Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QST Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for QST Magazine
QST Magazine Reviews: 293 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $34
Description: Subscription comes with membership to the American Radio Relay League
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the QST Magazine.

KA5ROW Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2018 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Too many advertisements not so   Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the many advertisements:

The magazine has always had a few pages at the beginning, and maybe 20+ at the end. every thing in be tween is just good story's and how to do stuff. things of interest.

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2018 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Read it cover to cover  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been getting QST for over 40 years. It is the best single source of ham radio information. It has changed many times over the decades which has been good for the publication. When it comes to learning about new products, the ads are priceless. I am happy they placed 99% of the ads all together in the back pages -- like getting two magazines in one. I love the ads and find it a valuable section of QST. Of course the diverse articles let me always find something of interest.

W9CW Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2018 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Improving with More Technical Articles  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not sure if I necessarily like the new size and paper thickness (seems thinner to me!), but if QST continues to include more applicable technical articles, I'm happy with it's editorial direction.

Now, for those hams who feel that there are too many display ads, you need to understand the economics of magazine publishing. Although QST is the journal of the ARRL, your annual membership fee to ARRL does not begin to cover the cost of paper, printing, postage, payment to free-lance authors, etc. for QST, let alone the total operation of ARRL in Newington. I spent 20 years of my life as an Advertising Director for a monthly consumer electronics magazine. Without display advertising in QST, the magazine, and likely ARRL, would cease to exist. Display advertising revenue is what determines the success or failure of any monthly magazine - a standalone publication or a journal of an association or organization.

It's quite possible that the decrease in total page count of QST effective with the January 2018 issue was driven by decreased display advertising revenue or a renegotiation of their printing contract. Its decreased size certainly allows for a more competitive, and thus more cost-effective, printing contract to a printer with web press capability, and very likely decreased postage. Also, I am sure that ARRL's business-side management would like to see even more display advertising pages, not fewer.

Most magazine publisher's like to see a 50%/50% split between editorial content and display advertising. Be happy that you see quite a number of display advertising pages within QST; otherwise, you would not have a magazine to peruse each month!

W3PMH Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2018 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Too many advertisements  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes I agree with the previous writer about the amount of Advertisements. I can look at and review my MFJ catalog before picking up my QST issue and thus only have between 3/8 to 5/8 of the magazine to read. I do enjoy the DIY articles and look forward to each issue.
BTW where is my February issue? Monthly issues are normally in my hand by the 2nd Monday of the preceding month.

W6UXB Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2018 20:34 Send this review to a friend
New subscriber, pretty good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well I have only been an ARRL subscriber for about 3 months and I have to say was impressed with the Feb 2018 edition lots of home brew ideas and technical articles, although I do agree the advertising is a bit too much so that's why it is not a 5, I do hope they keep the small home brew projects going not many people can build their own radio but can build or learn to build nice station accessories, looking forward to upcoming projects!

WA6KYR Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2018 08:25 Send this review to a friend
QST is more than a magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think that QST does a very nice job with easy to read technical information and projects. Their advertisers are screened to a degree and that gives me confidence to purchase from them. One should not forget that QST is also membership into the ARRL which supports ham radio which would not even exist were it not for ARRL lobbying after World War 2.

K9IKE Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2018 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Bargain, Cause  Time owned: more than 12 months
Contests, educational info, reviews of the latest gear, status of OUR bands, as well as
ads for equipment ( whats wrong with that? )
All hams should be members of this organization.
There's ALWAYS room for improvement but keep up
the great work!

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Jan 12, 2018 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Bad Deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
If QST were not well over 100 pages of advertising & then also part of the ARRL it might be worth $10 a year.Because of those issues it's surely not worth an ARRL membership.I think if the ARRL is the only voice Amateur Radio has then we are voiceless.They think they makes Rules when all they make is suggestions.Even the ARRL Band Plan is just a suggestion.They stand for very little that I do & if I want too see adds for new gear I'll read my latest HRO or DX Engineering Catalog which are far more informative & interesting & they are FREE.It's no wonder to me why less than 25% of Licensed Hams in North America are ARRL members & those numbers keep dropping every year.You get a bunch of nothing for your hard earned dollars.Pretty much Worthless & that money is much better being invested in something worth while & useful.

AC7CW Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2018 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Enjoyable Read  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read the online version using the QST app on my Samsung 10.4" tablet. It's fine, navigation is excellent, it looks great, I enjoy the content and even the ads. I've read QST off and on going back to when it was printed in black and white and honestly: the hobby and the technology have only become more fascinating and the magazines can't help but follow along.

KC2FZN Rating: 2/5 Jan 12, 2018 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Need a change  Time owned: more than 12 months
Need way more build projects. Hands on is the best way to learn and enjoy the hobby at the same time. At the present it is really boring. Need some fresh talent and minds st the helm to bring it back.