Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Alinco DX-70TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TH
Alinco  DX-70TH Reviews: 158 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1074.00
Description: 160-6M 100 Watt HF+6 AM/FM/SSB/CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TH.

NB7I Rating: 3/5 Jul 5, 2004 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Good in alot of ways  Time owned: more than 12 months
First one I obtained died three days out of the box. (USB went out of lock) Replaced by AES.
Pros - Small, good features. Stable. Simple to operate.

Cons - NB on both radios caused distortion on received signals. Reduced noise, but not a very good noise blanker. No attempt by Alinco to re-engineer it.
Multi select knob touchy, and jumped over items.
Antenna relay made QSK a clattery mess....no Ten Tec here.

In short, if you don't mind distorted audio when using the noise blanker, then it's a dandy radio.

LU5DDX Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2004 19:49 Send this review to a friend
muy bueno no NB  Time owned: more than 12 months
el equipo es realmente bueno incluye los filtros angostos mas usados y en transmision tiene realmente buen audio aun con el mic original
lastima el NB no funciona para nada y despues de las reformas el audio deforma al usarlo ..
saludos desde bs.as. jorge

KC8IMB Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2004 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Impressed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the radio for about 5 years now and have nothing bad to say for it. I purchased it while still a Tech. and had a little extra money. I'll never regret it. Great performer on Six. When I upgraded, the results were even better (in my opinion) on HF. Simple setup, no fuss - no muss. I love going backpacking and the DX-70 works into that nicely. To be fair, I have not done exhaustive tests (see arrl website @ http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr9512.pdf members only) To be honest, I've never owned another HF rig, but I have played with all the others. No, the Alinco doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but for the PRICE and for the bare bones PERFORMANCE, this ham highly recomends it.

73!

AC7YC Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2004 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Good basic HF for base or mobile.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my DX-70T used from HRO for $400. After reading up on various posts concerning mobile operations here on e-ham I went ahead and placed it in my Dodge Dakota. I was a bit concerned on the NB issue until the first time I hit the button to turn it on; it took an S5-6 noise down to S1-2. To be fair, I had also followed the advice of some articles and bonded all the major panels of my truck together as well as placing a static drain off the bottom of the cab (4" of bicycle brake cable frayed to promote static dissapation). All I can say from my experience is that my DX-70T works very well in a mobile enviroment - contacts aplenty including one to a DXpedition in Marquesas while driving 65 seem to bear this out. I do agree that Alinco could have put more thought into the design of the remote mounting method for the control head. I also do not understand the need for seperate antenna connections for HF and 6 meters. But for an introductory radio to get someone on air, I would recommend the 70T. Talk to you soon!

N4FDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2004 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Rig going for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got the DX-70TH (5-6 years old) mobile and the DX-70T (2 yrs old) in the shack. Use both for CW 90% of the time and both can't be beat for the money. These rigs work every time. Audio is great, controls well laid out, and the size is right. My only complaint is the cheesy way Alinco does the remote control head mounting system. The cable is a little too big and stiff and the plugs are big and awkward. Something more along the way Yaesu does their remote kits would make this a perfect rig.

I'm hooked on Alinco.

KG4WBH Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2004 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Good starter rig...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio because it got me on the HF bands for under 400 bucks. I bought one used from our local ham dealer who had taken it in on trade. It has worked near flawlessly for all my operating from the home QTH. It does have a few minor issues that I disliked. The first is there isn't a continuous power control, it is either 10/100 and nothing else. also I wanted DSP and it didn't have it, it also doesn't have any provision for tighter filtering, no where to add xtal filters is a no-no nowadays. The receiver passband is pretty wide, but you get used to it after a while and just learn to "tune" out the other stations with your brain. Mine is the DX70T which is 10 watts on 6meters but that is fine. Everything else is FB on the little guy and I plan on putting it in my Jeep in the near future with the Alinco auto antenna tuner that goes with it.

73 - KG4WBH

LY2TA Rating: 2/5 Feb 10, 2004 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Good rig but not enough  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used DX-70 since 1996.
Good small rig with nice SSB audio. Thats all.
BVut where is:
Biult in CW keyer?
Power adjusting steps like IC706 (5 - 100W)?
VOX?

We need it much.

Without these I do not like DX-70...
Now using FT897 and I'm very happy

WN9PIQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2003 15:51 Send this review to a friend
A great little rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Five years in mobile service, using the remote head cable option, this radio always works and ALWAYS gets great reports! No mods, original mike, right out-of-the-box performance and quality.

G4ABS Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2003 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Good piece of gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I decided to go mobile, I wanted a smaller rig than my FT 900, but with similar features. I found an advert by an ex-CB'er, who required a small remuneration, so I inspected the rig, knowing full well that it had been "got at", and found that the frequency selector switch was a bit "iffy". However, at the asking price, and after testing on the air, I parted with my cash for what I thought was a bargain. Well, I have found it to be so, because I have worked mobile on 10, 15, 17, and 80m, now, and with more than expected results. Noisy on 80, which the NB doesn't cope with too well, but I think the QRN is from my car. With the engine switched off, operation is quiet and efficient. I have worked JA, VK, W, VE, PY from the car, and always get good reports. Sharp modulation, and good speaker audio. So what more do you want from mobile operation? Like any other rig, if the QRM is too much for the filters, you move to a quiet spot. Am I pleased with it? Of course I am, but I do treat it in the context of mobileering. In the base shack, it is as good as most rigs of this price and specification. What more do you want from a compact, easy-to-operate, no fuss piece of gear?

G6VXM Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2003 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent rig. Used for 5 months QRP mobile (M3DXC) more recently been running 100w with great results. Selection of Iron Horse Antennas for 40, 20 & 17 and modified CB antennas for 10, 12 & 15. Transmitted audio reports very good with standard hand mic (processor on).
99% of my operating is mobile, car is diesel fuelled so no ignition noise problems, infact much more noise on the rare occasions that I operate from home.
Would I buy another one? Yes.