Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-70TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TH
Alinco  DX-70TH Reviews: 156 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1074.00
Description: 160-6M 100 Watt HF+6 AM/FM/SSB/CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TH.

W3AMF Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2014 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Good Little Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my DX-70TH for more than 10 years at my second home in the Pocono Mountains. It is used occasionally, rather than on a regular basis.
I use a Diamond power supply, the companion desk microphone, my Vibroplex Lightning Bug, and a J-38 straight key.

I have a mediocre antenna setup (low wire antennas and verticals). I use the rig on 160 - 6 meters with generally good results. Most of my operation is on CW but some is on SSB. I have used FM a couple times on 6 meters, so can verify that it works.

It will work semi-breakin on CW but there is no VOX for voice communications. PTT, however, is fine with me.

The built-in RIT, CWL and CWU, and the Narrow filter generally are adequate on CW. On SSB under extremely crowded conditions, adjacent channel interference may be a problem.

The DX-70TH is compact and provides 100/10 watts output if the rig is matched to the antenna. It is a good backup rig or a good choice for casual operation.

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 08:11 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLICITY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this simple to use rig off of ebay few weeks ago from a German HAM. I could not believe the radio is actually as the pictures previously on the internet site. It's like new despite the guy had it since 1998. Top of that it has been used for roughly 40 QSOs. For the price i purchased it i got a brand new radio that works fine, the encoder skips some freqs upwards but who cares it works after all. If i want i work QRP if i want i work 50W (set it inside to half power). It's widebanded, so i can TX everywhere i want potentially between 160m and 6m (yes, 50mhz).
I am currently making a cable to be able to switch mikes without having to unmount the front. And, it is wired just as Kenwood is, so all my mikes just fit on to this puppy too!
I am also making a shorter lighter DC cable for portable, mobile ops because the original is so looong and stiff.
And you just get a hot receiver with just as much functions as needed for casual operating.
Also 40m would overload it on a beam, but on verticals it has enough tools to get things under control.
The only thing i miss on this one is a built-in SWR meeter, but i have an external ATU when needed and some of my antennas do not need any tuning anyway.
Yes NB sucks, but there are situations when it works. And did i tell you the AM receiver is awesome?? It's hot on LW and MW IMHO...
Would i recommend it?
Sure, but for those casual users wanting a simple yet great TRX for mobile, portable (not a 857D though, it's 2.7 kg!), field day (RX 0.8A), second rig, vacation rig etc.
73s de Chris HA7WX see you Guys on the air...

M0LSX Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Value.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my DX-70TH for just over a week now & I am loveing it's simplicity & ruggedness.
I had been looking for a mobile 10 meter radio to use mobile, that had a repeater shift, a usable number of memories & which did CTCSS & the closest radio I could find was the President Lincoln II.
Then a few weeks ago I spotted a DX-70TH for sale for similar money. It does everything I want & much better than a CB, plus it has 100 watts output, covers my other favourite band, 6 meters & it covers the rest of HF too & it is easily operated whilst mobile as it lacks the menus & add ons that so many other radios have.
To adjust SWR for example, press a button & radio is on 5 watts, press second button & radio is on FM. key mike & my auto ATU tunes radio to new band. Press first button again & radio is back on 100 watts, press button marked SSB & radio is back on SSB..Does it get any simpler??
Oh & as has been mentioned else where the filtering is a joy to use. It works & is simplicity it's self to operate.

M0NAF Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it about a year ago, secondhand. Worth every penny!! It is rugged and reliable. It gets my signal out there and it also pulls in the ones I want.

OK it is short of bells and whistles but if you want to run mobile and be successful and have fun; if you enjoy working to get that distant station; if you want lightweight equipment, this is the radio for you.

10M whip for a car, a 12v gell battery and 59 form South America and Ascension Island from south of UK. What more can you ask!!

GW0IRT Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 16:35 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE RADIO FOR THE MONEY   Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought on ebay at a very good price for portable use, arrived in excellent as new condition,no gripes I knew what I was buying, read the reviews here and agree with all that gave it a five, have had no problems with the radio and works very well as a portable or base use for the cash outlay well pleased with my buy.....Phil GW0IRT

N5YUZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2013 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Great radio,simple to operate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this little radio. Like 10 and 100 watts choice. I use it as my base station. Next to a good ol Kenwood TS120S that I,ve had fr 20yrs. Wish it had a bigger dial BUT, so what,radio gets great reports I,m happy.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 17:59 Send this review to a friend
19 years and going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first HF rig in 1994 and I have kept it...it is not as sensitive as the IC706 to motor noise, does not have all the bells and whistles (I have both) but is a great little righ for what it is made for. I still use it, 100W, in the car. Been in the car through all kinds of temperature for almost 19 years.

M0SRW Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 08:24 Send this review to a friend
NB dose work !   Time owned: more than 12 months
Right after owning a DX70TH for years 15+ i have just found the NB dose work ! try this switch AGC to fast switch NB on bingo it dose work not brilliant but ok this works on SSB and AM I have one that dose have good AM TX audio

I do like this radio a lot for mobile use no stupid multi menus like IC706 or FT857 it's just to much for a small box thought the FT857 is a good set in its own right
Why would you need more menus than a Chinese take away !

M0WZM Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2013 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Use one as a base rig and it performs very well. I only use CW or SSB and the combination of RF gain, IF shift and filters gets rid of most QRM. Seems very solidly built too.
In combination with an admittedly pretty awful loft dipole managed to hit East coast USA, Caribbean and Brazil over a couple of weekends.
Definite keeper.

M0SRW Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Top kit for your cash   Time owned: more than 12 months
NB is crap Mic socket under the face that's a pain in the ass looks ugly

BUT SO WHAT !

It's tough and sounds great mated up with LDG Z100 it works the planet from my van.

ALINCO start banging out this little gem again don't change it ! ok fix the bloody NB so it works proper