Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000MP Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP
Yaesu FT-1000MP Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2500.00
Description: 160m-10m transceiver (discontinued)

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP.

W4ABW Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2015 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Long Lasting radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My MP was made in 1995 and I bought it second hand in 1996. It may not have top Sherwood specs but with my decent antennas its great. No real problems in 20 years except a bad TX/RX relay. Byron in Sharp's Chappel,TN fixed that easily. I rate it a 5 for its longevity. It still looks like new too. Al, #1 DXCC HR.
N2UJN Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 02:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, Usable, Visually Beautiful, Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this pristine FT-1000MP from its original, meticulous, local, long time Ham in Nov. 2012. Luck: I was listening to an FM 2m net one Sunday evening when the owner noted he was replacing his long time 1000MP with an FT-2000. I went to this ham's incredible shack, took one look, and agreed to acquire. Never heard of this radio before (new to HF).

Came with: Stock radio and hand mic and filters, Yaesu external speaker, external keypad, TXCO-6, and an INRAD noise filter. Paid: $1300. I had looked at enough new radios to have a sense this was an OK purchase. Now, I realize it was incredible.

pictures at:

The radio is functionally perfect, looked new and still does.

Audio: I still use the hand microphone which gives good audio honestly. Not broadcast quality, but, good. FT-1000MP has five internal "transmit EDSP" audio settings: OFF, 1, 2, 3, 4. OFF sends the microphone out, unfiltered. 1 and 2 are two different "low cut" higher pitch audio that I sometimes switch to for AM or for contest pileup use. 3 is a very nicely filtered rendition of my own voice, maybe slightly high cut. 4 is definitely high cut low voice rendition. No equalizer, but, definitely possible to get a good output with these settings.

On my radio, with a dummy load, and RTTY out, I have tested each band and find output at 105W with Bird Wattmeter.

The SWR meter matches well fwd/reflected calculated SWR from Bird 43.

There is a control for NR (noise reduction). I tested mine after unhooking the INRAD filter and preferred position 2 without the filter to any setting with the INRAD filter.

The two NB (noise blanker) buttons work great for pulse noise, but, have to turn them off during SSB contests. Opens up too much for bleed over.

I leave the EDSP ON and most of the time and mostly do not have to use the shift and width controls to manage nearby signals. However, during contests, where SSB signals are close, with my 2.4 stock SSB filter, I have used these two controls: they are amazing. I can tune out essentially completely an SSB signal 1.5khz away from my current frequency with careful width + shift control. Together with the EDSP contour filters I have never really felt the need to get any of the non-stock filters or the INRAD roofing filter. Note, as new to HF I am not a serious contester and I am not in a super low noise area either.

The fast, slow and auto AGC is great. For SSB I get great listening quality with AUTO AGC. I cannot imagine not having AGC OFF, FAST and SLOW controls.

The auto-tuner on this radio works rapidly for any SWR < 3.2. You DO have the read the manual to sort out HOW to use it. One must first turn down the power out manually, then, hit the auto-tune button. Otherwise, during tuning, the FT-1000MP paradoxically does not reduce power output at high SWR. Very important note in the manual.

I use SignaLink USB with Ham Radio Deluxe and DM-780 for digital modes with the User 8-6 settings on the SignLink site for FT-1000MP. Works perfectly for PSK-31 and RTTY. Also, full automation to HRD with a $12 null serial cable and a $10 serial card.

Summary: I was incredibly fortunate to hear this radio put for sale on a 2m net, then, even more fortunate that one of the more well known hams in the area did not buy it on the air and gave me time to do so. The radio is not only incredibly capable, it is a work of visual art.

SA6AUT Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First of all, the knobs, audio and overall feels well build with quality!
Got all filters inside with Inrad Noise reduction mod and TCXO, so I'am able to fight QRM and QRN like never before!
Can hear stations I didn't with my previous rigs,comfort and plesaure to my ears!
It's a great cw machine and fun to operate!

This one is a keeper!

