Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QST Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for QST Magazine
QST Magazine Reviews: 273 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $34
Description: Subscription comes with membership to the American Radio Relay League
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the QST Magazine.

K4LSX Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 14:42 Send this review to a friend
there are whiners forever....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just over 60 years in ham radio and I have always looked forward to the arrival of QST. As far back as I remember there were always a small cohort that could constantly tell us all that was wrong with the ARRL as well as QST. A brave few have tried to make competing mags and organizations. Most of those efforts ultimately failed. The League/QST is all we have and it ain't bad. What benefit comes from the wailing and moaning? As someone once said - Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way. How about becoming a VE, an OO or teaching a class? Maybe become an Elmer or help a disabled or challenged ham? Help a widow sell a station. Or get involved with the dreaded league and change it. Yes, I have "served my time" doing most of these things.

And BTW - over my years I have subscribed to many publications - QST, Ham Radio, CQ, 73, Masonic magazines, Shrine magazines, NRA magazines, BMW Motorcycle Owners Assoc. magazine, Roadrunner, BSA magazines, American Legion magazine, IEEE magazines, financial industry magazines and others. My take is that the higher quality mags all have "loads of adverts". Publishing a high quality mag is not cheap. The ones with no or very few ads supporting the production are usually in poorer quality forms and not punctual; some so bad they are only available in pdf or laserjet print form.

I hope I can continue to have a new QST every month for the rest of the time that I am able to lurk on the bands.

John
K4LSX

K1FPV Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2016 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Still worth it after over 50 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a life member of ARRL as well a subscriber and have been for well over 50 years! I've got most of my older issues of QST dating back to the early 1960's at 50 per issue compared to $4.08 per issue today(Annual membership $49.00/year to ARRL with the subscription to QST).

When I look at what I was earning back in the early to mid 1960's compared to wages today, I found that the cost of QST today is actually less than it was back in the 1960's taking into account the rate of inflation. The technical articles in QST now are not as technically complex in that then, many of the hams built their own radios and transmitters. I built my first transmitter from an old Admiral TV set. My receiver was a Knight Kit R-55.

Back then, the exams required you to figure out answers, not memorize them! They often may give you questions that required you to figure out the needed value of a resistor using OHM's Law, not some question that has been memorized. They often asked you what the function of a particular component was in a schematic.

Many of the articles then were more complex and often similar in complexity to today's articles in QEX. NO I'M NOT TRYING TO SLAM THE NEWER HAMS OF TODAY! Technology has changed! Back then, TVs were repaired, not thrown away like much of today's consumer electronics.

For the most part, I think that the ARRL has done a good job in holding the prices down. One way has been the advertising. Trust me, the business requirements at ARRL to keep their head above water is the same as it has been in broadcasting. Without commercials on the radio or TV, the stations go out of business....well the same applies to the ARRL! Without advertising, the price goes up much higher.

That is merely my 2 worth on the topic. Thank you ARRL for doing all that you have done over the years!

K1FPV

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Been an avid reader for 36 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 36 years of being a ham I finally became a Life Member of the ARRL. I felt it was well worth the investment to support the only organization that has a significant voice in supporting our rights.

As to some of the comments below:

1) Advertising: many complain of too many ads. Well, I suppose the ARRL does have a choice, increase our annual price or increase the ads. Personally, I like to see all the new gear.

2) Overly technical articles: I find that some of the articles are a bit over my head despite the fact that my career is in technology. However, instead of getting frustrated about it I start looking things up on line. The whole move to digital had me scratching my head, but now I am deeply embedded early on to this newest venue in amateur radio. In my opinion we should stretch our minds, not complain and look for a "USA Today" type 4th grade writing style (ever wonder why they're so popular?? lots of pictures and simpleton writing...sorry, not my type of paper nor would I be interested in that for QST.)

3) I DO wish that QST / ARRL would give us the option of only getting the digital version. I only read it on my iPad and think it's such a waste for them to mail it to me. Here's a chance to save money!

