Reviews Categories | Third-party Equipment | N3BA VCTCXO Module Help

Reviews Summary for N3BA VCTCXO Module
N3BA VCTCXO Module Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $75
Description: Direct replacement for the Kenwood SO-2 Hi Stability Oscillator

You can write your own review of the N3BA VCTCXO Module.

G1BTV Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2017 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Simply excellent   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this VCTCXO for my trusty old TS 570D as the original oscillator was drifting too much. I have to endorse all the previous reviews, the frequency is now rock solid and it came already tuned to within 1Hz, verified against WWV. The whole radio is like factory new again.
Recommended

AA5HL Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2015 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the VCTCXO from Bob and he was great. Very accommodating. The unit came in the mail very quick and in the box he furnished instructions on how to install in my TS-870. I followed his instructions carefully. To install the VCTCXO into the 870 you just take off the top cover and speaker. From there you can see the reference oscillator board plugged into the PLL board. I unplugged the SO-2 unit that was on there and desoldered it and soldered on the N3BA VCTCXO. Then I plugged it back into the PLL board and turned on the radio. I allowed the radio to stabilize about 15 minutes. Then I took a DMM to the different test points and tuned to certain frequencies as per the service manual for the TS-870. I aligned everypoint on the PLL board accordingly and put everything back together. Wow!!!! Unbelievable difference. The radio is better than even the SO-2. This is a super stable reference oscillator circuit that made the radio perform 110% better than ever. It truly is a masterpiece. Thanks Bob for the good work and I know for a fact he had more made. I highly suggest you get one and if you need one to go in an SO-1 slot I think Bob has it too. Anyone have any other questions regarding my experience with it, feel free to email me. I suggest you get this circuit and thanks again Bob for the incredible work.

Dave AA5HL

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Simply awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these units installed in my three Kenwood: TS-850, TS-870, TS-950SDX. While the TS-950SDX already came standard with the SO-2 TCXO, this VCTCXO unit surpassed the stability of the SO-2 unit. Once installed and calibrated, you'd never have to re-calibrate again year after year. The SO-2 still drifts just so slightly after so many years, not with this VCTCXO. I highly recommend it if you serious about radio.

WD9IQN Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2015 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the TCXO for my TS-940sat. I installed it this morning and it works great. It was exactly on frequency so I didn't even have to calibrate it. Highly recommended !!

KD5UVV Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2015 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Subsitute TCXO for TS-940S  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After searching for a Kenwood SO-1 TCXO to no avail, they are hard to find and very expensive when you do run across one. I ran across Bob, N3BA and his TCXO units. I contacted Bob about a TCXO for my TS-940S.

He told me that he could modify the SO-2 with an adapter board that would fit the TS-940. I ordered one and had it installed in my 940.
The unit works great with rock solid stability.

It was a pleasure dealing with Bob. He was quick to answer all questions that I had about his units.

So if you want to further improve the frequency stability of your TS-940S, this is a great alternative to the hard to find and very expensive SO-1 TCXO unit.

73, Dale, KD5UVV

N9ETB Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2015 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the Kenwood 570D. The frequency was off a bit. So, I looked around and found the N3BA TCXO. Ordered it, installed it, and everything is great.
Tuned to the WWV and this thing is spot on frequency. No more having to be off frequency.
Great quality product, and I would not hesitate to recommend this product to anyone.

Earl,
N9ETB

M0IMT Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2014 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic product at a great price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two TS-870`s, one 7 mill older model that has had Bob`s TCXO fitted for the last 18 months, stopped all frequency drift and is rock-steady. Recently purchased a second 5 mill newer 870s and the first item on the purchase list to compliment the radio was a second TCXO from Bob!, fitted in minutes (once the cases and small board are removed) and no additional tweaking needed, the radio was spot-on frequency with no drift whatsoever.
If you have a TS-870 and would like to believe what you see on the frequency readout then this really is an essential bit of kit that won`t break the bank (unlike the original item from Kenwood - if you can find one on the used market) and Bob is a great guy to deal with, 5 stars all round!.

W7LW Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2014 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent electronic craftsmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ditto everything said in all of these positive reviews. I'm not sure it isn't better than the market version. It's within 1 cycle of being exactly on frequency out of the box. There is provision to get it exactly on, but 1 cycle is close enough for me.

N2PD Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2014 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Works flawlessly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these for my TS-850 and also the one he makes for the ts930. Both work perfectly, rigs are rock stable. Thanks for a great product!

K9FB Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2014 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned a Kenwood TS-450SAT for about ten years and have used it mostly as a remotely controlled SSB station. I had never really warmed up to it due to its chronic frequency drift. It was nearly always off by plus or minus 20 to 40 Hz at any given time. Based on the eHam reviews, I ordered and installed the N3BA TCXO, then tweaked it exactly to zero-beat with WWV. The radio hasn't drifted even 1 Hz since. If you are a stickler for accurate frequency control, this is for you. Outstanding. Now I can finally enjoy using the TS-450 without the need to constantly tweak the VFO control for accurate SSB reception. Thank you Bob!