Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-70TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TH
Alinco  DX-70TH Reviews: 153 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1074.00
Description: 160-6M 100 Watt HF+6 AM/FM/SSB/CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TH.

KG4WBH Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2004 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Good starter rig...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio because it got me on the HF bands for under 400 bucks. I bought one used from our local ham dealer who had taken it in on trade. It has worked near flawlessly for all my operating from the home QTH. It does have a few minor issues that I disliked. The first is there isn't a continuous power control, it is either 10/100 and nothing else. also I wanted DSP and it didn't have it, it also doesn't have any provision for tighter filtering, no where to add xtal filters is a no-no nowadays. The receiver passband is pretty wide, but you get used to it after a while and just learn to "tune" out the other stations with your brain. Mine is the DX70T which is 10 watts on 6meters but that is fine. Everything else is FB on the little guy and I plan on putting it in my Jeep in the near future with the Alinco auto antenna tuner that goes with it.

73 - KG4WBH

LY2TA Rating: 2/5 Feb 10, 2004 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Good rig but not enough  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used DX-70 since 1996.
Good small rig with nice SSB audio. Thats all.
BVut where is:
Biult in CW keyer?
Power adjusting steps like IC706 (5 - 100W)?
VOX?

We need it much.

Without these I do not like DX-70...
Now using FT897 and I'm very happy

WN9PIQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2003 15:51 Send this review to a friend
A great little rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Five years in mobile service, using the remote head cable option, this radio always works and ALWAYS gets great reports! No mods, original mike, right out-of-the-box performance and quality.

G4ABS Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2003 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Good piece of gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I decided to go mobile, I wanted a smaller rig than my FT 900, but with similar features. I found an advert by an ex-CB'er, who required a small remuneration, so I inspected the rig, knowing full well that it had been "got at", and found that the frequency selector switch was a bit "iffy". However, at the asking price, and after testing on the air, I parted with my cash for what I thought was a bargain. Well, I have found it to be so, because I have worked mobile on 10, 15, 17, and 80m, now, and with more than expected results. Noisy on 80, which the NB doesn't cope with too well, but I think the QRN is from my car. With the engine switched off, operation is quiet and efficient. I have worked JA, VK, W, VE, PY from the car, and always get good reports. Sharp modulation, and good speaker audio. So what more do you want from mobile operation? Like any other rig, if the QRM is too much for the filters, you move to a quiet spot. Am I pleased with it? Of course I am, but I do treat it in the context of mobileering. In the base shack, it is as good as most rigs of this price and specification. What more do you want from a compact, easy-to-operate, no fuss piece of gear?

G6VXM Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2003 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent rig. Used for 5 months QRP mobile (M3DXC) more recently been running 100w with great results. Selection of Iron Horse Antennas for 40, 20 & 17 and modified CB antennas for 10, 12 & 15. Transmitted audio reports very good with standard hand mic (processor on).
99% of my operating is mobile, car is diesel fuelled so no ignition noise problems, infact much more noise on the rare occasions that I operate from home.
Would I buy another one? Yes.

CT1DDW Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2003 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Machine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read all the reviews and mostly are favorable reports, i can only talk for my experience. I buy my DX70TH in second hand trow a friend, and since then i compared the rig with others (TS450, FT747, etc.), my conclusions are very favorable in terms of quiet reception, narrow filters, stability in operation with full 100 W both HF and VHF - lately i am often on 6 meter and doying plenty DXs with my DX70!
For the many spend a great bargain and a realy true performer, Alinco need only to make some minor touches in NB, power level and sensivity on RX 6 meters.
Good luck!

VK2JDC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2003 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Mobile/ Starter Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my DX-70TH for a few year now. I'm impressed with it's no nonsense performance and it's ease of use especially mobile. For a fairly basic transceiver it has a few features that are standard ie filters that the others opinion, you can't complain it's basic on performance. O.K it doesn't have DSP or notch filtering but that hasn't stopped me working pleanty of DX :-)).

I'd highly recommend this rig for the newcomer to ham radio or for the bloke who wants to go mobile without navigating menus. The SSB filter seems a bit narrow to me but effective and not being able to vary the output power apart from 10 or 100 Watts is a very minor down side. I have no issue with the NB as I use the radio in a diesel 4WD :-)).

It's the best value all mode 100W HF/ 6metre rig in Australia and bulletproof to boot.

