Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | MOSLEY MINI-32 Help

Reviews Summary for MOSLEY MINI-32
Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $384.00
Description: 2 ELEMENT 10-15-20
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com/spec%20files/amateur/mini32a.

You can write your own review of the MOSLEY MINI-32.

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2010 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Very good beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used Mini-33A-WARC, but I converted it to a Mini-32 in order to reduce the wind-load and weight on my chimney mount. Also, I get a little better front/back (on all 3 bands) and better forward gain on 15M using it with the 6 foot spacing for 2 elements. The SWR rises to around 2.95 at the upper end of 20M, but nothing the internal Icom tuner can't handle. SWR is under 2.0 on 15M and 10M (up to around 28.8MhZ). I'm using the antenna with an Icom ProIII and a TS-480HX through an MFJ-998 tuner. I'm very satisfied with the little antenna. It gives me some gain on the upper bands and is working very well.

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2009 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Amazing little Yagi!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First! I'm a Ham who has experienced many types of mono band to tri-band small and large foot print beams. This give me a bit of an advantage to really scrutinize this product. I'm no expert by far, but I know what to look for.

Due to my restrictions I needed something small, light weight, low wind load, but an effective beam for 10, 15 and 20 meters. Taking into consideration that the front to back gain and forward gain wouldn't be great from what I was used to with larger beams, but it would have to be way better than a dipole.

Searching around I looked at every small beam out there and nothing was as light and small with claimed performance compared to Mosely's mini 32A. Now I don't like traps, but when you have no other choice so be it. Might I mention that if I were to use anything with traps at the QTH Mosely would be the only company I would trust. So I decided to try it!

When I opened the box and pulled the manual out I wasn't happy with the way it was written, but being that the elements were color coded everything else putting together took some common sense which made the manual unnecessary for me. There are a couple exceptions to detail that are critical to follow so read carefully.

Plus side! I did have a couple of questions so calling Mosely and speaking with a couple of folks there in tech support was helpful, kind and returned my call when needed promptly. They get 5 stars just for that! Hard to come by these days.

I was impressed with the material and engineering with stainless steel components made me feel good about my choice, but what would performance dictate? So here it is!

Going with their suggested starting point measurements I was impressed. I didn't have to take it down and perform any additional adjustments. They do suggest to insert actual R.F. into the antenna would be best for tuning. I did it with an analyzer and then checked it with R.F. The results were very similar to the extent had I done it with the analyzer anyway it would have been fine for me that is. Still! It should still be tuned with actual R.F. from the rig into the yagi.

20 meters - S.W.R. reading started out with a flat 1:1 on 14.000. up to a 2:5 S.W.R at 14.350. From 14.295 on up is nothing an internal tuner, or outboard tuner can't handle, but these are still great results.

15 meters - 21.000. 3:1 S.W.R up to 21.450 with a 2.0 S.W.R WOW! I think that's great! All of the phone portion with under 2:1 and nothing an internal tuner wouldn't handle in the CW portion.

10 meters - Here I have a 2:1 from 28.000 all the way up too 28.900. That's awesome! 28.530. had a 1:1 S.W.R. The beam had 50 ohm match every where the S.W.R. was 1:1.

The yagi has been installed on a mast mounted rotor at 40 feet AGL. The physical antenna is 10 feet above the roof line. There is a giant tree that stands tall at 45 feet and about 10 feet from the elements. Every where else around the yagi for the most part is clear of obstructions. Yet! My S.W.R.'s are still great and performance is fantastic.

Being that band conditions haven't been great for a lot of strong signals on 15 and 10 meters I can't give you Front to Back performance so what signals I could hear seems pointless to mention that I could clearly make them disappear. None the less! What's non existent on the dipole can be worked on the yagi.

Now that I have the yagi for 20 meters the band is fun to operate again. No more getting pushed and shoved by NET's or QRM'ed without getting QRM'ed back. It's a night and day difference trying to work DX or local QSO's compared from the dipole to the yagi. After comparing signal reports on a A/B process I see average 1-2 S-units between the dipole and yagi. Front to Back isn't the greatest seeing about a 12-15 db difference, but it can be noticed and again sure beats anything else I had up prior and can get away with. This thing looks like a large TV antenna.

In the long run I'm happy to be working Europe with 599+ reports and sending SSTV signals with great quality.

