Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-70TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TH
Alinco  DX-70TH Reviews: 153 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1074.00
Description: 160-6M 100 Watt HF+6 AM/FM/SSB/CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TH.

N3PM Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2000 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Minor technicalities!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the DX 70 T for a couple of years. Used it mobile (with remote kit) for a while. Good audio reports, not a bad receiver. I didn't have to use the NB, as the car was very "quiet". The first problem was with the small rotary tuning control. It went up 2 on the first click, and down 1 on the next, etc. No problem, just learned to accept it. The only other annoying feature, is having to take the radio apart to adjust the sidetone level, even then, the internal control doesn't go low enough to use with 'phones. I place the overall performance, under my conditions, on par with the TS 50s's in my other mobiles.

WB4DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2000 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Mobile satisfaction plain and simple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having spent thousands of dollars on ham radios since licensed, I find this radio to be an excellent choice for mobile ops. My radio does not suffer from the NB problems previously stated by other owners, I guess they fixed the problem.
This intention of this radio is to go mobile, so I would not expect an internal keyer, nor would I use a rig mobile cw.
This is a rig YOU will not want to get rid of once purchased, if you do, you will be sorry!
Someone told me that the designer of the TS-50 also designed the DX 70.
My only question is: WHY 6 meters?, 2 meter allmode would be much more appreciated.

W4FJE Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2000 13:54 Send this review to a friend
The DX- means you'll work a lot!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the DX-70T for about 3 years now and it has been used almost exclusively portable and mobile. I've worked lots of DX while mobile, busting pileups with the great TX audio. There have been complaints about the NB, but after hearing others I find the Alinco is as good as some and not as good as others. Depends on the noise, I've gotten a +20 noise level knocked to S5. The filters can't be beat for the price of the rig. For mobile you don't need more than the 100 Hz readout. Tuning ratio is just right as well. Plenty of good audio, I love this radio!!
W4FJE@arrl.net

VR2XRN Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2000 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Worth to buy! All mode!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
At this price, I can get an all mode HF+6M with SSB/CW filter pre-installed.

It is wonderful.

W0UX Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2000 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mobile Radio !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have an Alinco DX-70T installed in my small pick up. I like the way it plays so I won't go into the pro's. Instead, let me tell you what the con's are that I discovered.

1. The Noise Blanker: In one word. SUCKS. When you use it to take out ignition noise, the audio received, whether it be S-3/5 or S-9, is distorted. It is hard and uncomfortable to listen to, if you can tell what is being said.
2. Changing bands: An up/down button(s) would be nicer. This push a button and turn the main dial smacks of the IC-706, which I hated. Too many button pushing routines when I am mobile.
3. Faceplate mounting bracket is a joke. The screws have to be torqued by a gorilla to make taut. Else, the faceplate begins it's downward angle as auto vibrations make it move.
4. Mike is a little flimsy. I worry about it breaking or the wiring breaking due to it's lakc of a beefy strain relief system in the cord connections.
5. Remoting: Too many bulky wires running from the thing. I put mine in a flexible jacket to keep it safe, just in case.

On the air reports are great. I do suffer with vehicle ignition noise which I haven't fixed or found the source yet. When I can actually "HEAR" the station responding, I usually get very nice reports with my hamstick mounted well above the vehicle.

Face it. For the money, $400-500 used, you can't beat it.

W1ZE Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2000 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Best for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the DX-70TH mobile for over two years and have been very pleased with it overall perfornance. The built-in filters are a real plus and have found the receiver dynamic range to be as good as most HF transceivers on the market. However, the DX-70's noise blanker is the worst I have ever experianced in a mobile HF rig. With moderate mobile noise (S2 to S8) and when the NB is engaged audio distortion is bad it makes receiving voice signals almost impossible unless the received signal is S9+. I solved the problem with an after market DSP speaker ($150) that works slick. Now the DX-70TH is an outstanding mobile rig. Another minus is FM reception(10 & 6M) while mobile. FM IF noise limiting in the DX-70TH is poor with ignition noise in excess S8 with the my Toyota P/U masking over FM signals less than S8. However, with the engine off it's FM performance is fine.
The DX-70T or TH is well worth the money and with the addition of an aftermarker DSP speaker the rig is outstanding for HF/6M transceiver for under $740.

N0MVA Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2000 18:35 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions...an excellent radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I only recieved this radio a few days ago, I can't speak from vast experience. But my first impressions are very positive. Physically, it's a small radio that's well thought out. It's very intuitive, and doesn't rely on abstract microprocessor controls as much as the the 706 or FT-100. But with any small radio, they do have a lot of function button controls. I'm impressed with the reception, especially SWL. It's much cleaner sounding than my FT-840 on AM. The audio wasn't quite as robust on SSB as the 840, but that might have been more a characteristic of the speaker. In comparing the metering in regards to noise level and signal strength with the 840, they were identical. I'll do a follow up review a few months down the road. But I would advise considering this rig along with either the FT-100, the 706, or the TS-50. In fact, it was the positive reviews in this section that made me consider this radio.

N3OO Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2000 13:55 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE.........DX70 th  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been useing the Alinco DX70TH mobile for well over a year both on ssb and cw......bought a new Icom ic 706 mk2...sold the Icom / keep the Alinco which I liked much better ! Had to send the Alinco back to the factory ( out of warranty) ....was loosing power on higher bands.....was sent out and I rcvd back with in 1 1/2 weeks....fixed fb.....even had a scratch on the outer ring / they replaced it with out me making note of it ! To me that service was super ! Try that with other mfg . One other tid bit for you hams that have this radio.......put a mc 60 mic on it....you will have the finest audio ever to come out of a radio , try it ! I even use the mc 60 mic mobile.......really, this is a great do all rig.

N0WK Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2000 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Small size Nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded for this radio about a month ago and hated it. It was small and I was used to large (Ic-751A, FT-One) I did not give the DX70TH a fair chance. Then one day I started playing with it and compaired it to the IC-751A setting side by side. The 70TH heard as well if not a slight bit better over the 751A. Narrow filters made the down in the mud jump out. I couldn't believe for the price what a neat radio I has stumbled across. It may not have all the Bells of the kilo buck rigs, but for the buck it gives you the best bang. I'm going to love this rig mobile. The layout is great for my large fingers.

KB8YUC Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2000 02:39 Send this review to a friend
FB Portable Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I enjoy operating portable and chose this rig over the Knwd TS50S and others. The price of $850 was hard to beat and the built in filters which are optional on the other radios considered, influenced the decision considerably. The rig is compact and with a compact PS is easy to transport. However, as with a previous post (W0OPW 12.17.99) I also have a hearing loss (mine around 1200hz) and sometimes expirence a strange discomfort when using the CW filter. It is tolerable to me, however, I will often use the RIT to change the pitch slightly for easier listening. I operate almost entirely CW and the CW Rev and selectable sidetone (650,750 or 850hz)where also considerations while comparing to the other radios.