Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Moonraker GPA-80 HF multiband vertical (approx 6m high) Help

Reviews Summary for Moonraker GPA-80 HF multiband vertical (approx 6m high)
Moonraker GPA-80 HF multiband  vertical (approx 6m high) Reviews: 3 Average rating: 1.7/5 MSRP: $£83.29
Description: Vertical HF antenna for 80->6m when used with external AMU, 400W
More info: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/moonraker-eu/HF-base-antenna-/_i.html?_fsub=414374019

You can write your own review of the Moonraker GPA-80 HF multiband vertical (approx 6m high).

MM0JMI Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2017 02:29 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE of 1st review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm surprised by the other two reviews. Chaps, you do realize that you need to install a 13.33m counterpoise with this, don't you? The 6.67m vertical under review is like the short (1/6 lambda) arm of an OFCD ('windom', sort-of) wire antenna installed vertically: you still need the 2/6 lambda (=13.33m for 40m operation) element, either as one horizontal counterpoise to make an "up-and-outer", or more than one to make something less directional. This is in addition to any shorter radials you might employ to make a more reflective ground. You need to get in to the balun box to make this connection. Also, of course, you need to make really sure you have no common-mode currents on the co-ax (ferrite chokes work fine). I have reduced my review from a 5/5 for value to a '4' simply to reflect the fact that the supplier does not spell any of the above out and may therefore be letting customers down this way (they are maybe forgetting that some hams have only a basic licence and have no technical background so these things will not be obvious to them). The actual antenna is still working fine years on and giving good far-European, Asian and American contacts on 40m (the higher bands are currently terrible on any antenna, at least at night when I do most of my operating).

G0PUD Rating: 1/5 Jan 22, 2016 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Poor value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took a punt and bought one of these after doing a fair bit of research on the net... As usual a net search brings up an amazing diverse and somewhat complicated array of differing views and beliefs! However, having moved to a new QTH three years ago and with time at a premium and no antenna, I paid my money and crossed my fingers that this antenna might at least get me on the air.
As with all bets you can lose as well as win. Sadly this antenna is a loser!

It is a simple CB antenna which I could have bought for a fraction of the price paid for this... The enclosed 'balun' was in a poor quality plastic box and the hose clips for securing the aluminium elements very poor.. I had to replace them all with more substantial ones.

On air it proved to be well down on receive (as measured by a dipole I put up subsequently at a cost of a fiver!) It would tune on most bands but with very very limited power out..Basically all the 'power' was tuned out to get a decent SWR. The antenna was mounted on a four metre pole in the clear...

So, I'll keep it as a receive antenna for Radio5Live on my second rig but as a viable HF antenna don't waste your money like I did!!

I might play with installing a few counterpoises and I'll change the balun but basically I paid £80+ for some aliminium tubing....

DO NOT BUY!!!!!

M1OOO Rating: 0/5 Mar 1, 2015 14:21 Send this review to a friend
GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unashamedly, this CB vertical antenna (universally known as a “Silver Rod” and costing £29 in UK (19USD) is being unscrupulously sold by a UK supplier for 3 times that cost as an 80m – 6m dipole with the description “Perfect SWR with ATU”. Of course it’s a perfect SWR with ATU – any piece of tube/wire can be made to have a perfect SWR – so can a dummy load!! Give me a break! However, it’s a perfect antenna for 26 – 30 MHz DX, without an ATU.

Not quite so bad, another UK company fits a 9:1 balun to the same antenna and charges a realistic £45 (30USD) when you take the balun cost into consideration, but again – give me a break! You get what you pay for with either model.