it all into one package.

I know I am reviewing CQ here, but I also want to say I subscribe to The Spectrum Monitor now that Monitoring Times has ceased, and it is great as well! I don't really see ham publications going at it, cutthroat competition, like in other areas of media. Instead, it's much more of an "Everybody knows Everybody" business, with these publications complimenting each other. BOTH are great publications, and combined with QST you have a great monthly reading library, where one is entertained and learns from all of them.

I DO wish that ALL of the mags would dump the goofy, goofy formats that they use and just go with Adobe format. Which is the easiest format to read.

AA8X Rating: 0/5 Jun 19, 2014 11:15 Send this review to a friend
No February, May and June issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
CQ appears to have gone out of business. Have not received the February, May and June issue. This problem has been going on for months and I believe it's time for a class action lawsuit. I'm not getting what I paid for and would not want anyone to pay this outfit money for a subscription which probably won't come. The February digital issue is not readable because you can only zoom 3 time. They want you to purchase this issue if you want to read it. Send my hard-copy February issue.

N7FAE Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2014 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Good Read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I subscribed to Popular Communications (now CQ+) once Monitoring Times Magazine gave up the ghost, and I'm happy with the content and some great articles in the new CQ. It took three months to get my first Magazine but I'm enjoying it - yes, it seems to be 'late' every month but I still enjoy the magazine. I subscribe to QST also, but I really do enjoy reading the articles in CQ more.

VE7TJL Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 13:27 Send this review to a friend
They're back! New and improved  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had subscribed to both CQ and World Radio Online prior to this year. Now that they've combined them it's more economical and the new version is packed with articles - way better deal.

Looks like CQ staged a nice recovery and I look forward to it each month same as before. Highly recommend the online subscription.

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 06:50 Send this review to a friend
CQ Magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
A rating of 2.8 makes you wonder what these reviews are really worth. My first experience was when I came to Hong Kong 30 years ago, CQ was sold by the shop beside the Star Ferry In Central. I was able to buy a new mag that was so different from the RSBG Bulletin/Radio Communication of old. So fresh and interesting. A bit like the 1960s version of Short Wave Magazine.

On and off I have subscribed, usually to the sea mail versions, so a day or two late delivery has not been an issue (sic). Concur with the comparative comment below regarding scolding. Had a few problems a couple of years ago with missing editions. Now to my recent experience.

In February I subscribed for the digital edition. This is not from empathy nut just to save the problem of postal problems. It worked great. My first edition was the February one which was the first inclusive of the CQ Plus. Overall I think it is too much of a read for one month.

I continue to receive my, what is now called, RadCom. It has its place and I can't really compare and am not entitled to do so. Suffice to say that I shall continue to subscribe for the digital edition of CQ for as long as I want to read a fresh and open ham radio read. Each to his or her own.

Very best,
VR2AX

AF6WL Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2014 15:35 Send this review to a friend
iPad edition great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never been a print subscriber, but am enjoying reading it , without delivery problems, on the iPad via Zinio.
I find it a better read than QST.
I hope the magazine pulls through.

GM4UBJ Rating: 0/5 Jun 14, 2014 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Sad end to a good mag  Time owned: more than 12 months
Alas its seems CQ mag are going under, in the last year I have not received about 70 % of the mags and certainly nothing since January, even then I only received it because I emailed another complaint, now I do not even bother. My subscription length has been increased but what's the point if they cant deliver, at least if they had offered an online subscription it would have been some recompense. I was feeling sorry for the mag but now I just feel ripped -off, when the subscription renewal arrives I will not be throwing good money after bad