Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QST Magazine Help

Reviews Summary for QST Magazine
QST Magazine Reviews: 277 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $34
Description: Subscription comes with membership to the American Radio Relay League
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the QST Magazine.

VE6ND Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2016 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Best of the best   Time owned: more than 12 months
It's nice to see that they are going strong still. Here we have RAC which on its best day is terrible and only published 6 times a year.
QST does have articles that don't appease everyone however they do keep up with current technology, where we are heading and if you're looking for that 6146B exciter then perhaps back issues of QST are your bet.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2016 16:46 Send this review to a friend
We are lucky to even have a ham radio magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have read all the ham radio magazines for a number of years, including the ones now out of business or going out soon. Given the market size and niche topic, we are even lucky to have a magazine these days, especially with the small profit margin now on advertising and ease of obtaining information on the internet. QST has made some improvements over the past few years (not so long ago it was B&W), now the interim electronic version with videos and added content. Provide some feedback via your section manager or directly to QST rather than reading it here...I did a while back and they respond.

If you cannot rate it a 5 tell ARRL what you want so it can be a 5. They are not hard to reach.
Chris WO8USA

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2016 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ummm, what K4LSX said. Actually, there is a great alternative? Opportunity is knocking! Start your own ham radio magazine! How hard could it be? And BTW I think the price of QST might just include something else? Perhaps the 5001 good things the ARRL does for ham radio? I wonder if that enters into the cost of the magazine at all? Nah, I'd rather just bad-mouth them. Keep up the good work OMs (ES YLs)
Respectfully
Bob WC3O

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't believe the negative comments.. Sure it has product info and evaluation..I like this month they reviewed ICOM 7300 with SDR Technology...Now that is spot on.

They try to cover all, from DX Expedition, digital, product review, technical questions answered...(Q & A)..and more...

What more can you ask for?

Is there advertisement?, you bet, like any other magazine.

About the price. It is ridiculously cheap. Try another hobby, and see what it costs...

And Ham radio is not a large market. There are about 750,000 (Approximate in USA)..That is peanuts, compared to other hobbies like gaming, radio control air planes...etc...

In summary, QST Magazine is an excellent magazine

K4LSX Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 14:42 Send this review to a friend
there are whiners forever....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just over 60 years in ham radio and I have always looked forward to the arrival of QST. As far back as I remember there were always a small cohort that could constantly tell us all that was wrong with the ARRL as well as QST. A brave few have tried to make competing mags and organizations. Most of those efforts ultimately failed. The League/QST is all we have and it ain't bad. What benefit comes from the wailing and moaning? As someone once said - Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way. How about becoming a VE, an OO or teaching a class? Maybe become an Elmer or help a disabled or challenged ham? Help a widow sell a station. Or get involved with the dreaded league and change it. Yes, I have "served my time" doing most of these things.

And BTW - over my years I have subscribed to many publications - QST, Ham Radio, CQ, 73, Masonic magazines, Shrine magazines, NRA magazines, BMW Motorcycle Owners Assoc. magazine, Roadrunner, BSA magazines, American Legion magazine, IEEE magazines, financial industry magazines and others. My take is that the higher quality mags all have "loads of adverts". Publishing a high quality mag is not cheap. The ones with no or very few ads supporting the production are usually in poorer quality forms and not punctual; some so bad they are only available in pdf or laserjet print form.

I hope I can continue to have a new QST every month for the rest of the time that I am able to lurk on the bands.

John
K4LSX

K1FPV Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2016 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Still worth it after over 50 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a life member of ARRL as well a subscriber and have been for well over 50 years! I've got most of my older issues of QST dating back to the early 1960's at 50 per issue compared to $4.08 per issue today(Annual membership $49.00/year to ARRL with the subscription to QST).

When I look at what I was earning back in the early to mid 1960's compared to wages today, I found that the cost of QST today is actually less than it was back in the 1960's taking into account the rate of inflation. The technical articles in QST now are not as technically complex in that then, many of the hams built their own radios and transmitters. I built my first transmitter from an old Admiral TV set. My receiver was a Knight Kit R-55.

Back then, the exams required you to figure out answers, not memorize them! They often may give you questions that required you to figure out the needed value of a resistor using OHM's Law, not some question that has been memorized. They often asked you what the function of a particular component was in a schematic.

Many of the articles then were more complex and often similar in complexity to today's articles in QEX. NO I'M NOT TRYING TO SLAM THE NEWER HAMS OF TODAY! Technology has changed! Back then, TVs were repaired, not thrown away like much of today's consumer electronics.

For the most part, I think that the ARRL has done a good job in holding the prices down. One way has been the advertising. Trust me, the business requirements at ARRL to keep their head above water is the same as it has been in broadcasting. Without commercials on the radio or TV, the stations go out of business....well the same applies to the ARRL! Without advertising, the price goes up much higher.

That is merely my 2 worth on the topic. Thank you ARRL for doing all that you have done over the years!

K1FPV

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Been an avid reader for 36 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 36 years of being a ham I finally became a Life Member of the ARRL. I felt it was well worth the investment to support the only organization that has a significant voice in supporting our rights.

As to some of the comments below:

1) Advertising: many complain of too many ads. Well, I suppose the ARRL does have a choice, increase our annual price or increase the ads. Personally, I like to see all the new gear.

2) Overly technical articles: I find that some of the articles are a bit over my head despite the fact that my career is in technology. However, instead of getting frustrated about it I start looking things up on line. The whole move to digital had me scratching my head, but now I am deeply embedded early on to this newest venue in amateur radio. In my opinion we should stretch our minds, not complain and look for a "USA Today" type 4th grade writing style (ever wonder why they're so popular?? lots of pictures and simpleton writing...sorry, not my type of paper nor would I be interested in that for QST.)

3) I DO wish that QST / ARRL would give us the option of only getting the digital version. I only read it on my iPad and think it's such a waste for them to mail it to me. Here's a chance to save money!

N4MU Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2016 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Let me join in the fray...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay. I'll give you the "too many ads" thing but just think what it would cost per issue without them! I do have somewhat of an issue with all the ARRL ads. They could cut down on some of that I think. Otherwise I look through the ads for new equipment or interesting accessories. The tech articles "are above the average ham"? Come on. I admit a FEW specialized articles might be but obviously you haven't read through the entire magazine. If most of the tech articles are above the average (whatever that is) ham we're in a world of hurt...perhaps we are. All in all, I enjoy reading it and as a retired guy (any more of those out there?) the $49 is of cocern but I'd blow that much and more on other junk anyway. This way I have the gift that keeps on giving all year long...

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 12:52 Send this review to a friend
TOO EXPENSIVE??  Time owned: more than 12 months
I realize there are people on extremely fixed incomes, and even $49/year can have an impact on their budget/finances.

For the rest of us, membership in ARRL equals $0.134 per day. We get to vote with our wallets. So, if you don't think membership and QST is worth that amount, so be it.

If the new "amateur radio protection" act does becomes law, this will be huge potential benefit for those live in HOA/CC&R communities. How else would that have even been possible without the national actions of the ARRL?

Maybe it's too bad that QST cannot be found on magazine racks. But given the cost of print publications, it is likely that the cost per issue would be greater than the $4/month ARRL membership fee.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

K5ML Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Look Forward to Every Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in the mid '70's, ARRL offered a life membership for $175. Recognizing a bargain, I happily paid the life membership fee and got QST for life at no extra charge in the deal. Overpriced? Not at this QTH.