Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-990S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-990S
Kenwood TS-990S Reviews: 96 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $7999
Description: Kenwood FLAGSHIP TS-990S has arrived. Kenwoods sets a new preformance and operating standard for the ultimate Amateur Transceiver. Advanced KENWOOD technologies deliver a Top-End receive and transmitt experience on Amateur Bands 160 Mtr to 6 Mtrs. Kenwood proudly adds the 990S to its trendsetting TS series!

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-990S.

N6UG Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2016 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning the TS-990S for a year I'm still very happy with the radio. I love having all the controls out front. I've worked a lot of CW this last year. The filters make it easy to pull out difficult signals. I also work digital, ex. JT65, the computer interfaces are simple to use and work very well.

For me, this radio is a good value and just plain fun to operate!
VK4FO Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2016 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Whilst I've only owned the TS990 for a relatively short period, I thought I'd take the opportunity to make some early observations.
For those of you contemplating a purchase of the above radio, please be assured that the setup procedure is nothing at all to be feared. The accompanying manual, in pictures and text, provides the average ham with all of the information necessary in an easy to read, simple format.
On air this radio is brilliant, the last time I said that was when using my TS950SDX and in my short view, the TS990 is in that class and probably better.
I will update this review at a later date when I've had more time to evaluate this radio.
AL1H Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2016 14:36 Send this review to a friend
The Best Transciever yet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my TS 990s about 6 months ago now and as the previous ham said very very programable fior what the user wants and has a great reciever. I have
had lots of radios over the years which includes the icom 7800 and the yaesu DCT 9000 amoung others,
but this one, the TS 990s is really nice. My only complaint is the egonomics are not laid out very well and the owners manual is hard to understand ( the way it is written and set up). Other than that
I can customize it the way I want and the performance is great. Reciever is great and so is the dual screens.
AK9S Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2016 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Beyond Expectations...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Only after using this rig for several weeks does one realize how great of a value it truly is. Worth every penny and then some. The main receiver is beyond outstanding, with a sub receiver (TS-590sg type) just good enough for ordinary reception. The radio can be highly customized and offers sensitivity and filtration which work wonders under extremely heavy QRM situations. I can understand why some reviewers may not give it a 5 rating, the radio has many buttons and can be intimidating to operate until one becomes acquainted with it.
2E0DQQ Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Firstly, I should state from the outset that I've been a Yaesu fan for many years, but getting the opportunity to use a TS990 for a few days completely changed my mind. To me the TS990 is a work of art; easy to use, EQ setting that will please the most passionate audiophile and a receiver that in my humble opinion is going to go down in history as one of the best ever made. It's just a joy to use in every way. The VERY first contact I made was to a Canadian station in Ottawa followed closely thereafter by 2 stations in Florida. My antenna is a Mosley 2 element tri-bander and the TS990 was hearing things that the FTDX5000 could only dream about. This was especially true in relation to 80m. The TS990 is just amazing. The big part for most people nowadays is obviously the money involved with radios like the 990. Yes, it is expensive but like everything in life, you get what you pay for and boy ohhh boy - this beast just does it for me bigtime. My advice, if you get the chance to get one, grab with both hands and run home immediately - you will not regret it.
DD4DA Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2016 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Just an Update of experiences  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am own the radio near 2 years and did the 1.11 update last week, that just fiexed some build-in keyer issues. I miss the build-in cw-decoder feature of the TS590SG and it would be nice to have a dual-notch like the IC7000's. In the past years, i most qso's are done in CW (95%) because the sound of the IC-756Pro3 was'nt good enough and the rig lacks in output power in SSB. In the 10 years of operating the icom rig, i had never found a setup that works proper. The TS990s comes with a great sound in ssb without change the default settings and using an external add-on, just the MC60a (about 30Years old) who's preamp is bypassed - just using the dynamic mic. In Dx purpose i limit the audio bandwith, especialy the lower-cut frequency raised. All of the settings could be backuped externaly by a memory-stick and the CAT-Program relased by Kenwood. The rig are able to hold-on two different profiles that contains different setup's and can be selected as required. I use this for two different PA's with different power limit settings for each band and mode. It's very comfortable to use this for a quick change of an entire setup of the hole trx.
I had read about AGC-Issues - well, i can't confirm that. The sensivity and delay requires to setup them. This values are very depend on the filter setup and bandwith. The AGC is build by software as a pice of code in the dsp and be able to cooperate with the bandwith filters. The behavior is different as an old school styled one who just detect the rectified and smoothed received signal as the only value. This is common used in all modern receivers who are if-based digital signal processed. Some receiver uses the signal of the last IF-Stage and generate the agc voltage,that regulate the amplifier stages of the RX. The optimizing of them is limited by hardware modifications. The DSP generation is more flexibel and can be improved by a software update. That's the way where most of the common rig's going. Depending of the update policy, this is a good or bad way to to go. I had not problems about the AGC. It's handling is similar as every other rig a had owned. More flexibility and values to tune that's available, as more complicated is to find the special setup that's required.
A pitty is, that's impossible to send out a previously recorded received signal back to sender like a rehearsal. You need a trick to do that. I also miss a protocol like winkey to control the build-in keyer by an external logbook.
Similar is the missing of remote usable command set that support the PSK31 and RTTY mode as like a modem or other. An ethernet is available and runs up`to 100mbit full-duplex; This could be used by sending I/Q signal for monitoring or external signal processing by an SDR-program. In addition, i miss an output socket for the IF. I don't know why most of the modern TRX don't have such one. I have no idea why. Well, i am lucky with that TS990s and will not give them away.
I know that here are better radios out there but i am sure that all around the things, i got for the the best for that price. An Icom IC-7851 or a Hilberling maybe perform the TS990s out but they all cost a double of the Kenwood.
ZS2DL Rating: 2/5 Apr 14, 2016 23:55 Send this review to a friend
Buyers Remorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Short and sweet, After 2 years I can honestly say
I miss other radios I have owned in the passed. which tells me I made a mistake in buying the TS990.

