Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-70TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TH
Alinco  DX-70TH Reviews: 160 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1074.00
Description: 160-6M 100 Watt HF+6 AM/FM/SSB/CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TH.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 17:59 Send this review to a friend
19 years and going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first HF rig in 1994 and I have kept it...it is not as sensitive as the IC706 to motor noise, does not have all the bells and whistles (I have both) but is a great little righ for what it is made for. I still use it, 100W, in the car. Been in the car through all kinds of temperature for almost 19 years.

M0SRW Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 08:24 Send this review to a friend
NB dose work !   Time owned: more than 12 months
Right after owning a DX70TH for years 15+ i have just found the NB dose work ! try this switch AGC to fast switch NB on bingo it dose work not brilliant but ok this works on SSB and AM I have one that dose have good AM TX audio

I do like this radio a lot for mobile use no stupid multi menus like IC706 or FT857 it's just to much for a small box thought the FT857 is a good set in its own right
Why would you need more menus than a Chinese take away !

M0WZM Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2013 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Use one as a base rig and it performs very well. I only use CW or SSB and the combination of RF gain, IF shift and filters gets rid of most QRM. Seems very solidly built too.
In combination with an admittedly pretty awful loft dipole managed to hit East coast USA, Caribbean and Brazil over a couple of weekends.
Definite keeper.

M0SRW Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Top kit for your cash   Time owned: more than 12 months
NB is crap Mic socket under the face that's a pain in the ass looks ugly

BUT SO WHAT !

It's tough and sounds great mated up with LDG Z100 it works the planet from my van.

ALINCO start banging out this little gem again don't change it ! ok fix the bloody NB so it works proper

VE7KNQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 03:24 Send this review to a friend
Older but excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my DX-70TH for well over 12 years now and it has stood the test of time. It just keeps on working! The manual is well written and explains all the features clearly. The radio is very easy to use and after a couple hours operating time the functions become second nature. It's not as fancy as todays radios but it'll certainly do a great job for you.

KC9HVA Rating: 3/5 Jul 18, 2012 16:42 Send this review to a friend
so so   Time owned: months
the radio was fine for its time .

G1HQK Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really surprised with this radio, swapped it with a Kenwood TR751E and wondered if I had done the right thing, yup sure did. It hears as well as my FT450AT without all the bells and whistles, ideal for the car where it gets its use now. Better built than I imagined as well, ok its not as fancy as most radios these days but for simplicity and no menus it does the job and does it well.

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2012 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Great radio...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is a sleeper.. know what I mean. Remember the Datsun 240 and 260 Z's with the V-8's in them. They were called Scarabs and were built near me years ago. You could never tell by their outward appearance that they were killer cars... same with this radio. 1st, forget the noise blanker. I don't even use it on my new Yaesu. Now, consider the receiver.. the DX has an awesome IF and it can hear stations my new Yaesu has to be carefully dialed in to hear. It is noisier than my new stuff, but you still don't loose the call in it all. And forget it's main dial tension-er... it's a joke! But the radio itself... it shines! Built in filters, 6 meters, and power switching from 5 watts to a hundred.. and for very little money on the used market.. it's really one of those little hidden treasures no one knows about.. oops!, I kind of let the cat out of the bag..73's

K3CLT Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2012 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had 2 of these radios over the years and ran both of them mobile. I ran them in my company pick up truck with not too much noise. The DX 70 like all of the other radios needs to have plenty of ground straps to make them work correctly.
If you want to get into HF for not too much money then this is the radio for you. Again, if you are doing a mobile installation then ground everything(radio mount, antenna mount, body to frame, exhaust to frame, power leads to the battery). I don't know what they sell for now on ebay but you can't go wrong with one of these radios.

W3AMF Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2012 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver for the Mountains  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new about 10 years ago for my "second home" in the Pocono Mountains. I use it mainly on CW but enough on SSB to know that it works well on both modes. The only accessories I have is the desk microphone and MFJ antenna tuners for HF and for 6 meters. Deer and Bear are quiet so I never need and cannot critique the noise blanker. The receiver is at least as sensitive as my Kenwood TS-570S. The narrow filters, RIT, CWL, and CWH are adequate except during major contests. It is a no-frills but effective radio.