Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | FlexRadio FLEX-6700 Help

Reviews Summary for FlexRadio FLEX-6700
FlexRadio FLEX-6700 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $7,499.00
Description: Software Define Radio Transceiver with 8 independent full performance receivers from 0.03MHz to 77MHz and 135Mhz to 165MHz
More info: http://www.flex-radio.com/

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio FLEX-6700.

KM4CQG Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2017 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Great SDR BUT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I waited 2 years to write this review to make sure I have tested all aspects other then CW.
The receiver is outstanding the filters are good and continue to improve with each software update. Flex says there Brickwall filters I don't believe this is an accurate statement. Software is very easy to control the radio and remote station integration is easily accomplished. Several times in the summer I'm in my pool having both SSB and Digital QSO if that interests you. Audio Quality from the Balance XLR Input jack in the rear simply can't be beat especially if you tune your Microphone via the integrated 8 Band Equalizer Best on the market!

They say Humans learn approximately 80% from visual the rest Sound the Flex provides Pan Adapter display that in my opinion is the best in the current market. Couple this with a set of Bose Companion speakers and you have a excellent visual and audio experience.

Receivers how many do you really need. I started out with the Flex 6500 and 4 receivers this was plenty. But what drove me to the Flex 6700 was the 2nd Spectral Capture unit and Antenna Diversity setting. After playing with Diversity for the past 2 years my opinion is it's not worth the trouble a simple noise Phase shift works almost as well. But as I have progressed in digital modes I find myself leaving 4 to 6 receivers open looking for Band opening and WSPR reporter or PSK reporter.
In actual use I run all 8 Receivers at times.

Dedicated receiver antenna is a plus as is the new FDX feature that lets you receive while another slice is transmitting.

So what's the negative it's Windows and all the updates that come along with it. The only cure I see is to have a dedicated computer just for the Flex Radio and turn off Windows Auto update. This will work for a while but isn't a permanent fix.

DAX seems to have priority issues within Windows and at times becomes corrupted.

Hopefully if your on the fence this will help you decide if the Flex Radio is for you. Flex has introduced new models like the 6400 and 6600 integrating a knob unit like Maestro into it's Front Cabinet. This unit should get more traditional operators into SDR and help Flex increase it's market share.

Good DX and 73s
Ian
KM4CQG

WG5D Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2017 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only used the Flexradio 6700 for a short time now but am already amazed at the capabilities and performance. The software integrates easily to the other applications that I regularly use such as Ham Radio Deluxe. It also works well with the specialized MARS software that I need to operate MARS digital operations.

It is quite cool to be able to monitor up to eight bands simultaneously as I can see what is going on just about anywhere in the HF spectrum at a glance without having to change bands as I did with my other radios. It only took me a few hours to get used to operating a radio without turning dials and pushing buttons.

The radio is relatively small and very lightweight and is going to save me some back pain when operating Field Day this year. Lugging the IC-7700 to the field is painful. The ability to run the rig with a laptop from just about anywhere is also a plus though my neighbors think I am strange when I sit on the porch with a laptop that has a Heil Pro Headset plugged into it.

I have been quite pleased with the receiver, using the filters and equalizer, I can pull out just about any signal, some that are wo weak that they barely show on the panadapter. Reports that I have received on the audio of the transmitter have all been good as well.

As other folks have mentioned here, the Flexradio support is great. Being a MARS operator I had to get a software mod to allow the radio to operate on MARS frequencies and I used the online support system to open a ticket and I have the mod within a couple of hours Ė great response time.

Phil - WG5D

N9AT Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Flex 6700 offers the most flexability  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi to everyone:

I purchased a Flex 6700 a little over a year ago. Unfortunately I broke both bones in my leg and could not get into the shack to hook up the radio. No matter, Flex said they would honor my warranty anyway. It turned out I needed to send back the radio for repair after their service tech spent time logged into my machine and said it needed to go in for service. Flex sent me an RMA and return UPS sticker. The radio was delivered back to me after seven calendar days. That, friends, is service.

This radio is fantastic. I also have an Icom 7851 and the noise floor is lower in the Flex and I hear things I donít in the IC-7851. I will probably not live long enough to enjoy all the features this radio presents. It seems to me Flex has thought of everything possible in the software and still, they continue to update and add to the software capabilities. Download the documentation and see for yourself.

