Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QST Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for QST Magazine
QST Magazine Reviews: 270 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $34
Description: Subscription comes with membership to the American Radio Relay League

You can write your own review of the QST Magazine.

N4MU Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2016 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Let me join in the fray...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay. I'll give you the "too many ads" thing but just think what it would cost per issue without them! I do have somewhat of an issue with all the ARRL ads. They could cut down on some of that I think. Otherwise I look through the ads for new equipment or interesting accessories. The tech articles "are above the average ham"? Come on. I admit a FEW specialized articles might be but obviously you haven't read through the entire magazine. If most of the tech articles are above the average (whatever that is) ham we're in a world of hurt...perhaps we are. All in all, I enjoy reading it and as a retired guy (any more of those out there?) the $49 is of cocern but I'd blow that much and more on other junk anyway. This way I have the gift that keeps on giving all year long...
K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 12:52 Send this review to a friend
TOO EXPENSIVE??  Time owned: more than 12 months
I realize there are people on extremely fixed incomes, and even $49/year can have an impact on their budget/finances.

For the rest of us, membership in ARRL equals $0.134 per day. We get to vote with our wallets. So, if you don't think membership and QST is worth that amount, so be it.

If the new "amateur radio protection" act does becomes law, this will be huge potential benefit for those live in HOA/CC&R communities. How else would that have even been possible without the national actions of the ARRL?

Maybe it's too bad that QST cannot be found on magazine racks. But given the cost of print publications, it is likely that the cost per issue would be greater than the $4/month ARRL membership fee.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA
K5ML Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Look Forward to Every Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in the mid '70's, ARRL offered a life membership for $175. Recognizing a bargain, I happily paid the life membership fee and got QST for life at no extra charge in the deal. Overpriced? Not at this QTH.
WB4M Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2016 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Magazine or catalog?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with the idea of a digital-only membership at a reduced price. No printed QST magazine, just an on-line version.. just send me an email to let me know its available.
The last 50 pages of my latest issue are solid advertising, so are about the first 30 with other small ads scatter along the way. I flip through it and usually nothing interesting so it ends up in the trash can the day I receive it.
W1RKW Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2016 10:44 Send this review to a friend
not worth $49 annually  Time owned: months
My membership/subscription started in the late 70's and it wasn't until about 6 or 7 years ago I let go of the ARRL and QST. I did a side by side comparison of the more recent QST and QST of the 70's and 80's and formed the opinion that the content of QST had changed. ARRL opting for less complicated construction articles over the more complex articles of yesteryear forced my decision to cancel renewal. Got tired of the antenna for less than $10 and a 100 ways to skin a dipole type articles. I threw in the towel and never looked back nor miss it.
N5XJT Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2016 10:29 Send this review to a friend
No Longer Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
QST used to be great and I devoured every word for years. Now most tech articles are above the average ham, reviews are more spec oriented as opposed to on the air usage and overall the articles and departments do not apply to most hams. Now I go through the issue in about 15 minutes. I do not support paying for the many pages of MFJ ads and reading and re-reading K3 reviews. ARRL is the only voice we have, otherwise I would not renew QST as the mag is no longer useful for me.
K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 10:18 Send this review to a friend
What's Not to Like?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I truly look forward to receiving my QST every month. I enjoy the honest and detailed product reviews. Recently, a Vintage Radio column was added, which appeals to me a ham of 52 years. The regular editorials and department columns enable me to keep abreast of other developments in our hobby. The digital version is handy on my Android phone.

From a cost/value perspective, QST and ARRL membership are tops. Although I'd taken QST on and off since 1965, I joined as a Life Member in 1974. In that case, 8 quarterly payments of $30 for a total of $240 got me QST for life. How old are you? Consider life membership. The ARRL does it's best to protect spectrum and our right to a reasonable antenna in restricted neighborhoods. I've also had occasion to call ARRL regarding RFI/TVI and antenna restriction assistance. Their counsel was useful and worked well.

Do I read QST cover to cover? No. I'm not a contester and attend few hamfests as most are on Sunday. Even at $49 a year, given the governmental representation and individual assistance, it's a great deal. Yes, I do enjoy the advertisements. It's fun to dream!
ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 09:28 Send this review to a friend
ARRL member for 24 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been an ARRL member and have received QST for the past 24 years. I think the QST content is excellent, I particularly like the equipment reviews, technical articles - especially antenna articles. I also enjoy browsing their adverts - always good to see what latest equipment and accessories are available. I think it is very good value for money....however, I think the digital copy membership is too high, considering it costs almost nothing to distribute. I have always opted for the printed version, and think their membership fees for the printed version has always been excellent value, considering they had to mail this large magazine all the way to the bottom of Africa. They have always been very punctual with distribution - I always received the printed QST a month before it's due date.

Having 24 years of QST magazines stacked up in a large closet in my garage, I decided to change this year to the digital version. Far better to store all the copies on a hard drive, and read the magazines on my tablet. However, I think the ARRL should make the digital only version more attractive to their members - the biggest cost for QST is distribution, and there is virtually no cost for them to distribute the digital version. It costs me some data to download it, but not much cost for the ARRL. The ARRL should encourage this digital only version through better pricing, and it is more ecologically friendly - no timber used, no fuel for transport costs, no ink costs and no printer costs. All considered, I am very happy with the ARRL and QST, it is just the cost of the digital version that needs to be reduced.
NG9W Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2016 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Not Worth $49 Yearly  Time owned: more than 12 months
When ARRL upped their membership dues 25% from $39 to $49 yearly I finally decided I wouldn't renew. Had they left it at $39 for just the digital edition of QST, I would have gone for that. Now I just buy their DVD at $25 at the end of the year and read QST a year late.
WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Support ARRL Through Membership  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like to think that I am supporting the ARRL with my annual membership fee of $49/yr. Look at the Big Picture . . . now more than ever we need to have a voice that is out there representing Amateur Radio. The league,in my opinion, does a pretty good job of representing us. May not always agree but I do feel that we have good representation looking after our best interest. The magazine I agree is a lot of ads and articles that I am not totally interested in reading. It is just an added benefit to my membership fee. The fee really is not that much money this day and age. Don't forget about Logbook of the World(LoTW) being supported by the ARRL. This is really a great benefit, as well as the ability to use the ARRL for DXCC Awards and outgoing QSL cards, etc. Please remember that all of us hams together supporting our fine hobby is much stronger through membership in the League and we can achieve more as a larger organization. Thank you in advance for your continued support of our flagship, the ARRL.