Cheers

Dave VK2JDC

VE9KAR Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2003 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being my first HF Rig, I don't have a lot to compare this to, but my experiance in the last 6 weeks has been good. Worked over 100 countries on a ground mounted vertical in 6 weeks or so. Always get great audio reports using the stock mike, Appears to put out more than the rated 100 watts. compact and easy to operate. I havn't worked 6M yet due to lack of propagation.
dislikes: The Narrow filter is not all that effective in crowded band conditions. You have to open the rig up to adjust from 100/10 watt to 50/5 watt setting, and you also have to open up the rig to adjust the mike gain??( havn't had to adjust it yet, but should be accessible)
Over all a great rig for the price, I bought mine on ebay in MINT condition for just over $400 USD.Can't wait to try it Maratime Mobile this summer on my sailboat!!

M3SWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2003 15:18 Send this review to a friend
the man from yorkshire, he say yes  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What can i say,mine has been great.No problems so far but thats not to say that i may encounter one.I have worked so far ZL,VK and too much to mention.Not bad i thought considering i bought it just as a mobile radio for 6 mtrs when on holidays and to use as an rx. Only niddle is the noise blanker. I am now looking for a base radio and seriously looking at the DX77 (oh no not another alinco).Hope if you have purchased one you use the EDX-2 for good results if you use a random wire. Mine works on 160mtrs. Good luck

WW3K Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2002 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Only flaw is NB.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Little history of my decision to purchase the DX-70TH:

Back before the DX-70TH came out (with 100W on 6 meters) the only choice from Alinco was the DX-70T. I did a side-by-side comparison at the 'hamstore' in Woodbridge, VA between the DX-70T and the IC-706 (first generation), and the DX-70T won hands down; it could hear stations that the IC-706 didn't, PLUS, the audio from the tiny speaker was much nicer in the Alinco. Since I was only 'window shopping' at the time, I just made a mental note of the Alinco's performance and began saving my pennies.

When Alinco announced the DX-70TH, I was one of the first to purchase one and paid DEARLY for it: (over $1000.00 including tax!) Having previously used the Heathkit HW & SB series radios and a Drake TR7 for my fixed stations, I was EXTREMELY IMPRESSED with the BIG RADIO PERFORMANCE FROM SUCH A SMALL PACKAGE. Having run the TR7 mobile, I couldn't wait to fire up the DX70TH from the car; this is where the trouble began. Ignition noise was SO SEVERE on 10 meters and the NB SO INEFFECTIVE, I had to run a monoband 10 meter rig for this band. In so doing, I had two (2) separate mobile HF antenna installations on the roof of my minivan: one for 10 meters, and the other for the DX70TH: (running either 20, 40 or 75 as 15 was too noisy too!) Unfortunately for me and my DX70TH, the rf from the 10 meter antenna (even barefoot) would get into the DX70TH (if the 20, 40 or 75 meter antenna was connected) and BLOW IT UP!!! (It was just a diode, but it would totally make the radio unable to transmit!) MY ALINCO DX-70TH IS THE ONLY RADIO I'VE EVER OWNED IN 25+ YEARS OF HAMMING THAT HAS EVER BEEN RETURNED UNDER WARRANTY. Alinco did a fine job of repairing it, and, when it happened a SECOND TIME, and then a THIRD TIME, helped me understand what happened and how to prevent it.

PROS: (to me anyway)
Lots of radio in a small package
Ease of operation
Dual Vfo's
Memories
Different scanning configurations
Speech processor
100 Watts on 6 meters
Excellent selectivity with standard features (no expensive optional filters to buy)
PLUS lots, lots more, depending upon your preferences.
Selectivity and sensitivity rival rigs costing THOUSANDS more!!!

CONS: (for me)
NOISE BLANKER IS TERRIBLE (see other posts)
NO VOX
NO INTERNAL CW KEYER
NO DSP / NO ANF
NO VARIABLE RF POWER OUT (only selection is high/low, which is internally set to either 100/5 or 50/1)
AM MODULATION IS LOW
NO CONTINUOUSLY ADJUSTABLE RF GAIN CONTROL

That's about it for me. If I were making the purchase TODAY, I probably would get the latest version of the FT-100, or maybe even an IC-706MkIIG, (if not for those !@#$%^&'ed modular mike plugs!!)

GOOD LUCK!