Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-70TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TH
Alinco  DX-70TH Reviews: 155 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1074.00
Description: 160-6M 100 Watt HF+6 AM/FM/SSB/CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TH.

KC9HVA Rating: 3/5 Jul 18, 2012 16:42 Send this review to a friend
so so   Time owned: months
the radio was fine for its time .

G1HQK Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really surprised with this radio, swapped it with a Kenwood TR751E and wondered if I had done the right thing, yup sure did. It hears as well as my FT450AT without all the bells and whistles, ideal for the car where it gets its use now. Better built than I imagined as well, ok its not as fancy as most radios these days but for simplicity and no menus it does the job and does it well.

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2012 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Great radio...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is a sleeper.. know what I mean. Remember the Datsun 240 and 260 Z's with the V-8's in them. They were called Scarabs and were built near me years ago. You could never tell by their outward appearance that they were killer cars... same with this radio. 1st, forget the noise blanker. I don't even use it on my new Yaesu. Now, consider the receiver.. the DX has an awesome IF and it can hear stations my new Yaesu has to be carefully dialed in to hear. It is noisier than my new stuff, but you still don't loose the call in it all. And forget it's main dial tension-er... it's a joke! But the radio itself... it shines! Built in filters, 6 meters, and power switching from 5 watts to a hundred.. and for very little money on the used market.. it's really one of those little hidden treasures no one knows about.. oops!, I kind of let the cat out of the bag..73's

K3CLT Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2012 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had 2 of these radios over the years and ran both of them mobile. I ran them in my company pick up truck with not too much noise. The DX 70 like all of the other radios needs to have plenty of ground straps to make them work correctly.
If you want to get into HF for not too much money then this is the radio for you. Again, if you are doing a mobile installation then ground everything(radio mount, antenna mount, body to frame, exhaust to frame, power leads to the battery). I don't know what they sell for now on ebay but you can't go wrong with one of these radios.

W3AMF Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2012 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver for the Mountains  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new about 10 years ago for my "second home" in the Pocono Mountains. I use it mainly on CW but enough on SSB to know that it works well on both modes. The only accessories I have is the desk microphone and MFJ antenna tuners for HF and for 6 meters. Deer and Bear are quiet so I never need and cannot critique the noise blanker. The receiver is at least as sensitive as my Kenwood TS-570S. The narrow filters, RIT, CWL, and CWH are adequate except during major contests. It is a no-frills but effective radio.

KD9VI Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2011 05:07 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good radio that has excellent receive and clear transmit quality. There are some drawbacks, but no big deal to me. No onboard pl tone switching (its dipswitches underneath!) not a big deal I got the radio for mainly ssb, but i have it set for the local (1) repeater. 6M FM seems very noisy for me. I'm using a 2m 5/8 wave mag mount and s5 noise level. My first 6m radio so maybe normal. SSB has s0 noise but NB is on. I don't know about the NB issues, it seems it works only for AM and SSB. I have an electrically noisy car but am able to fully hear below 7mhz with s0 noise (I do hear the engine noise but much lower with NB). I only have antennas for 10 and 6m so that is the extent of my tx. I do enjoy shortwave and mobile SWL is lots of fun. Buying point is $350 - $400 used now and they are always for sale. Buy from a reputable seller.

PA3FPZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2011 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Nice to have as a second rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alinco DX-70 is a solid transceiver for what it is. I use it as a back-up and on holyday and plays that role it very well. Don’t expect miracles from this tiny transceiver. I tried all the mods, with mixed results. The NB mod everyone raves about, is not worth the trouble. As an engineer, I am used to handle surface mount components. It took me some time to get the proper capacitor values and eventually had to assemble the 39 nF cap with a 33 nF and 5.6 nF cap in a piggy bag stack. It took me over two hours to do, some minor repairs on a few tracks and a very fiddly (dis)assembly. The result is still very poor with minimal NB performance! In my view, don’t bother! Final comment, nice to have as a second rig. Give it 4/5 due to the poor NB performance (not a crucial for me).

KU2US Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2011 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Audio-Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these gems some years back, and I missed it. So I bought another TH second hand in great shape. What I like about it is the RF filters, they do work good. It beats the pants off my IC-718 with DSP which was quite noisy. I plan on doing some mobile work, so the 70TH will be utilized for this also. Find a good one at a decent price and you will be very happy! Alinco did a good job with the whole DX series, even the DX-77 base radio which I also have. The only thing I miss is the VOX-it has none! Putting that aside, the DX-70TH is a sturdy wll planned out radio for it's price range.

2E1MPC Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2011 12:57 Send this review to a friend
alinco dx 70 th great value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Whoever called this little gem a cb isnt a ham, what a fantastic robust radio with one negative side , the finish ,, great insides but a crap noise blanker hats why its a 4 on the rating

DH4SC Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Rig!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my DX-70 new some Time ago. One of the last ones sold in DL.
For me it is the best rig ever. I use it at home and portable. I own some other rigs like Kenwood TS-140 and TS-450, Icom IC-718, IC-730 and an old FT-101ZD Mark3. When I compare the DX-70 with the other rigs there is no difference in RX/TX. TX audio is great with my homebrew electret desk mic. Loud, punchy with bottom and sweet higher frequencies. The DX-70 sounds as good as the TS-450.

The DX-70 is definitely better than the Icom IC-706 that I owned for some months but itīs bad receiver and the bad menu that you have to use permanently kickt the Icom out of my shack.

Playing around with the DX-70 is easy, I like the narrow filters, the PBT and the receiver does not need a DSP. Receiver is very quiet but has a great sensitivity and selectivity. Very smooth and warm output audio.
My DX-70 has more output than the rated 100W, 115-125W on my 230ft. loop with feederline and balanced coupler.

Thatīs the bright side of the rig, but thereīs a dark one too ;-)

My radio had a bad diode on one of the RX band passes so receive on one frequency range was dead - no problem to fix this but was quite annoying.
The multifunction pod can quit working but it is no problem to get spare parts from Alinco and the pod is easy to replace (mine still works fine).

This is another very positive thing about Alinco - you can get almost every part for every rig that was ever sold. Even after a long time. Our german distributor sells all parts of the DX-70: boards, diodes, transistors, relays, pods, knobs, parts of the case, displays, display shields...whatever

Well done Alinco!!!!