Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | M2 HO Loop (6 meter, 2 meter, 70 cm) Help

Reviews Summary for M2 HO Loop (6 meter, 2 meter, 70 cm)
M2 HO Loop (6 meter, 2 meter, 70 cm) Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $47 to 103.00
Description: Horizontally polarized loop antenna
More info: http://m2inc.com/

You can write your own review of the M2 HO Loop (6 meter, 2 meter, 70 cm).

KA2AYR Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Yep, these things work very nicely!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was skeptical, but, like several other commenters, I wanted to get something up for 2 meter SSB very quickly and went to a ham store to buy one. It worked great. I went back to buy a second one and stacked them both. Over the time they've been up, I've been able to work up and down the Atlantic coast. The only regret I have is that I can't get them higher. Even if you have the resources to put up a yagi, having a horizontal omnidirectional setup will allow you to hear people calling CQ in omni and then let you zero them in with the yagi. The M2 workmanship is solid.

VK3ZAZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 03:15 Send this review to a friend
Great units  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Used on 6M test beacon which is going south to Macquarie Island in the future.
Mounted on 20 foot AL pipe stacked as sugegsted 10 feet apart.
Indicatiosn are it will make a good te beacon
75W motorolla powers it..

JG3LEB-@ 50294.0 VK3RMV beacon 579; open to VK3/4/5/7 0330 15 Oct Australia
JR2HCB 50294.0 VK3RMV Beacon peak 559 0824 10 Oct Australia
VK3ZAZ 50293.0 VK3RMV BCN on test 110w V QSP PSE 0025 28 Jun Australia

WA9ENA Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2003 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Works as promised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a stacked pair of 2m HO loops and a single 70cm HO loop. All are located on a temporary common mast at a nominal height of 20 feet above ground, mounted off the rear deck of the house. The 2m loop stacking is per M2 information. These were meant to get me on the air for a year or so while preparing for a real tower system to support the loops and some long boom yagis up at 70 to 90 feet. Lack of time to do that has resulted in the loops being the primary weak signal antennas for nearly 3 years. They really work! No, they do not outperform even a modest yagi or quad, but they produce QSOs, incuding sporadic-E and aurora. With tropo openings, the range on 2m with 100+ watts exceeds 300 miles. The single 70cm loop, driven with only 20 watts, has managed contacts to 100 miles, more if the other station had a lot of receive gain and medium power. Their lack of directional gain shows up mainly when band conditions are either marginal or no enhancement present.

The loops will remain a permanent part of the station, with a tower-mounted relay to select either them or the long boomers. Customer support from M2 has also been fantastic. I was short 1 set screw on the 432 loop and they sent me several spares immediately. They also sent me a manual at no charge for the 2M5WLs, which I bought used. Yes, the loops will detune in heavy rain. Still, they do everything I expected, and then some.

N0XE Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2003 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Good Antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a couple of these, one for 6 and one for 2 meters. They are pretty well built and I thought they were the top antennas you could buy until I had a chance to see N0MST's and I have to rate his as Excellent (very rugged, and they handle much more power.) These loops will work the best when put up as high as possible and if you can stack them, do it, it will really pay off. I have seen some 4 and 8 bay set ups and you can really pick up some great gain if you put the time in to the installation. A good Beam will usually always be better but many many contacts are missed because of the lobe and rejection patterns of the beam depending on the direction you have it pointed at any one time. A serious VHF set up should have both access to a high performance directional antenna and also a good set of Omni loops or Big Wheels so you can hear where the activity is and then zero in with the beam. The M2's perform well and mine held up very well in the winter and freezing rain. I would rate them a 5 but they still do not match the quality of N0MST's custom built loops and Big Wheels so they get a 4.
73 N0XE

KC2GOW Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2003 15:05 Send this review to a friend
ANTENNA IS A BUY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the antenna used from a friend who put up a small yagi. Even though it only has about 4db gain unstacked, for limited space on ssb 6-432 they're unbelieveable.... I also own a 432Mhz loop which I use in my attic and that works beautifully also. Running about 120w peak, I have made contacts into North Carolina from Staten Island, New York FN20......

Good Work On M2's Part
73's ANDY

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2002 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Tuff enuff to trim trees.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've whacked it, banged it, and dragged it down the road. It keeps working. I regularly work mobile out to 125-150 miles. It also works great as a compact, transportable, temporary antenna for a fixed location. Well worth the money. Every VHF/UHF SSB operator ought to have a couple of these.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2002 02:23 Send this review to a friend
BEST VALUE- AGAIN!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The M2 "HO LOOP" really works great. Performance is as good, or better than the "lesser" quality horizontal omni antennas, At about the same price, BUT with the MUCH HIGHER M2 Construction quality. I have a little HO LOOP side mounted on a tower at about 50', and regularly work up to 200 miles or more on two meter SSB! Great for a "starter" SSB horizontal antenna, or as an "Omnidirectional" listen antenna for those with big yagi antennas.

K7LA Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2002 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Bang For The Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a stacked pair of 2M HO Loops for over 12 months. (I purchased the antennas and the M2 stacking kit from AES in Las Vegas.) Their performance is simply amazing given the small footprint, the 2M antennas are about the size of a TV dinner and the stacked pair is five feet tall.

It took me about ten minutes to assemble the antennas and the VSWR was 1.1:1 on 144.200 MHz on the first reading. After testing I used Loctite 242 to set the screws. For best results, simply mount the top antenna at a height of at least 11 feet and you'll work every station you hear. Do not be surprised when the other stations reply on your first call as I've busted pileups in VHF contests with these. They won't replace stacked yagis for DX, but you'll get great signal reports.

During the June 2001 ARRL VHF QSO Party a close friend used a single six meter HO Loop on a temporary mast with an Icom IC-706 Mark II-G at 100 watts to work from Southern California coast to Florida on triple hop. That contact was the talk of the contest around here.

The M2 HO Loop is inexpensive and built like a tank. Great for mobile applications and portable ops, like mountaintopping. Even if you have room for yagis, these antennas belong in every weak signal ops' arsenal. Highly recommended.

NX7U Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2000 00:19 Send this review to a friend
They WORK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have all three (6m, 2m, 70cm). They flat-out WORK. No, they're not a yagi...but that should be obvious, right? But for small, easily moved antennas for hilltopping they work great. I would have to call the 6m HO Loop semi-rugged (haven't busted it yet, and Lord knows I've tried) and the smaller ones very rugged. Follow the directions/dimensions and it will come in right on frequency. Included are directions for tuning adjustment as well.
Proof of the pudding: I live in an antenna-restricted neighborhood, I went ahead and put up the 6m HO loop at 30' up against my chimney (no one's squawked yet...). Well I've worked 160 grids and 22 countries with it in less than a year. It's a great way to get up on 6m with minimum investment with plenty of fun to be had.

N7RFG Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2000 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Well made as usual!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased both the 2 meter and 70 cm HO Loops. These are not the stack versions, and I am planning on upgrading when possible. As usual, the antennas are very well made from extruded aluminum. Single reports very with limited range. Routinely, I can make contacts on my M29ssb antenna upwards of 200 miles. I am lucky to get 75-100 miles on my loops, and they require much more power. The 70 cm version seems to perform a little better than the 2 meter version. Both antennas were simple to tune, and the SWR's are extremely low. Both antennas are mounted on the same mast, approximately 30 feet off the ground. Note withstanding, it makes it nice to be omni-directional while horizontally polarized, and I have made some nice contacts, however, I would recommend to anyone who is in the long-haul business, to purchase beams. They definitely out perform Loops. I would recommend these antennas to anyone looking for local contacts while horizontally polarized.