Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QST Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for QST Magazine
QST Magazine Reviews: 243 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $34
Description: Subscription comes with membership to the American Radio Relay League
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the QST Magazine.

SWMAN Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2013 09:36 Send this review to a friend
ok for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice to read and look forward to getting it every month. Some of the articles are a little over my head though.

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 08:53 Send this review to a friend
The Only Game in Town  Time owned: more than 12 months
C'mon, QST may not be perfect, but it's the best we have, respected and read worldwide. Yes I read Ham Radio and 73 Magazines, but they are extinct, and if you think CQ is an alternative, check the reviews here. As for the Ads, think of how expensive QST would be without, and they are informative.. As for not testing what they don't like, I never have heard of any such specific instance. Just what equipment have they refused to test? Curious minds want to know. Tell us please.
Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

KE2SX Rating: 3/5 Sep 30, 2013 15:15 Send this review to a friend
It's OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
But half of it is advertising, and they've apparently never met a radio or other reviewed gear they don't like. Guess it would scare away the advertisers.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2013 13:58 Send this review to a friend
technically maybe not a must have  Time owned: more than 12 months
maybe not a must have, but articles are very clear, easy to understand and let you to imagine, think and produce something you need. The ads are a lot but then they let you know what you can find on the market and what you would be better off tinkering hands on.

WY4J Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Nothing Wrong With QST  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoy receiving and reading my monthly QST as well as supporting the ARRL for the last 36 years. The magazine is colorful, interesting, well laid out with something for everyone while keeping in mind their vast spectrum of readers.

So what's the alternative? Bad mouth the ARRL and end up with no representation so the commercial interest and their lobbyists can rip our ham allocations from us. Something to think about.

W1JKA Rating: 2/5 Sep 30, 2013 10:00 Send this review to a friend
No thanks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Last QST subscription 1966,QRT for 43 yrs. Back on air 3 yrs. ago saw a QST in Dentist office waiting room, looked through it and only recognized a thin glossy version of a HRO catalogue. I can see why the younger jack in the box shack operators would like it. Again no thanks.

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Look forward to it coming each month. Good articles.

K2TPZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Eagerly Look forward to QST  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoy reading QST and look forward to receiving it each month. The articles and features are varied and I always find several to be of great interest to me. Some others are not. But I am sure the articles I'm not particularly interested in are of interest to other readers.

QST helps me to keep up on the news that effects my hobby. I also spend a lot of time reading the Ads. I've been reading the Ads and dreaming about the newest "toys" since I first started out in this hobby 55 years ago.

My XYL sent me the magazine each month when I was serving in Vietnam. One day a fellow soldier asked me about the hobby after seeing me reading QST while at chow. He said he had thought about becoming a ham for years. Before he left for home he took the Novice Exam and passed. Years later I worked him on 40 CW. I didn't remember him but he remembered me. He was in ND or SD. It was great to see he stayed with the hobby.

I joined ARRL because they are fighting to preserve my favorite hobby. QST is just a great benefit of membership. I'm counting the days until I receive the next issue.

QRPNEW Rating: 3/5 Sep 30, 2013 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Poor Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I get QST with my membership which is OK.
I like supporting the ARRL.

QST in its current form is a light weight magazine full of basically nothing worth mentioning. I cant even recall 1 article over the last 10 years that I would class as memorable or a must read.

What I would like to see happen to QST is this. They should make QST, QEX and NCJ all one magazine. This will make it fat and thick like the Japanese CQ magazine. The Japanese CQ magazine caters for everybody from general articles, homebrewing, antennas, technical matters and contesting all in the one magazine. I dont mind paying a bit extra and I am sure the ARRL would make a huge savings on their production and distribution costs. What it would mean is that you take QST on a holiday or on a plane and have access to a broad range of material that suites your whim or interest. If I get QST I flick through it quickly and throw it in the bin its that bad. If it incorporated all the other magazines I would at least keep it for a month if I read all the articles from NCJ and QEX as well.

I would like to see QST become more technical. It should be combination of the old Ham Radio magazine and CQ and then some.

Some of things I would like to see in QST
are:

More technical in-depth articles.

More reviews of test equipment like QST has been doing lately. The article on Rigol VS Tektronix in a review was excellent.

Bring back the expanded test reports on radios.

Review more commercial HF equipment like Harris, Sunair and whoever else.

More serious homebrewing articles for radios and amplifiers. The lack of material in the Handbooks is a reflection of QST not publishing enough homebrew articles.

There is a huge interest in AM. When last did we see a article in QST on AM or making a AM transmitter. There numerous groups on the internet just dedicated to this part of ham radio that is largely ignored by QST. The only thing they seem to be interested in is contesting DX'ing and forget the rest of the stuff thats popular with many hams.

More reviews of the numerous ham kits like Softrock, Hendricks and numerous other ham radio kit sellers. Even things like the HPSDR radios from Anan. Favorable reviews that could spark more interest in homebrewing like the hey day of ham radio. Now there is no going to the past but there are some excellent kits advanced ham radio stuff like DDS kits, SDR and test and measurement equipment. There is a lot of test equipment on the market however there is nobody reviewing this equipment. You dont know if you buying junk or good equipment. QST doing test equipment reviews could drag some electronic hobbyists into the ham universe.

While hams have become blackbox operators with poor technical skills. I also see many hams pursuing homebrewing and investigating the technical side of the hobby by building and testing the equipment that they build. QST just misses this side of the hobby with basic articles like how to use a multimeter. I would like to see articles on how to use a Network analyzer and such equipment which is available to hams these days.

What I would also like to see in QST is articles on restoring or repairing old HP/Agilent test equipment. I am sure there are many retired HP design engineers who are hams who could write such articles. These kind of articles would make me keep QST rather than throw the issues into rubbish bin year after year.

If hams lament how dumb down ham radio is becoming, its because magazines like QST are being dumm-ed down not being smartened up.

The message simple turn QST into a real technical ham magazine with a broader range of articles that reflect ham radio as a whole.

W7WQ Rating: 0/5 Sep 29, 2013 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Makes good firestarter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Really boring, unless you like to look at ads. I renew my ARRL membership now and again to see if it has improved. It hasn't. Almost as interesting as CSPAN or QVC network.