N4MU Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2016 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Let me join in the fray...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay. I'll give you the "too many ads" thing but just think what it would cost per issue without them! I do have somewhat of an issue with all the ARRL ads. They could cut down on some of that I think. Otherwise I look through the ads for new equipment or interesting accessories. The tech articles "are above the average ham"? Come on. I admit a FEW specialized articles might be but obviously you haven't read through the entire magazine. If most of the tech articles are above the average (whatever that is) ham we're in a world of hurt...perhaps we are. All in all, I enjoy reading it and as a retired guy (any more of those out there?) the $49 is of cocern but I'd blow that much and more on other junk anyway. This way I have the gift that keeps on giving all year long...

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 12:52 Send this review to a friend
TOO EXPENSIVE??  Time owned: more than 12 months
I realize there are people on extremely fixed incomes, and even $49/year can have an impact on their budget/finances.

For the rest of us, membership in ARRL equals $0.134 per day. We get to vote with our wallets. So, if you don't think membership and QST is worth that amount, so be it.

If the new "amateur radio protection" act does becomes law, this will be huge potential benefit for those live in HOA/CC&R communities. How else would that have even been possible without the national actions of the ARRL?

Maybe it's too bad that QST cannot be found on magazine racks. But given the cost of print publications, it is likely that the cost per issue would be greater than the $4/month ARRL membership fee.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

K5ML Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Look Forward to Every Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in the mid '70's, ARRL offered a life membership for $175. Recognizing a bargain, I happily paid the life membership fee and got QST for life at no extra charge in the deal. Overpriced? Not at this QTH.

WB4M Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2016 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Magazine or catalog?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with the idea of a digital-only membership at a reduced price. No printed QST magazine, just an on-line version.. just send me an email to let me know its available.
The last 50 pages of my latest issue are solid advertising, so are about the first 30 with other small ads scatter along the way. I flip through it and usually nothing interesting so it ends up in the trash can the day I receive it.

W1RKW Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2016 10:44 Send this review to a friend
not worth $49 annually  Time owned: months
My membership/subscription started in the late 70's and it wasn't until about 6 or 7 years ago I let go of the ARRL and QST. I did a side by side comparison of the more recent QST and QST of the 70's and 80's and formed the opinion that the content of QST had changed. ARRL opting for less complicated construction articles over the more complex articles of yesteryear forced my decision to cancel renewal. Got tired of the antenna for less than $10 and a 100 ways to skin a dipole type articles. I threw in the towel and never looked back nor miss it.

N5XJT Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2016 10:29 Send this review to a friend
No Longer Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
QST used to be great and I devoured every word for years. Now most tech articles are above the average ham, reviews are more spec oriented as opposed to on the air usage and overall the articles and departments do not apply to most hams. Now I go through the issue in about 15 minutes. I do not support paying for the many pages of MFJ ads and reading and re-reading K3 reviews. ARRL is the only voice we have, otherwise I would not renew QST as the mag is no longer useful for me.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 10:18 Send this review to a friend
What's Not to Like?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I truly look forward to receiving my QST every month. I enjoy the honest and detailed product reviews. Recently, a Vintage Radio column was added, which appeals to me a ham of 52 years. The regular editorials and department columns enable me to keep abreast of other developments in our hobby. The digital version is handy on my Android phone.

From a cost/value perspective, QST and ARRL membership are tops. Although I'd taken QST on and off since 1965, I joined as a Life Member in 1974. In that case, 8 quarterly payments of $30 for a total of $240 got me QST for life. How old are you? Consider life membership. The ARRL does it's best to protect spectrum and our right to a reasonable antenna in restricted neighborhoods. I've also had occasion to call ARRL regarding RFI/TVI and antenna restriction assistance. Their counsel was useful and worked well.

Do I read QST cover to cover? No. I'm not a contester and attend few hamfests as most are on Sunday. Even at $49 a year, given the governmental representation and individual assistance, it's a great deal. Yes, I do enjoy the advertisements. It's fun to dream!