Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-990S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-990S
Kenwood TS-990S Reviews: 90 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $7999
Description: Kenwood FLAGSHIP TS-990S has arrived. Kenwoods sets a new preformance and operating standard for the ultimate Amateur Transceiver. Advanced KENWOOD technologies deliver a Top-End receive and transmitt experience on Amateur Bands 160 Mtr to 6 Mtrs. Kenwood proudly adds the 990S to its trendsetting TS series!
More info: http://kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-990S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-990S.

ZS2DL Rating: 2/5 Apr 14, 2016 23:55 Send this review to a friend
Buyers Remorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Short and sweet, After 2 years I can honestly say
I miss other radios I have owned in the passed. which tells me I made a mistake in buying the TS990.

It has AGC and RX sensitivity issues, and backup support from Kenwood is non existent.

I am so disappointed because I feel duped!

Donovan
ZS2DL

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Dumped the flex for my 990  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a few Flex radios, 6300 and a 6500. I also was in the que for a Maestro (waited three months) but never was released to production. I was charged the full price of $1200 for a Maestro that was not even ready for production and there are STILL delays. Matter of fact, most of their equipment has a 6 week lead time now!

Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and order the TS-990S. Sick and tired of the constant Flexradio endless delays and postponements. I love this 990, lots of knobs, works out of the box. I have had many CQ's and did not even open the manual yet. Yes its a big nut to spend but, you get what you pay for. I have had many CQ's tell me I sound much better than when I had the flex. If you are thinking about the 990, just pull the trigger.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Something else!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
TS990 update, brought a TS990s last Oct, wrote a short review, was happy with it then but now 6 months later am finishing up a new station built around the TS990s, this radio is a WINNER. I like to lissen to DX on 40m in the middle of the night for long shot DX if there is any. If a DX station calls another DX station from most anyware an the first DX station get his call returned I hear then ( always). Have never had a radio that would do that before, I have a Yeasu FT9000D with all the filters ( GREAT RADIO) but it woun't do that! TS900s- 5 stars!. This radio is so much more than what I have said , I had a rotating dipole for long shot DX on 20- 40m, an I was happy with, I have since taken it down and gave it to a friend, because the 40m dipole I built for general lissening and transmitting does just as well with the TS990s. Now thats a RADIO!
73s...................kb6hrt

WB2WW Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2016 15:51 Send this review to a friend
ESSB sound & more.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi! WB2WW.
My experiences with the Kenwood TS990S is phenomenal! that the way Kenwood company put together after a long awaited return of Kenwood products to the line where it belong! the Top to claim the number 1 spot.....now I know that the flex 6000 series and the Yeasu, Icom and other company are rushing in with new product,they are trying to catch up with all the technology that this Radio has built in already. never the less from my point of view in turn of AUDIO!!!!!! anything closer to a Kenwood TS950sdx well we won't complain but this one is in the class by him self,. I own the Icom 7700 for 11 months and waited for the right moment to trade my icom for the Kenwood and never look back again...very happy with my decision on Dec 18 2015.....for does ham radio Fellas up there that use this radio for DX digital communication etc...But I have to let you know that the AUDIO from my Kenwood TS990S is WOW!!!!!!ESSB...VOODOO!!!!! & more...take care and God Bless this great hobby...73..

WB2WW...
ps: if only we can discover where can I get the 6k wide on the secret Menu..ahahaha

OM6MS Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used since 2012 almost 100% CW. I am very satisfied with equipment of this machine. I miss him already only bandscope :).

K1PMA Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 13:48 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions - great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a brief review with the first impressions of this impressive transceiver. I can compare this Kenwood to a bunch of other radios I have had or still have, incl. but not limited to: Flex 6300, Flex 6500, Icom 7600, Elecraft K3, Yaesu 3000.

This is not a cheap radio and if any radio is worth spending over $6000 on could be a discussion on its ownt. What I like so far over the other radios is that you have 200W output. Got rid of a KPA500 amp I had, the difference between 200 and 500 is about 1/2 S unit. No external power supply needed. Its all in one (very heavy) package.

Large LCD display and even a secondary LCD (really necessary, not sure). Did I mention the best thing? Over 100 buttons, switches and knobs to play with! Like a kid in a candy store. I got it all set up and made a couple QSO already without opening the manual at all but for the full experience one really has to study the huge, 200 page hand book.

For what it's worth, I have already busted several pile-ups with this rig and got an unsolicited 'big signal' report. Who can argue with that. A more detailed review will follow in good time.