It has AGC and RX sensitivity issues, and backup support from Kenwood is non existent.

I am so disappointed because I feel duped!

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Dumped the flex for my 990  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a few Flex radios, 6300 and a 6500. I also was in the que for a Maestro (waited three months) but never was released to production. I was charged the full price of $1200 for a Maestro that was not even ready for production and there are STILL delays. Matter of fact, most of their equipment has a 6 week lead time now!

Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and order the TS-990S. Sick and tired of the constant Flexradio endless delays and postponements. I love this 990, lots of knobs, works out of the box. I have had many CQ's and did not even open the manual yet. Yes its a big nut to spend but, you get what you pay for. I have had many CQ's tell me I sound much better than when I had the flex. If you are thinking about the 990, just pull the trigger.
KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Something else!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
TS990 update, brought a TS990s last Oct, wrote a short review, was happy with it then but now 6 months later am finishing up a new station built around the TS990s, this radio is a WINNER. I like to lissen to DX on 40m in the middle of the night for long shot DX if there is any. If a DX station calls another DX station from most anyware an the first DX station get his call returned I hear then ( always). Have never had a radio that would do that before, I have a Yeasu FT9000D with all the filters ( GREAT RADIO) but it woun't do that! TS900s- 5 stars!. This radio is so much more than what I have said , I had a rotating dipole for long shot DX on 20- 40m, an I was happy with, I have since taken it down and gave it to a friend, because the 40m dipole I built for general lissening and transmitting does just as well with the TS990s. Now thats a RADIO!
WB2WW Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2016 15:51 Send this review to a friend
ESSB sound & more.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi! WB2WW.
My experiences with the Kenwood TS990S is phenomenal! that the way Kenwood company put together after a long awaited return of Kenwood products to the line where it belong! the Top to claim the number 1 I know that the flex 6000 series and the Yeasu, Icom and other company are rushing in with new product,they are trying to catch up with all the technology that this Radio has built in already. never the less from my point of view in turn of AUDIO!!!!!! anything closer to a Kenwood TS950sdx well we won't complain but this one is in the class by him self,. I own the Icom 7700 for 11 months and waited for the right moment to trade my icom for the Kenwood and never look back again...very happy with my decision on Dec 18 2015.....for does ham radio Fellas up there that use this radio for DX digital communication etc...But I have to let you know that the AUDIO from my Kenwood TS990S is WOW!!!!!!ESSB...VOODOO!!!!! & more...take care and God Bless this great hobby...73..

ps: if only we can discover where can I get the 6k wide on the secret Menu..ahahaha