Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | SGC SG-237 "Mini" Smartuner Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-237 "Mini" Smartuner
SGC SG-237 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$339.99
Description: Antenna Coupler
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com/products/sg237/

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-237 "Mini" Smartuner.

N3NJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2009 18:12 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my smartuner mounted at the base of a 135' inverted L antenna and I can tune 160 thru 10 with no problems and I get great signal reports. I did take the time to install at least 8 ground radials in addition to an 8' ground rod. The unit is about 50' away from my house and shack. The vertical portion of the antenna is about 30' high. I am very pleased and I highly recommend this tuner. 73, Mark N3NJ.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2009 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Solved my antenna problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had used a Cushcraft R8 vertical for 5 years but wanted to experience 80 and 160 meters for a change. Asked HRO in Delaware what would be a good tuner to try with different antenna wires etc. Right away they mentioned the 237 and said it is their best seller for mobiles and fixed stations. Just experimenting with a total of 210 feet in a closed horizonal loop type antenna which fit in my back yard, it is amazing how many stations I can now work around the world. Since the tuner is located in a shed 60 feet from the house, I was able to have 12 volts for it and a good earth ground. It has worked without any problems now for over a year and stations on 160 meters are surprised I am only using medium power. One advantage of a closed loop is the lack of noise and can hear stations which others in my area cannot hear at all. Am now using the tuner and antenna with my new Flex Radio 5000A.

KP4DAC Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2009 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Better than Icom AH-4  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just replaced my home base old Icom AH-4 after it broke with the SGC-237. What a difference!!!. With 30ft of wire wrapped around a palm tree I was able to tune down to 1.5MHz. I did my first 1000 miles contact on 160 meters, reporting 59. Not bad for 100watts Icom 706MKIIG. After you tune all the bands first time it recalls the tuning settings in one second. Strongly recommend the SGC-237 over the AH-4.

N1BBR Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2009 19:35 Send this review to a friend
An awesome little tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think I've been playing with tuners for 30 years. My first rig was a WWII PT-boat 3-piece set.
I've been cranken/switchen rollers and caps ever since. My spare parts bins are full to the brim with tuners and tuner parts. But the purchase of this little unit, SGC's SG-237 brings me into a new arena of haming.
It is MHO that most commercially manufactured tuners today are a really designed to handle optimum antenna parameters. This is especially true of the in-board units. RF Engineers may like to make things robust, but the marketing manager disagrees. He wants to spit out stuff thats as cheap as possible for the best ROI.

With these types of compromised units, one antenna after another plays as a compromised station, where one or maybe two of your favored bands is un-matchable.
But now with the SG-237......
Currently I'm running a 130' doublet fed by 68' of 450 ladder.
I've put the 237 through its paces on 160, 80, 40, 30 and 20, and It's found an SWR of < 3:1 every where. Once it learns its settings, your ready to play without reaching for a roller-crank or switch.

Now I want to play with it on some other antenna configs. The delta-loop, and then a long wire, and then a hybred dx half-square. It will be fun to see the different propogation characteristics of these configs now that I don't have to focus so much on matching.

Thanks SGC....for the new toy! :^)

W9CN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2008 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner for mobile use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am running the SG-237 into a 102 inch whip on my trailer hitch with a Yaesu FT 857D. This weekend I worked an EA8 (Canary Island) and Bosnia-Herzegovina on 20 M from Denver Colorado.

Yes it took some work to land both of these but the SG-237 performed flawlessly. Tunes up quickly and hold the tune just fine.

And yes you have to strap and bond everything on your car, including the truck lid, hood, exhaust system (in a couple of places), engine block and just about anything that might not have a solid ground and yes you have to have a very solid ground to the SG-237 to the chassis (more than a hunk of wire) and yes you have to use lots of braid to do this and you know what? If you do it right can can work and EA8 and Bosnia-Herzegovina on 20 meters with 100 watts from your car.

100% happy customer who would buy it again.

