Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Multiranger 200 (by Watson) Help

Reviews Summary for Multiranger 200 (by Watson)
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $approx 60 Euros
Description: This antenna offers coverage from 3.6MHz to 146MHz. It handles up to 200 Watts and uses the famouse lossless wander plug switching. This means band switching is very rapid and fine tuning is achieved with the adjustable telescopic top section. It can also function as a portable antenna or even used at home where space is very limited. In this situation you would need to provide some form of earth system.

Main Spec:

200 Watts Max Power.
Length approx 1.6m
50 Ohms feed
PL-259 base.
More info: http://www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog/watson_multi-ranger-200_10-band_mobile_antenna-p-6787.html

You can write your own review of the Multiranger 200 (by Watson).

EI2HPB Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 15:06 Send this review to a friend
DX Machine, great value!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this litle antenna now for over 12 months and its time I reviewed it. For the money its probably given me the most DX pleasure per dollar of all the equipment I own. I am a keen mobile DX'er and I use the Multiranger daily from my car. I have mine mounted on a triple mag on the roof with a single ground wire (coax braid) taken from the magnet body to the chassis of the vehicle. Bands used most by me are 15m (my favourite DX band) followed by 17m and 20m. I'm not sure about the other bands as I tend to stick to my favourites. Changing bands is quick and easy using the supplied banana jumper cable for the coil and a quick adjustment of the whip for SWR. I have noted the measurements so it only takes me about a minute to change bands. Bandwidth is excellent and performance is top notch. Just this morning I worked ZL2JBR almost 12000 miles away in Wellington New Zealand on 20m... with my normal 150w from the TS480HX John gave me a 5/9 + 10 report but I reduced my power to 30w during the qso and the report was still 5/9!! I normally try to get near the coast to get some help from the salt water but even inland and driving at 70mph on the motorway the antenna performs outstandingly well! I have compared the Multiranger to an MFJ 1979 telescopic whip (Full 1/4 wave 10-20m) with radials and various endfed half wave wire antennas from the same location and though these antennas also perform great the little Multiranger stacks up very well against them, to be honest I dont see much difference in the performnce and bear in mind the Multiranger is only 4ft high on 15m and only slightly longer on 17 and 20! The bands have been nicely open this week but I have managed to work ZL,VK,BD,JA,9M6,JT,YB8 and lots more exotic DX with this simple and effective mobile antenna...(sometimes busting through huge pileups to the shock of the DX station) I highly recommend it to anyone who cant afford the much more expensive screwdriver type antennas which generally cost much much more and are 10 times the size!