Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Softrock Ensemble II Built Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Softrock Ensemble II Built Radio
Softrock Ensemble II Built Radio Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $92.00
Description: The SoftRock RX Ensemble II Receiver built for HF, 1.8 MHz through 30 MHz, operation. This receiver has been built and tested by Tony Parks, KB9YIG. Built kits are only available in limited quantities as Tony has time to build them.
More info: http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8

You can write your own review of the Softrock Ensemble II Built Radio.

W5NRF Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Best for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using this with a Yaesu FTDX-3000, n4py Pegasus software, HDSDR, and an Ultimate USB Deluxe sound card.

Tony had to guide me through the setup and operation process, answering my (often dumb) questions quickly no matter the time or day.

I highly recommend this company.

KG135035 Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Introduction to SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Ensemble II HF receiver around 2 weeks ago. I was very impressed with the delivery time. Took just a few days to get to me and Tony makes sure you get exactly what you ordered.

I am fairly new to SWL reception and found this unit was very easy to plug in and get running. Tony's website led me to some great SDR info that I looked at before ordering and, thanks to all the great links, I decided to take the plunge. All these links were a great help. Especially being quite new to Shortwave listening and completely new to SDR.

This is a great unit to get started in SDR!. I have had the Ensemble 2 HF receiver for over a week now and getting great reception on SW and SSB. This unit, coupled with the HDSDR program, is giving me great results. I only have a short, modest, "long wire" (maybe 30 feet) connected to a 9-1 balun (for 50 ohms input to radio), and getting excellent reception in Thunder Bay, Canada. I am really enjoying 20 meter SSB, as well as lots of shortwave broadcast stations! I am looking forward to getting a proper antenna installation done to see what this little radio is really capable of.

Thanks to Tony Parks for an excellent product that works very well for a newbie SWL hobbyist.

If you have any interest in SDR, get this unit. You won't regret it.

Regards
Kevin Garner

K4YAB Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2014 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Perfomance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The only thing I had a problem with was loading the EXTIO...(Config program)
Works very nice, Great price $92. Built.
I like the tuning Format better on the Flex Radio Series...but for the money excellant..Has good audio
Wayne
K4yab

KA7U Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2014 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this Softrock Ensemble II RX built and tested, from http://fivedash.com . It arrived in a reasonable time and now that I've had it a while, just have to say wow, what a great little receiver. I have it connected as a sub-receiver to an ORION II using a sub-receiver antenna mod that is described in the N4PY radio control software help file. I'm using HDSDR coordinated with N4PY by using com0com virtual serial ports, running on a Windows XP SP3 computer. The I/Q line from the softrock is connected to line in on a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI sound card. It will provide up to a 96KHz band scope display.

While I usually use the Softrock and HDSDR to provide a tuning aid to the ORION II, I find that the receiver seems to be almost on par with the ORION II, albeit with a bit of audio latency.

I just love this thing and this setup. It made my ORION II even better and more fun to use.
Ron

KI6WDZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2014 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Delivers way beyond its price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What great fun this is! I'm running it on a Windows 8 machine with HDSDR. I had to reread the installation instructions as I had initially not run the configuration program. Once I discovered that it was smooth sailing. Right now I have it running on a very short long wire but it is still quite sensitive and has great reception. I'll be putting up a better antenna soon and look forward to many evenings of listening enjoyment. I purchased mine as a built kit with the enclosure so there was nothing to do but the software install and cables. I can't imagine an easier process. My job now is to sort out all the features of the software program!

N6LQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2013 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This SDR is a great performer in my experience. I'm surprised at its sensitivity; so far I can't find a signal that my Icom R75 and Drake R8A can hear that this receiver can't (sometimes it even seems to hear a bit better than my R75). Controlled by Flex PowerSDR v 1.9.0 SR40 software, the receiver is a blast to play with. I have another SDR I paid about $300 for, and I think this $92 unit (about $110 w/ a case) works better. A super value.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 09:43 Send this review to a friend
it's the benchmark  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfectly built, it works perfectly too. With the FREE LUNCH software, SDRsharp, it is the easiest radio to use. You do NOT get what you pay for!

AA6RR Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 01:32 Send this review to a friend
A Great Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using this receiver on a Win7, 64bit pc with the Realtek onboard soundcard, 48khz. Running PowerSDR v2.4.4 with the SV1EIA patch. I have done a A/B comparison with the Yaesu FT-950 and can't tell any difference in the sensitivity. However, the Softrock is much more of a joy to copy cw with, with the great filtering on PowerSDR and coupled with headphones. Looking forward to other "built" receivers. My order was handled very professionally, with shipping only taking 2 days. Kudos to Tony.

KJ9T Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 05:11 Send this review to a friend
This very small SDR Receiver is truly Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Ensemble II, built and tested by Tony Parks, arrived at 10:00 AM. I installed the unit and had it on the air by 10:30 AM. I must admit that I hv run a Flex since 2006 and hv experience with the SDR's which made the installation a no brainner. I compared the receive quality to my Flex 5000, switching between the two instantly. If I close my eyes, I cannot discern any difference between the two. I am running the PowerSDR v2.4.4 software on Windows 7 with the Softrock and I installed it on an XP machine also and it wrked equally well. The panadapter view is identical to my Flex 5000. I am a happy camper. It wud wrk well married to any conventional transceiver with a T/R relay. The only observaton that I want to call to ur attention is that an image of the synthesizer is down abt 8kc from the received frequency. I do not find this objectionable. Tonite I paired it up with my Icom 706M2G with an interface that I put together and it wrked flawlessly with the features of the Flex. The best of all worlds. Nice Job, Tony!