Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT TH-UVF9 Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH-UVF9
TYT TH-UVF9 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $76.00
Description: Dual-band 4+ watt handheld Chinese radio. Has reversed white characters on a black, monochrome display. Battery is removable Lithium Ion 1600 mAh at 7.4 volt. Has built-in charging jack directly on the battery.
More info: http://www.tyt888.com

You can write your own review of the TYT TH-UVF9.

W9MT Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2013 21:02 Send this review to a friend
My second unit. This one's a keeper...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a previous unit on Amazon last year. (See my review under TYT TH-UV9R. I put it in the wrong place...that one was a TH-UVF9, also.) My prior unit had problems being quite deaf on 440, while working well on 220. It was the radio, and not the antenna or the settings.

I wanted to like that radio, but I wanted both bands to work properly, so I returned it.

Hoping TYT would fix their problems, I decided to recently try another unit from a later production run (once the pipeline of earlier units was flushed) with the same 220/440 band setup, from an eBay vendor in Kentucky. I'm happy to say this later unit, purchased some 6-7 months after the other does NOT exhibit the same issues. It works great.

I guess there's a lesson to be learned here...

Just like not buying a car in its first year of a model's run, the same can be said not buying the glitches within new radios that just hit the market.

(The same goes for 787 Dreamliner jet aircraft.)

Hmmmm....even the antenna now has a label that says 220/440. I suspect some issues got cleaned up in the past 6 months by TYT's engineers and production people.

Don't be afraid to buy this configuration. It's a keeper !!!

VE6BGM Rating: 2/5 Jun 16, 2013 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Really is a toy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have 2 of these, only because their price is cheap. You get what you pay for. The receive audio is horrible but better with a speaker mike. They are programmed very similar to all the other Chinese radios that are on the market. They are a lot worse than the Wouxun radios. I give them a bonus mark because they have a small arrow that at least shows what frequency [band] it is set to to transmit. However, the mark is so small it is hard to see. Like most of the Chinese dual band radios, it is not a true dual watch. There is no separate volume control for band A or B. Thus, if there are comms. on both of the frequencies listening to, the audio switiches back and forth, basically cancelling each other out. Can set up the display light to come on at various times, except one is on all the time. Receive just plain stinks compared to other true amateur HHs and the Wouxuns. I don't think these HHs should be used by new amateurs as their first or only HH. Get a real HH first and use these toys for monitoring but only if close to repeaters.

WS2F Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2013 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Good for a cheap 2nd HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I met a friend at a he local hamfest and he had several TYT radios that had brought to sell. I was looking for a cheap second HT and the price was right. If you're looking for an easy-to-use HT, stay away from this, but, if you're willing to read the manual and have some patience, you'll be happy with the TH-UVF9. Audio is great, display is informative and easy to read, voice prompts are a in a nice female voice. The dual standby receive is pretty cool. I too like the fact that two charging cords are supplied, one for 120v and 1 for charging in a car. One less accessory I have to buy! I will most likely buy a second battery, even though the one supplied is a 1600 MaH and seems to last all day. There are several features I'd like to see, like channel scan lockout, but, hey, at this price, I can't complain too loud. Menu functions are somewhat cumbersome and take some getting used to. There are quirky things you have to do for various functions, like erasing memories.

Overall impression is very good, but, that's where I'll stop, you'll need patience to learn how to use this small little toy.

K7DAA Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2013 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Additional Experiences  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Adding a bit more to my last review, I've had a chance to try everything out now. I rate it at a solid 4.5 stars overall.

The battery is interchangeable with the Baofeng UV-5R's battery, but since this battery has a built-in charging circuit, the capacity is reduced a bit to make room for that circuit. This battery is 1600 mAh, compared to the UV-5R's 1800 mAh. The upside is that you only need the wall wart charger to make a complete travel package, whereas the UV-5R requires that little charging stand as well.

Another thing I like about this TYT transceiver is that it included a free 12-volt battery charger with a cigarette lighter plug for charging in the car. This is a big advantage over the UV-5R, since that one can only use a battery eliminator, but not a charger, for car use. This makes the TYT a lot more versatile.

The transmit audio is noticeably louder and brighter than either of my UV-5R models. It's got more punch to the transmit audio, and I've had several unsolicited comments on how good it sounds.

One negative so far is that, although it claims to have dual-watch capabilities, I haven't been able to make that work for me. Maybe it's just cockpit error, but it seems to only want to hear one channel at a time, even with two memory or VFO channels displayed. I'll keep trying, but that's the only thing that hasn't worked as claimed right out of the box. Not a deal breaker, but somewhat annoying.

The FM broadcast radio with multiple memory channels is a real winner, and can be set so that activity on a ham channel will interrupt it. Good design feature.

Dave - K7DAA