Flex is coming out with a new 1500 watt solid state amp, hopefully this summer, that will integrate with the Flex and allow SO2R with one radio and one amp. I canít wait to play with this amp. Yes, this is an SDR and you donít have all the knobs but you need to look at the pan adapter. It is truly unbelievable. No other pan adapter has this much capability and contest functionality. I use a Flex Maestro upstairs in my office late at night if I donít want to walk downstairs to the shack. It has lots of knobs and works beautifully. Yesterday I turned it on in the afternoon and worked Serbia and Italy in just a few minutes barefoot, 100 watts. There are stations who use the Flex and Maestro together in contest mode.

This is not only a fabulous radio with terrific service but it is a company that is not standing still. They continue to bring new products and opportunities to market for us.
73 Allan, N9AT

KL2D Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2017 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Amazing peice of equipment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It would be difficult to say how much I really like this radio, and I can hardly compare to some of the excellent reviews already written here. I have had a Flex-6500 for several years (before that was a FTDX-5000MP), and enjoyed it so much I just upgraded to the Flex-6700 in the last couple of weeks. The 6700 is all the radio the 6500 was, times two.

I think that is the best review I could possibly give.

Flex Radio accepted my 6500 in partial trade for the 6700, with a very fair price offered. Their customer service is amazing and extremely responsive.

I am happy enough with Flex that I gladly paid the $1,000 deposit on their upcoming solid state amplifier. If it integrates and works as well as the radios it will be amazing.

Like others have said I do not miss the buttons and knobs at all, and I think the user interface is fare more intuitive in SmartSDR than with a traditional radio. The ability to see what a signal looks like, what the filter shape looks like in comparison to the signal, and visualize so much more of how the audio and RF signals are related has really expanded my understanding of radio.

Digital work is amazingly simple with Flex, no more cables. Everything is connected from the desktop of my computer, and seamlessly integrated. The ability to connect USB peripherals directly to the radio and control from within the software interface has increased this even more.

This weekend I was working SSB phone on 20M, while working digital PSK-31 on 20M at the same time, and monitoring 17M, 15M, 10M, 40M, and 2M. :-) Switching to work another band is as simple as clicking on the signal you want to work on the panadapter... You can literally see just about the entire spectrum at any one time. It's pretty amazing.

I also like that with software updates, new features are continuing to be rolled out and improvements to existing features made.

Just my two cents, but if you are interested in SDR you won't be disappointed with a Flex.

N2RJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2016 11:46 Send this review to a friend
THE top radio, bar none.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the rig for a little less than a month now.

Background: Doing a shack refresh, I was evaluating transceiver choices. I am coming from an Icom 756ProIII, purchased about 10 years ago. I could go with another Icom or I could go with a K3S or something else. I also have interest in doing SO2R contesting. I also wanted to do remote operation which I had done with Ham Radio Deluxe, RemAud and Skype.

My friend Dave, WO2X is the Flex "go to guy" in this area. He had brought a 6700 and Maestro to our club meeting (NJDXA). I was pretty impressed at what I saw. After a little while evaluating other options, and the Icom 7300 came to market, I thought I would go that direction. Then I realized it has some fundamental shortcomings, mostly in that it is an SDR that doesn't behave like one. I want a radio where I can skim the whole band with CW Skimmer and two independent receivers (at least). I didn't see the capability to have an I/Q output where I could do that. I felt that it boxed up the full capability inside of a case so that people would get SDR performance but not full SDR usability.

So I settled on the Flex. I chose the 6700 because I wanted to be able to do SO2R. Bob, N4HY gave a presentation at my contest club (FRC) and I was pretty much sold.

First impressions:

It is pretty small and light compared to my IC756 ProIII.
It looks like a cable TV DVR, which is not bad. I can keep it away from my focused operating position.
It eliminated nearly all of the cables from rig to other stuff.
SmartSDR was easy to setup but I had to get used to a different way of operating.
Stellar support from Flex, plenty of third party support and a great user community.
13.8 volts seemed a bit counter intuitive but I guess most hams already have that power in their shacks.

The receiver performance is pretty outstanding. I am hearing things which were barely a whisper before. WNB for chronic noise is also excellent.

But most of all, the usability is bar none. I can monitor JT65 on 6 meters while rag chewing on 40 and using CW skimmer on up to 4 bands. DAX gives a clean, digital signal path to digital mode software so you don't have noise issues like you do with some analog sound card interfaces. Operating CW is a breeze with Skimmer integration. Most DX is now point and click. SSB pileups are easy too with the panafall display.

And contesting is pretty much enhanced now with full support for N1MM+. I also experience absolutely zero issues with adjacent signals that I did on the ProIII. The receiver is excellent.

And finally, I can remote it via my iPhone with the SmartSDR App in the App store and get much of the functionality that I get from SmartSDR on the desktop.

