Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | Quick-Tune Dongle for Yaesu FT-817, FT-857 & FT-897 Help

Reviews Summary for Quick-Tune Dongle for Yaesu FT-817, FT-857 & FT-897
Quick-Tune Dongle for Yaesu FT-817, FT-857 & FT-897 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $15.95 GBP + PP
Description: The Quick-Tune Dongle is designed to aid ATU and Auto-ATU
adjustment when using SSB. It is the same size as a mini-DIN
plug, but has no cable attached.

When plugged into the CAT socket of an FT-817, FT-857 or FT-
897 it monitors the transceivers transmission status and
adjusts the operating mode to produce a tuning carrier when
a PTT double-click is detected. As soon as the PTT is
released, it returns the transceiver to its previous
operating mode (USB or LSB).
More info: http://huk-electronics.co.uk/quick-tune_dongle.html

You can write your own review of the Quick-Tune Dongle for Yaesu FT-817, FT-857 & FT-897.

F4FXH Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2017 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Perfect : easy quick tune  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it on FT-817ND anfr FT-857D.
The best tool to easy tune an antenna with a manual tuner on portable operations.
Double click on the mike and the rig switch on AM (no need to whistle) (my setting, could me in PKT).
You release the PTT, the rig comes back in the original mode.
Your ears, a manual tuner and the quick tune dongle and you tune the antenna in seconds.

WC6Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not one to carry a paddle or key with me. It's just too damn cumbersome. So when I saw Huk's Quick-tune dongle I was sold. Quick double squeeze of the mic and bam, you're adjusting your tuner. Let go and you're ready to rock. Did I mention it puts you in the right mode to tune?

I love Ham innovations!

And even though it came from the other side of the pond shipping was quick.

NX3P Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2016 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Fast Shipping, works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I operate HF mobile with a Yaesu FT-857D and QRP with a Yaesu FT817ND. This product works for both. In my mobile, I manually tune my Little Tarheel 2 mobile antenna for max sound from speaker and then fine tune. To lower power and switch to a mode to generate RF, tune, and then go back to original settings is quite tedious.

In comes the Quick-Tune dongle. I found reference to this product after a google search. Reviews were good, but product comes from England at a delivered cost around $40 USD.

I took a chance and ordered. I received an email from the manufacturer thanking me for my order and letting me know it is on the way. About a week later, a padded envelope is received. It included the dongle and instructions.

Set your 857 CAT rate to 9600, Set rig to CAT, and Tuner/ATAS to off. Plug dongle into CAT socket and double click your mic and rig changes mode to packet, or AM. Packet gives 100 watts out, or you can generate AM carrier. Turned AM mic gain to zero. This gives 25 watts out.

Now I just send a morse "A" and rig goes from SSB to AM. I quick bump of my antenna tune button and I am at 1:1 SWR. Let go of mic and you are back to original mode and power.

HUK Electronics makes a great product. I hope a US distributor picks up his product. This will be handy tuning my AlexLoop on my FT-817 as well. If you own either of these rigs, this product will prove to be handy for your mobile and portable operations.

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2015 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Is very handy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the QTD on my FT-857D. The transceiver is mounted in a portable manpack with battery and antenna coupler. I'm tuning whips and wires against an RF ground for multiband operation. The QTD helps me simplyfying the action to tune the antenna. I have programmed the dongle to use AM. It's great while changing bands a quick double press of the mic and I have a 5 watt carrier to tune my antenna.
It is a great device. Keep in mind that you loose your CAT port for other purposes when using the QTD. 73 Phil

M0ZAV Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2013 12:17 Send this review to a friend
my thoughts on the Quick-Tune Dongle for Yaesu FT-817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the quick tune dongle in the post today, I quickly set up the FT-817 in the conservatory to test the unit. Plugged it in attached the wonder wand wide bander, set the CAT port to 9600 baud, bish, bosh bang two clicks of the PTT, the radio is in PKT mode putting out a carrier. Wonderful bit of kit. Itís a must have bit of kit to go with the FT-817, people say get the peg leg and the kranker tuning knob modification, but pound for pound this is the best bit of kit for the radio. I do own the Z-817 auto tuner for the radio and it also puts the radio in PKT mode turns down the power, but for any other manual tuner I will use this, is brilliant.