Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QST Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for QST Magazine
QST Magazine Reviews: 277 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $34
Description: Subscription comes with membership to the American Radio Relay League
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the QST Magazine.

WA6KYR Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2017 14:34 Send this review to a friend
A very nice magazine and Congressional representative  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think the ARRL supports our interests rather well. I like QSTís diverse technical articles, the contest and DX information and the honest Product Reviews. I appreciate the tactful product improvement suggestions in QST. This is done without trashing items that may need some improvement. I think QSTs advertisements are extremely helpful in order to figure out where resources may be found for my next project. Besides the magazine we get Logbook of The World and representation in Congress. Without this organization ham radio would have been discontinued shortly after WW2 etc.

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2017 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Kudos to ARRL  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with N2LSO's comments below. I'm a CPA and completely understand where the league is coming from regarding the ads in QST. How do you thing they generate revenue? It doesn't grow on trees.

They are the only US organization that supports ham radio. They protect our hobbies interests. No one else does. You can access thousands of QST articles online. LOTW is free and is used worldwide. It even Integrates with your QRZ logbook. I enjoy QST in print and on my phone. All this and more for about 35 bucks a year. That's $3 a month. Are you kidding me?

I'll always support the league. Rather than complain be proactive. If there is something you don't like the contact them and ask questions. You will get answers. They are not perfect but nothing is. Be happy they are in your corner.

Phil
K1PJR

WB8NUT Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2017 05:10 Send this review to a friend
More than a magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
QST is more than just a magazine. There are tremendous membership benefits with an ARRL membership and the ARRL is the only organization representing the interests of the American amateur radio licensee. The magazine has great articles for all interest from beginner to highly technical. Also an electronic version of QST is available to all members at no additional charge. There is also a good balance between ads, articles and contest information. Unlike other magazines for the amateur, QST actually arrives each and every month on time without fail so any date sensitive information is always early before an event. QST and an ARRL membership is well worth our support. Other magazines like RadCom are great, but for US hams, QST should be your first choice.

KB3ZVR Rating: 1/5 Mar 10, 2017 19:00 Send this review to a friend
QST Sucks  Time owned: more than 12 months
The printed product is just okay with so so content, however the online version has a very poor UX, but that's true of the entire ARRL website. Both suffer from poor navigation. The search function on the QST site is almost non-existent. Oh and the phone app is even worse.

So for a technical organization it's downright embarrassing that the web based components are so poorly executed.

WA8FEA Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2017 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Great magazine (electronic and print)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a member of the ARRL since 1962 for not only the magazine, which I enjoy reading, but for all the services the ARRL offers our hobby. Whether it's the equipment insurance plan (which I take part in), Technical help, help regarding HOA problems and of course, their lobbying work in Washington DC.

So unless you purchase QST at a ham radio dealer's store, the magazine is another benefit you get from being a member of the ARRL. Over the years, I've read other periodicals regarding our hobby, but I've never found one that offered more than this one.

WB8VLC Rating: 2/5 Jan 14, 2017 17:38 Send this review to a friend
buggy 2017 online SW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Terrible new beta online version for 2017 while using 4 pc's:

Windows 8.1 on a dell tablet, Windows 10 and 8.1 two Toshiba laptops and Win 7 on another laptop the only browser it works on is Chrome and then very poorly.

It appears to be software written by a blind intern possibly on a Windows ME machine.

If using Mozilla Firefox or Internet explorer it doesn't have any controls for that matter and it constantly locks up so I only use Chrome.

I Updated all my browsers and my pc's mouse and touch drivers which then made one yaesu usb cable stop working on 1 pc but still on all 4 pc's there was no improvement.

On all pc's the touchscreens pinch n zoom doesn't work, the only way to zoom is with a mouse but zoom is buggy even with the mouse and so it never focuses if zoomed out and it only changes pages when zoomed full out.

It's hit or miss when attempting to move around within a page under either touch screen or mouse control and when moving around a page does work you cannot move to the next page until zooming full out and then it's out of focus.

So you need to be zoomed full out then zoom in to read text, attempt to move the page around with touch or mouse control to read more text, then zoom full out to change pages and repeat this annoying process.

A perfect example of using a computer at its worst.

This is my last year With QST and ARRL but I wish I saw this poor software before I renewed in Dec.

W9JH Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2016 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Enjoying QST for 50 years+  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have always looked forward to receiving QST for over 50 years and still do to this day! Has it changed over that time? Of course ó time does not stand still and the audience has changed as well. When considering the alternative thereís no comparison. I can read CQ for free at the library but donít even bother any more as itís always very late and the articles are not that interesting.

I find many of the ARRL publications to be useful and of good value and quality, including QST.

Life Member

K5YY Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2016 18:19 Send this review to a friend
overall VG for all hams  Time owned: more than 12 months
Agree with a bit too much advertising overall, but our hobby needs a cross section of articles to satisfy the diverse hams in our hobby. Maybe one issue will have little interest to me personally, but the next issue may have a couple of interesting articles. The monthly DX and VHF sections are concise and helpful most of the time to fill us in a bit. The obituary page of our deceased hams is something most of us go thru briefly, although with some sadness. Overall, I have had my ARRL membership continuously for over 55 years, and QST is "part" of that ham radio support system rendered by our ARRL staff and governing body. I love the hobby enough to continue my subscription for now, but I wish I had taken advantage years ago for the lifetime membership ONE TIME payment. It was a bargain price equivalent to about 5 years of annual payments. Now I have lived another 15 years and prices have gone up during that time. My loss! K5YY

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic value; a must read  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been subscribing since 1973 and never missed a year. After one year I knew I would always subscribe so I took advantage of the life membership deal. Best buy ever made. Looking back, it was a steal! The cheapest time is now, it will always increase. If you complain of rising membership rates, blame yourself for not doing the life deal.
I love having a print issue. I save every one in my library, moving the old ones to the attic.
The idea of having all the ads to the back is fantastic. I am so thankful to having so many dealers & manufacturers running their ads.
Reading QST lets me have a choice: read the articles or turn to the back portion and browse the ads. Two magazines in one.
The articles are timely, well written, and informative. I miss World Radio, 73, and others so I am very pleased QST has hung in there.

N2SLO Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Lucky to have a Magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
My two cents: I have expertise in the magazine publishing industry, had major publishing clients as audit clients when I was in big four public accounting. The industry has changed significantly over the last 20 years due to demographics, internet, social media etc. You are darn right- we are lucky to still have a print magazine. Those that complain about advertising- do the math and listen up, the majority of revenue $$$ is not from subscriptions, but "Ad pages". Just look at CQ- prime example. You lose major advertisers hard to replace. We have a niche hobby- every dollar counts. Not to mention fulfillment costs, print, postage, etc.... Be thankful this magazine exists, one day print will be gone and only soft copy available. This is not the 1950's.. time and industries change. for what its worth