Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | Nifty Desk Stand for Elecraft KX3 Help

Reviews Summary for Nifty Desk Stand for Elecraft KX3
Nifty Desk Stand for Elecraft KX3 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: Custom designed to perfectly fit the KX3, providing an ideal angle for viewing the display and working the controls. Works equally well for paddle and non paddle users. Since the KX3 is supported by its back legs, when placed on the stand a shelf is not required, thus avoiding any interference with the radio's built in speaker or keying paddles. The rubber feet on the radio and on the stand prevent the radio from moving around while keying.
More info: http://www.niftyaccessories.com

You can write your own review of the Nifty Desk Stand for Elecraft KX3.

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2014 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since getting my KX3 several years ago, I've been using a wire plate holder display stand. However, after reading the reviews on the Nifty Desk Stand, I figured it was worth a try -- particularly given its very reasonable price. Boy, am I glad I did! This simple device is attractive and is perfect for the job! It doesn't budge and its the right angle for home viewing (I use my KX3 as a home and portable rig -- it's my only one).

W1XV Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2013 18:12 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT ACCESSORY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This adds a great deal to the ease of operating the KX3 when placed on a desk in the radio shack. The viewing angle is now where it ought to be for home operation. It's a rugged product and doesn't move when I use the KXPD3 paddles with the "firm" spring. It's a perfect accessory for a rig that's ahead of its time. I could have made one out of wood but this product is far better and is light and compact enough to tote along for portable use if one desired. Thanks for a nifty accessory!!

WU7F Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2013 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Improved operating position - very sturdy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This really improved the operating position of the KX3 for me.

- The fold-out legs of KX3 support weight while the rubber feet on the KX3 grip the plastic surface of the stand nicely to keep the KX3 firmly in place
- The stand angles the radio so that I can operate it at arms' length on a desktop rather than hovering over it
- If I ever spill a drink, it won't get to my radio (so this will be good for Field Day excursions, too)
- Radio easily lifts off the stand so you can grab-and-go for portable operation.

I was skeptical when I first saw advertisements for this molded piece of plastic. I knew it was a good idea, but thought I could build something out of wood for less money. Well, that didn't turn out to be the case – especially when I factored in the time it would take. This stand is already perfectly molded for the KX3. The plastic is more sturdy than I thought it would be. The radio is sturdy while on the stand.

I do support the radio with one hand while inserting or removing plugs. I suppose if you didn't, the radio could slide; but even when not using the stand, I was supporting the radio when I was connecting or removing the cables (I mostly use right-angled connectors for better cable management)

I use an external paddle, so I cannot comment on how it would respond with a KX3PD paddle attached to the radio, but assume it would remain secure unless operator was really slap-happy in his/her keying technique.

Bottom line – I feel the 'Nifty KX3 Desk Stand' was a worthwhile investment to set the radio in a secure and improved operating position.

WB0OEW Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2013 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the Nifty stand with KX3, SN 4051, for the past month or so. I have just about every connector plugged in and still the stand keeps the KX3 very solid. It holds the KX3 so the front is nearly vertical and solid enough that it feels very close to a heavier base station. I can operate all controls with one hand and do not have to hold the KX3 with the other, it does not move on the desk. I am happy with the Nifty stand for the KX3.

G4TMO Rating: 2/5 Apr 22, 2013 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I expected more positive location of the transceiver. The stand is designed to locate within the triangular fillet on the folding legs of the KX3. On the built versions of the radio available from the UK importer, the fillet is not engaged by the stand due to the stand-off imposed by the thickness of the rubber feet on the legs and the rear chassis of the radio. Stability is thereby compromised. The stand design does not appear to have kept pace with Elecraft's product development cycle. Disappointing

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2013 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Very clever design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Elecraft KX3 is a great little rig. Now that it is getting well established on the market, improvements are appearing from outside vendors. The Nifty Desk Stand for the KX3 fulfills a need that I had in the back of my mind to provide better access to the KX3 controls and especially the KXPD3 on-board CW paddle.

I am surprised how solidly the KX3 fits on the desk stand. In the documentation sheet that comes with the stand, it notes that there are little grooves on the back feet of the KX3 which match the sides of the stand. Once placed on the stand, the KX3 doesn't budge. Now that the KX3 controls are facing toward you rather than upward, you have access to the controls almost as you do with a conventional transceiver such as the K3.

With the bottom of rig now elevated a little over the top of the desk surface, access to the KXPD3 is more comfortable, reminiscent of the feel you get with the Begali Graciella vertical paddle, but at a much lower cost.

I bought the stand mainly for use in the shack, but it would be useful for portable operation also.

I think this stand will be a big hit for Nifty. Why didn’t I think of it? You won't want to travel or stay home without it.

Sig, 5Z4EE

G8JNF Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Doesn't move - Solid - Does the job - Good viewing angle - Looks good - Quick delivery - Can't think how it could be improved - Just PERFECT!

W8ZT Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Quality product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived quickly and in perfect condition. Makes the station look finished. Raises the rig and angles the viewing to be clear from a sitting position. Solid as a rock on the desk/table. Plenty of room for the factory paddles. A nice touch to the home station.

KG7RS Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended for Home QTH Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product has far exceeded my expectations. I had concerns that it would not be stable enough to keep my KX3 from wandering around the operating desk and allow the rig to flop around on the stand. Also, since the KX3 requires a substantial button-press force, I assumed I would have to stabilize the radio/stand with one hand while pressing buttons with the other. Wrong!

This gadget is as stable as a rock on the operating desk. The stand has rubber feet which hold the stand/radio firmly in place on the desk and the rubber bumpers on the KX3 grip the stand well. The package is as stable as a conventional desktop rig. Button presses, tuning & cable changes don't faze it. It sits firmly just like a conventional rig. In fact, it integrates to the KX3 so well it appears to be one unit. When it's time to take the radio to the field, just lift it off the stand, unplug & go.

The viewing angle is good - far better than the KX3's natural angle with the built-in support legs extended.

Overall, a very useful, relatively inexpensive accessory that does a good job of adapting the field-optimized form factor of the KX3 to a more conventional configuration for those of us who prefer a more traditional rig on the home operating desk.

73, John, KG7RS