PS Before I decided on the 990S I was going to to the Maestro Flexradio route but got tired of their endless delays and postponements.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2016 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Regrets??  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Okay here's the scoop. This is my second TS-990. What happened to the first you ask? Well, After using several boat anchor's along with each ones pluses and minus's, The 990 intimidated me I guess! I have several older rig's set up through a switching network that I was familiar with and comfortable with their shortcomings. The 990 is massive and has around 100 buttons and several knobs. The operation manual is "Huge". My stubborn nature kept me glancing through the operation manual and not truly seeing the beauty of how everything worked,and worked well. I sold the first one. What a mistake! I then tried a fully loaded 9000! Great rig but not in the same league as the 990. Mr. Sherwood has the 990 in the top tier of his receiver tests, but his grading manly covers one area. The 990 does well in that area, and as well or better than the rest in others. I've also found that my "ears" are not as sensitive as his testing equipment. It's not just one thing it does well. It's everything! The menus are easy to use and setting something to "your" taste can be accomplished in lightning fast time. The new and the old mixed together to create a wonderful rig that you can actually play with. I've looked at Flex and some of the other SDR's. To me they are about as exciting as my PC or cell phone. I feel for me to be a ham, I need some nostalgia to keep the hobby interesting and "Point and click" leaves little to be desired. The 990 works, and it works well! You'll miss no more opportunity to work stations with it than an SDR and you'll have fun while your at it! Regret's? None. I have my second and last one now and I won't let it leave. One last thing. I've seen some posts that claim they can't hook up an external Monitor. I don't know where they get that. I have one hooked up to mine and it works perfectly. Great waterfall, Sharp signal peaks and very good contrast. I suggest a middle of the road HP monitor and the adapter for the PC plug that mates to the 990.(can be had for about 10 dollars from the crap shack or Mouser). 73's

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Not your grandfather's typical review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

“This is not your grandfather’s era product review of the Kenwood TS-990.” And the 990 is not your grandfather’s era Swan 500, either! The 990 is a modern, very high quality, and hugely capable state-of-the-art instrument, but it may not be the best choice for every ham. This review is intended to provide some decision-making information about it, especially for those who might not enjoy and benefit from owning and using the TS-990, and who could therefore be dissatisfied with it after purchase.

The TS-990 is an outstanding “traditional” (i.e., containing discrete, hardware-based sub-systems) HF transceiver, one with unparalleled versatility. Nevertheless, it is certainly not the astoundingly best HF transceiver ever to be produced following the end of Prof. Heinrich Hertz’s experiments with electromagnetic waves. One would be naive to claim that! But it fits securely and very competently into the ranks of contemporary “top tier” HF radios.

The 990 is the result of twenty years of design work, product development, and continuing advances in technology. It is not a major “revision” of the last transceiver that Kenwood introduced; it is an entirely new, “from the ground up” product.

The TS-990 is a very complex instrument. It has almost endless possibilities for varied ham uses because of the large number of circuits and functions that have been designed and built into it. (An approximately 250 page instruction manual barely covers the job of explaining it!) It is possible that an operator will not ever fully understand everything that the 990 contains or will not ever use everything that it is capable of doing. Thus a distinction: the TS-990 is not a “plug and play” transceiver, or a “first radio” for a newly licensed ham.

Over the past thirty years this reviewer has purchased, owned, and used a number of Kenwood HF transceivers, and he understands the “Kenwood way” of designing and producing radios. Yet when the 990 arrived and was first set up on the operating bench, it was as if “the world had begun anew.” It was necessary to study the manual intently over a period of weeks, adding new “tricks” to the existing quiver-full each day. And, in reality, his work on the learning curve still continues. More of its functions are still to be mastered.

This high level of complexity is a key point. A prospective purchaser should have (among others) two different major skill sets to aid his being able to master and use the 990 with satisfaction: background and experience with current HF transceivers and modern wireless technology, and a willingness to work at and eventually complete the climb up a long learning curve. These are not impossible goals, but there will be no “zero-familiarity-to-complete-mastery-of-the-990" in just fifteen minutes after opening the box!” If a prospective buyer does not yet have these skills, then some serious considerations should be given before making a purchase.

A particular area of technical difficulty for many 990 users, judging from the volume of traffic on the Yahoo TS-990 users’ group, is wire-based digital communications between the 990 and other digital devices connected to the 990. Modern radio operations practically demand an associated computer and/or other digital devices for purposes of logging, digital mode communications, even radio remote control. The TS-990 certainly has such a requirement, but it also has three digital communications I/O ports: RS-232, USB, and ethernet (IP, pointing to a LAN/router with DHCP). In addition Kenwood provides (via a free download) essential radio remote control computer applications for the 990.

Everything required is there (with the exception of connecting cables), but it all needs a knowledgeable set-up. Prospective purchasers thus should have good skills in wire-based digital communications, and the willingness to trouble-shoot physical connections and computer communications, if needed, until they work properly. Without such personal skills, a number of the 990's capabilities may only be available to the purchaser with difficulty and potential frustration. One should think hard about this before purchasing.

The TS-990 is a magnificent radio. I will keep mine for the rest of my days, and perhaps still not master quite all of it. And in fact, the 990 could even represent a growing problem to Kenwood marketing: after producing this radio, what else could Kenwood add to a future radio to tempt a current 990 owner to abandon his present rig and buy another (even more impressive) one? I can’t suggest any really significant new capability that is now “missing” and that could be beneficially added!

The TS-990 is available at a fairly “comfortable” price point (for a state-of-the-art HF transceiver). For a senior, mature operator it will provide superior service and should earn “pride of place” in any station. For an inexperienced or beginning ham, it might just prove troublesome and difficult to master. Caveat emptor!

HB9DLF Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2016 11:25 Send this review to a friend
JUST PERFECT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I`ve got my 990 4 weeks ago. For me it is just an amazing transceiver ! It`s exactly what i`m searching for since a long time . For me; more then 5 points

G3RCE Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2016 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Glad to be rid of it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had to try the 990S
but after a few months, got totally bored and sold it and now have a Flex6300 sdr.
Much much better and more fun and flexible.
I'll never touch an old fashioned, dated legacy radio again.
SDR is my preference now.