Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-891 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-891
MFJ-891 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 1.8/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: "GIANT" Cross-needle SWR/PWR meter covering 1.6 to 60 mhz. Three power levels (20, 200, 2000 watts). Active Peak Reading and Average metering. LED back lighting. 3-5/8" meter.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-891

You can write your own review of the MFJ-891.

AB9CA Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
MFJ quality control strikes again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Further to my review down the page . . . mine started acting up again, this time when running into a dummy load. I took it apart again and found that I had earlier overlooked the fact that the wire running from the DC power connector in the back to the ckt board in the front was not soldered at the power connector. There was solder on the connector and on the wire. However, there was also an air gap in between the two. Resoldered that, of course.

As of now it seems to be working OK. Not great. There is about a 5% difference between the 'Peak' and the 'Avg' reading on 10m. Looks like a freq response issue since this happens only on the higher bands. It also reads lower than my other meters, but not by a whole lot. It appears to indicate SWR reasonably well. Keep in mind that this one does not cost much. You tend to get what you pay for. I suspect the Elecraft W2, at twice the price, does better.

And I also found that the 'Avg' setting does not require DC power for operation. In that setting the meter is an ordinary, non-active, SWR/Pwr meter. Dunno if this is standard industry practice for so called 'active' meters or not.

K7PP Rating: 0/5 Nov 22, 2013 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Commonly known moniker dead on.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first unit I received read backwards (needle going opposite direction)on the middle range.
Had to wait weeks to get a replacement under warranty and sales person treated me like I didn't know Ohm's law. Duh...I've been Commercially licensed for over half a Century. Then the new unit arrived and worked on all the ranges except that when used on 10 meters it would generate it's own VSWR. I verified this with two Bird Wattmeters because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It did, however report there was VSWR. I finally took it out to the dumpster and pitched it. I'm totally disgusted.

K7PP Rating: 0/5 May 21, 2013 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Bad out of the Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looks pretty good. That's where it ends.
Watt meter is inaccurate and in the middle range, the reverse needle reads backwards. Reads normal in the other two ranges.
You might think I have a bad antenna or cable. Not so. My old Dentron meter as well as my Bird Watt meter work normally with the same cables and antenna.
Sent it back to MFJ only to find out it will be a month before they can ship me a new one because they are out of stock. Technical help was almost impossible to get even after a very long wait on hold.
Tried an on line case ticket and it just sat there unanswered.
Last MFJ product for me.

K6CU Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2013 17:30 Send this review to a friend
The Jury Is Out...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My trust old Palstar WM150 finally expired, so I bought one of the new MFJ-891 meters.

What impressed me is the giant sized meter that makes it very easy to see. The LED back lighting is neat too! Nice styling and finish.

However, in the "PEP" position (it has an active peak reading circuit), the power output reads 130 watts. In the "AVG" position it reads the correct 100 watts. Tested with key down, solid cw tone in both modes.

I'm waiting to hear from the MFJ folks to see if there is an adjustment to the PEP circuit to get better accuracy. If so it's a "keeper". If not, at least I can see it.