Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Alinco DX-70TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TH
Alinco  DX-70TH Reviews: 159 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1074.00
Description: 160-6M 100 Watt HF+6 AM/FM/SSB/CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TH.

W0KDX Rating: 3/5 May 1, 2001 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Overall, a medicore radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the DX-70T (10 watt 6 meter band version) and overall, the radio is a fine little radio. However, the Noise Blanker sucks. Doesn't do squat on ignition noise and distorts received audio of signals around S-4 and up. When I called Alinco, their suggestion was to purchase an outboard Speaker/DSP unit ! What support! I won't buy their products in the future with that lame support! I like the little radio overall due to the size and usefullness if operated in a very quiet environment. Detaching the faceplate was a pain, especially when re-attaching.
Overall, I would go with something like the 706 or equivalent in the future. But, for the price class, you get what you pay for.

W4ADI Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2001 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Unequaled Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having owned the DX77 and being very pleased with it, I purchased the DX70TH and have been impressed with its performance. Nothing else to purchase with the rig.. HF 160-10M, 6 meters and filtering that is optional in other rigs. The narrow filter performs quit well. A great rig for for base, mobile or qrp work.

AA0Y Rating: 2/5 Mar 19, 2001 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Hope the new ones are better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the original dx70t after 1 week I sent it back and suffered the 15% restocking fee. That was better than keeping a rig I was not happy with. For starters the noise blanker was useless did nothing on ignition noise. Second the so called narrow filters are a joke 500Hz cw filter was closer to a 1.8khz filter the narrow ssb was slightly better but still left lots to be desired. I also found the vfo tuning knob to be to small..There is also no built in keyer which is considered standard equipment on new rigs...All things considered I feel you much better off with an IC706 or FT100......

KB0ZWK Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2001 21:50 Send this review to a friend
GREAT First HF Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purshased my DX-70 from an online aution site. It is the first time that I purchased anything online and I am really glad I did. Of course the rig was used, but it was my first HF radio. I use it as a base unit with a 5 band vertical antenna. It performs GREAT! I have made a lot of DX contacts and have found a new joy of amateur radio. I have made contacts all over the US and the world. This radio is easy to program and use. Great radio for the beginner and the experienced HF amateur that wants a compact HF radio with plenty of bells and whistles. I stronly recommend this rig to anyone interested in HF.

73s
Bob

KD5HAW Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2001 00:21 Send this review to a friend
User-friendly. Excellent bargain. Good features.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the DX-70T, an older version now offered through Radio Shack. I got it on sale for $550 last December. The DX-70T only has 10 watts out on 6 meters (100 watts on the newer DX-70 TH.) For the cost savings, I could easily live with that.It was easy to figure out.I'm still operating with the manual close at hand so I learn as I go. Most of the really important features are fairly intuitive so you can be on the air with a minimum of study. I use this rig as a base station. It is easy to bump into the wrong button when you are adjusting filters, etc. so sometimes certain features can turn on unexpectedly but it's fairly easy to clear them out. As noted in other reviews, the noise blanker is problematic. I found that with this feature on, I get static on all received signals. When it is off, everything sounds very clear. This is my first multi-band HF rig ( I had been operating on the Radio Shack 10 meter monobander.) I have been making contacts on lots of different bands and have been getting generally good reports. To me cost is important and I don't think there is a better rig on the market at a comparable price. In a hobby where it is easy to see your money disappear in a hurry, the DX70T and TH radios are perfect for the new ham who is budget-conscious but still wants to get involved in HF.

WA7OHS Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2001 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to set up and get on the air within minutes of opening box. You dont need the manual but it sure helps fo use all of the features. Mine is a DX-70TD. Bot it from Radio Shack at their special promotional price of $600. I cut back hi power on HF from 100w to 50w because I was drawing max. of 10 amps from my pathfinder accessory outlet.
Used a 10 meter radio shack mag mount ant . With 50 w ssb I woked Japan, Spain, England and all over the US east coast the first three mornings.
Ten m in early AM is best from AZ. In PM the band dies. got on 6 meter ssb with 10 w using a 6m mag mt and made many local contacts. Narrow filters are excellent and are included. Worked all over US on 10m fm at 29.600. RIT helpful and IF shift helps in pileups. Didnot need NB so far. I have to use mobile ant as i live in a HOA with strict no ant cc&r's. Its a great rig for the money.

N3PM Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2000 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Minor technicalities!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the DX 70 T for a couple of years. Used it mobile (with remote kit) for a while. Good audio reports, not a bad receiver. I didn't have to use the NB, as the car was very "quiet". The first problem was with the small rotary tuning control. It went up 2 on the first click, and down 1 on the next, etc. No problem, just learned to accept it. The only other annoying feature, is having to take the radio apart to adjust the sidetone level, even then, the internal control doesn't go low enough to use with 'phones. I place the overall performance, under my conditions, on par with the TS 50s's in my other mobiles.

WB4DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2000 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Mobile satisfaction plain and simple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having spent thousands of dollars on ham radios since licensed, I find this radio to be an excellent choice for mobile ops. My radio does not suffer from the NB problems previously stated by other owners, I guess they fixed the problem.
This intention of this radio is to go mobile, so I would not expect an internal keyer, nor would I use a rig mobile cw.
This is a rig YOU will not want to get rid of once purchased, if you do, you will be sorry!
Someone told me that the designer of the TS-50 also designed the DX 70.
My only question is: WHY 6 meters?, 2 meter allmode would be much more appreciated.

W4FJE Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2000 13:54 Send this review to a friend
The DX- means you'll work a lot!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the DX-70T for about 3 years now and it has been used almost exclusively portable and mobile. I've worked lots of DX while mobile, busting pileups with the great TX audio. There have been complaints about the NB, but after hearing others I find the Alinco is as good as some and not as good as others. Depends on the noise, I've gotten a +20 noise level knocked to S5. The filters can't be beat for the price of the rig. For mobile you don't need more than the 100 Hz readout. Tuning ratio is just right as well. Plenty of good audio, I love this radio!!
W4FJE@arrl.net

VR2XRN Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2000 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Worth to buy! All mode!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
At this price, I can get an all mode HF+6M with SSB/CW filter pre-installed.

It is wonderful.