Next I am hoping to get a legal limit amp or near legal limit amp to complement it.

I did not get the Maestro and to me the Maestro would actually not use the full capabilities of the radio. I am not really missing knobs and switches all that much. I got a FlexControl with it which is perfect. Most times I use the mouse to drag the slider anyway.

KF4HR Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2016 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Since I received my Flex-6700 my ICOM IC-7800 hasn't seen much use, in fact it mostly collects dust now. Prior to my Flex purchase I was concerned I'd miss turning knobs and pushing buttons, but those concerns quickly faded away. While I do own and use the Flex Control Knob accessory occasionally, 95% of time I'm comfortable controlling everything with a trackball. Having the ability to visually check the HF and VHF bands all at the same time with 8 receiver slices is great, and the overall flexibility and spectrum display(s) of this transceiver is amazing. Flex Radio Systems continues to add new features through updated versions of their SmartSDR software. Flex Tech Support is also 1st rate.

There's no telling what new technology may be coming down the pike but for now I can't imagine any reason why I would want to go back a knob & button radio.

K3GC Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2015 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Yaesu FT DX-5000 was and still is one of the very best and it is now for sale.

Just a few weeks ago I took a deep breath and pulled the trigger on the Flex 6700. To say it has exceeded all expectations is a gross understatement.

The receiver is amazingly quiet. I am working stations I could not hear before.
Diversity is mind blowing. The first time I heard my Hex beam in one ear and the Steppir vertical in the other I let out an insane giggle. The sum of the parts is indeed greater than the whole.
For many it will be a problem to wean away from all those pretty buttons, switches and dials, but well, astonishingly worth it.

I was already using a pan-adapter so the transition was easy. The Flex pan-adapters are far better than any I have ever seen before.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. Software Defined Radio is the future of ham radio and Flex is the best of the best.

NN4ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2014 11:16 Send this review to a friend
CW OP gives it a 5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Time owned - 1 year in August 2014

Running V1.3 of SSDR at time of this review.

Caveats: I'm 100% CW so no feedback here on other modes. My main interest is CW DXing -- good RX and CW performance is what I'm looking for. QSK up to 100 WPM is supported and while I'm not going to come close to needing that speed, it shows how well the rig handles CW. The receiver is very good and IMHO it is right up there with the best. (the quantitative reports from QST and Sherwood are not out yet so it remains to be seen how they will rate it). There are requests for additional enhancements to some of the DSP features ( NB, NR, and APF) and to add adaptive predistortion (ADP) that will further enhance the receive and transmit metrics.

With the current software version, memory keying was added and support for CW Skimmer was already there. The user interface coupled with the optional FlexControl is very good. There is also an iPad app to allow more control surface options. Some of our contester friends would like to see additional improvements and better integration with some of the contest loggers. I'm not a contester and my comments are not meant to say contesters won't be happy with the software as it exists now.

My previous radio was a Yaesu FTDX9000. It didn't take me long to forget the knobs and buttons (okay I use the FlexControl for tuning sometimes). The 6700 and SmartSDR user interface is a much better choice for me. (I sold the FTDX9000)

There are still a number of improvements I'd like to see and the Flex community and Yahoo forum are great places to discuss them. Company support is very good and they closely monitory and participate in the FRS community. The Yahoo group is a user operated forum - Link here:

Bottom Line --- The software continues to be updated with new features and bug fixes every 3 months or so. I waited for the software features I needed until I could give the radio a 5 rating. With the V1.3 update it's now there for me. There are some exciting new features coming and I'm sure many of the small enhancements we are looking for will be added too.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Well Designed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Time owned: Eight months. Excellent hardware design, MIL-Spec quality construction. Stable and reliable operation. Software and firmware constantly being improved and upgraded. Superior Rx and Tx audio quality, and one of the best CW QSK transceivers I've owned. A solid performer.

KR4K Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2014 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Ham radio's future  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
6700 is the most amazing amateur transceiver I've every used. SDR is amateur radio's future, and it is so much fun to be experiencing that future today.

After using the 6700 along side my TS-2000, the Flex 6700 is clearly a step up in overall performance.

The features and the possibilities, are large. As the software develops, the 6700 platform will remain ahead of all other radios. The platform offers nearly everything an amateur could want. The iPad app is really neat, and I use the DAX feature and Skype to get two-way audio remotely. Fldigi and PACTOR worked first time. The DAX and CAT interfaces eliminate all the wires. Remote desktop programs like Splashtop allow full remote control.

The Flex Radio staff is professional and responsive. Their customer service is superb, and the on-line community is extremely helpful.