73 to all
2E1MPC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 14:15 Send this review to a friend
A great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
just a fantastic radio by yaesu easy to use , Juat managed to get my mp back from my friend after 6 months away , Never again will it leave my shack
CT2GEM Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2012 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Take my word  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the years my station had many radios: TS-450, TS-570, IC-706M2G, FT-847, FT-897D... and now the FT-950, IC-756P3, TS-2000 plus the FT-1000MP (have it for just 1 month). If i had to pick just one radio i would go for the FT-1000MP. I wish someone told me i'm telling to you: go get one and you wont regreat!
VE3PTC Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2012 09:49 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
finally decided to write a review of this great radio, having owned it for some 5 years now. when purchased, it was in its basic form, and it did perform very well. after about 6 months, i decided to fill up the filter slots with inrad filters, and also the roofing filter. well, as expected, the narrow filters do a grand job, when the going gets tough, but the best addition by far was the roofing filter. the best test for this item, is during say, a 40m contest in the evening. you can really separate the close in stations, and operate! very quiet receiver, especially selecting 2.0khz filters, and audio on tx can be set and pitched exactly where you want it to be. well designed front panel, with a nicely weighted vfo knob, and all controls have a quality look and feel about them, that i really dont see in other equipment of the same value.
i own several yaesu radio's, and have owned icom and kenwood radio's, and honestly prefer the looks and quality of this radio. performance wise, its up there with the best of them, especially with the narrow roofing filter installed. it wont be leaving the shack anytime soon, and has a permanent place there beside another yaesu classic, my ft 102.
vy 73 de bob.
WB5JHY Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2012 18:44 Send this review to a friend
A classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first new radio bought in 1996. Over the first couple of years I managed to load it up with all the rocks it would hold. What a joy it has been to use. Still operates without a hitch. Worked a little bit of everything early on including psk, rtty, slow scan, FM, AM along with cw and ssb of course. Some light contesting and my share of DXpedition contacts giving the local big guns a good run. Used 1000MP's are going for cheap now days but not this one. It will hold it's place next to my new 5000MP. It has earned "classic" status in my shack.
N1TA Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2012 02:20 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am incredibly disappointed that "5" is the highest rating I can give this radio. This is the real deal. It just has that "feel" of quality. Turn the knobs, feel the finish on the case -- it makes ICOM products seem like toys. Under the hood, so long as the proper filters are installed, the MP has an outstanding receiver and the transmitter to match. Split operation is the best, especially the ability to listen on your tx and rx frequencies -- and the panel layout is perfect. Still have not found a radio I like more. I recommend this for contesters, DX'ers, and even casual hams; you won't be disappointed. It is a travesty that this rig is bluebooked even a dollar under $2000.
OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 03:26 Send this review to a friend
An analog Masterpiece!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 30 years of Ham Radio I owned a lot of transceivers, e.g. the famous Kenwood TS-930 or the TS-850, but also modern DSP-rigs like the Yaesu FT-950 and the IC-7400.
Itīs important for me to get a fine sounding CW. The TS-930 had problems with the AGC (popping sound)and the TS-850 too because of the time-lag through the narrow 500c CW-filters.

But not so with the FT-1000MP! Till now I didnīt know that this exact receive of CW is possible! I added the Inrad 500c CW-Filter for the 455 IF stage and also for SSB the 2Kc Filter. Apart from that my FT-1000MP is unmodified. But I will add the Inrad 70Mc amp next.
The hiss is smooth and low, no comparison to the new DSP-rigs. To play fair, I owned only mid-priced ones, probably the high-end rigs are better.

The AF-DSP really works and attenuates noise more than the signal. Even on a long wire antenne the FT-1000MP has no problems with big signal handling. The tuner is silent and fast and is surprisingly able to tune the long wire with UnUn!

The FT-1000MP is certainly the best transceiver I owned till now.

VA7TF Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2012 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Black Beauty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a used FT1000mp (built 1996) now for about 6 years. I had added some filters and also the INRAD ROOFING filter, a great option. The rig has performed flawlessly from day one.I also own an FT2000D and replaced the Yeasu original useless 3 kHz filter with AC0C's 3 kHz filter.
Although the FT2000D is also an excellent rig, the FT1000mp still has it's place in my shack. What a great rig for it's today's "blue book" price. It has a great RX and TX. I've thought of selling the FT1000mp, but not seriously. It is definately a "Black Beauty"