I give this yagi and Mosely 10 stars!

73's!

HS0ZGR Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2007 03:16 Send this review to a friend
Highly pleased -- great results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With an existing 1-inch iron mast extending to 33 feet, and not eager to install a new tower for a full-size beam, I ordered the Minibeam 32-A after hearing a friend speak well of it.

The Mosley website quoted a waiting period of 36 days, but one learns to be patient in SE Asia. I ordered and asked that I be notified of the Fed-Ex tracking number after shipment. Tracking a package ex-USA can be important, lest it be detained at the port of entry until the shipper can contact the buyer for duty and taxes.

After 60 days, I queried the sales desk and learned that the latest batch of minibeams would ship the next day. Four days later, I again inquired about the tracking number. Melissa replied quickly, and now I had the info, only to find that my new antenna had been awaiting clearance at Bangkok airport for 2 days... no word from Fed-Ex on their own initiative. So, I had my minibeam 6 days after shipping, halfway around the world, well-packed in a clean, compact 6-foot carton, surving transits in Alaska and Manila.

The ordering process is my only issue of concern, because the rest of the installation went flawlessly. The SS hardware was complete, the traps and elements in excellent condition, and the predrilled holes accurately placed. I spent an hour deburring everything as recommended, and then studied the rather sparse manual to be sure I understood it.

Compared to older Mosley manuals on the internet, this newer one lacked any detailed exploded parts placement. I enjoy puzzles, however, and soon figured out the proper order of things. The finished product is slightly larger than the advertised specs (fine by me), but with the element spacing 2 inches less than 6 feet. Overall, it was light-weight, pleasing to the eye, and easy to balance at the centerplate.

There are only two points of adjustment per element, one on each side of the boom, between the small inboard loading coil and a longer aluminum trap. (I had expected four altogether, for 10 and 15 meters.) It was easy to use the initial settings suggested in the manual, but how should one approach tuning the reflector for F/B vs Gain? The manual didn't say anything except to suggest the total adjustment should not exceed 10 inches, in or out. I was on my own...

I levered the antenna skyward on a 15-foot bamboo pole, and noted immediate SWR dips on all three bands below 1.5:1, about 50 khz lower than center-freq -- as the manual predicted due to artificial ground. There are few, if any, strong signals here at mid-day during the sunspot cycle low. Adjusting the reflector for F/B would have to wait until later.

With the minibeam mounted at 33 feet atop a small, Yaesu G-250 rotator, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. SWR is centered on each band at no more than 1.3 to 1. The band edges of 20 and 15 meters indicate 1.8, and 10 meters shows 2.8 at 28 and 29 Mhz.

An article on 2-element minibeams by L.B. Cebik, W4RNL, explains the tradeoffs between gain, F/B ratio, and bandwidth. The ideal balance would suggest equal gain reductions on the backside and sidelobes.

My listening experience shows a 1 S-unit gain over a dipole up 30 feet. The backside and sidelobe signal reduction is roughly equal at 2 S-units lower, giving a net total advantage of 3 S-units over the dipole. Put another way, the minibeam is far quieter than the dipole. I'm delighted to see a signal bounce to S-8 from an S-3 noise level. True, the dipole may show S-9 over S-6 QRN, but the quiet S-8 signal is far easier to copy.

It looks like Mosley did a fine job of attaining balance between gain, F/B, and BW across 3 bands on a 6-foot boom! For now, I'll opt for the recommended reflector length... maybe play with it later.

Would I consider the 3-element version for one hundred dollars more? Not with 3 elements on a 6-foot boom, and no appreciable increase in gain or F/B. I can now work friends in Europe on 20 meter SSB with 100 watts legal limit which I could barely do with the dipole. That's what counts!

W3HD Rating: 0/5 Sep 26, 2000 21:35 Send this review to a friend
AWFUL  Time owned: more than 12 months
DOES NOT WORK ON 10M 15M VERRY HIGH S.W.R. 5 TO 1. 20M S.W.R. 3 TO 1. MANUAL
VERRY BAD. I CALLED MOSLEY 5 OR 10 TIMES WOULD NOT CALL ME BACK OR TOLD ME NO ONE WAS IN THE OFFICE OR OUT TO LUNCH. I WISH I COULD HAVE 3 HOUR LUNCH!! PLEASE DO NOT GET A (MOSLEY) WHAT JUNK.