Mike Pappas
W9CN

VE3XDB Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2007 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner - better than 239  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I have had my 237 in operation in its permanent location since early July, following its portable initiation at field day at a campsite.

The current antenna is about 60' long, in an inverted L, with ten 20' radials and one 70' counterpoise. It's only about 12' vertical, with the remaining 48' sloping upward to a tie off point on the back of my house, just under the eavestrough, about 18' up. The orientation of the antenna is NS, with the feedpoint at the south end of the antenna. The coupler is in a plastic container hung on the fence at the back of the yard. The coax and power cables are strung through the fence from the house to the tuner. Very modest setup.

Since July 2nd, I have had about 160 QSO's, all CW, on 80, 40, 30, 20 and 17 meters. Most have been on 40 meters. Power has ranged from 3 watts to 50 watts, with most at 40 watts.

DX has included:
LZ170VL 40 meters 40 watts 599
6W1SE 20 meters 40 watts 599
EI6IZ 20 meters 40 watts 559
YVAGZ/7 40 meters 40 watts 569

The rest of the contacts are North American, including the Carribean. I should do a more formal analysis by band to see the actual prorogation characteristics, but here are my perceptions. On 40 meters, the antenna tends to favour NS, with contacts into Europe, and along the eastern seaboard. On 30, it seems to be more
omnidirectional, and on 20 it seems to favour N, which is good for Europe.

As for the coupler itself, the 237 has been very well behaved, very different that my experience with the 239. It tunes everything from 80 to 10 meters, although I have seen a bit of retuning on 10 and 12 meters, during testing. SWR has been typically less than 1.4:1. On 80 through 15 meters, it's solid. I still have my old homemade
Smartlock that I used with my 239's, but haven't needed it, at all, with the 237.

Overall, the tuner is good, and the antenna is ok. I think my dipole had better ears. But for a single wire, this is fine for now.

Doug VE3XDB

KG7AMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2007 02:40 Send this review to a friend
Thanks, KP4DAC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks, KP4DAC for all the great advice I have Uploaded Your PDF File to a Server On Installing This Tuner with the Icom 706 In An Airplane Hope It Helps Others Thanks Again, http://72.232.98.98/~aircraft/ferrypilotforms/706_In_Airplane.pdf

KG7AMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 20:56 Send this review to a friend
SG-237 North Atlantic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the SGC SG-237 will be trying it out soon with my IC-706MKIIG so far it seems to be awesome little unit. In reference to KP4DAC, I am also a North Atlantic Ferry Pilot have any contact info? mine is ferryservice @ ferrypilotservice.com

KP4DAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 17:40 Send this review to a friend
SG-237 vs AH-4  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the Icom AH-4 antenna tuner with the IC706MKIIG on my plane and planes that I ferry to Europe. But had problems with the AH-4 below 7Mhz with a 16ft wire from tail to cockpit. I just replaced the AH-4 with the SG-237 and right away I was able to transmit down to 2.7MHZ with 1:1 SWR. The SG-237 also works very well in all the other bands. It takes a little bit long on the first tune but once it has it in memory is pretty quick recalling the settings. I have an AH-4 at home with 35ft of wire and it works perfectly. But after trying three AH-4 on planes I found that the SG-237 is the way to go for short wire antennas.

VE7AFZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2006 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been very pleased with my SGC 237. It appears to perform as advertised. I have had good results on 160M thru 15M using it to feed a 40-foot sloping long wire antenna suspended from two poles on the roof of my house, with a counterpoise consisting of several hundred feet of wire in various lengths laid out on the roof. I would have been happier if SGC did not find it necessary recommend that this tuner have additional protection from the weather when mounted outdoors. In fairness to SGC this recommendation is well documented and I was aware of this prior to purchasing the tuner so I can't really complain. I would have been prepared to pay $50.00 or so more for a tuner that could be mounted outside without extra weather protection, or perhaps they could consider selling a supplemental housing for this tuner. All in all I am pleased and I would purchase another SGC 237 tuner in the future.