Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | G7FEK 80-40M SMALL GARDEN ANTENNA Help

Reviews Summary for G7FEK 80-40M SMALL GARDEN ANTENNA
G7FEK  80-40M SMALL GARDEN  ANTENNA Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$$$cheap to built
Description: Advantages

Small size (46ft long x 24ft high)
50 ohm Coaxial Feed
Multi-band operation for 80m to 10m
ATU less operation possible on up to 4 primary bands (80m/40m/20m/15m)
Low angle of radiation dominant (good for DX)
Easy to construct and set up.
More info: http://www.g7fek.co.uk/blogus/newsshow.php?page=80m_Antenna_for_small_gar_49493

You can write your own review of the G7FEK 80-40M SMALL GARDEN ANTENNA.

K7MWJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2017 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice Surprise!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I became a ham in January 2015, and got my general ticket in June that year. I wanted something that I could get on the HF bands without spending a lot of money and put up in my small-ish back yard at the time. I looked around for weeks. I bought an end-fed feed point and got a 123’ wire strung around the yard. It worked pretty well, but felt it could be better receiving, since listening was all I was doing at that time. I did try to xmit on 10m on the "yellow" Tech frequencies and on 6m, but no hits.

When I was taking my General exam, I overheard a couple of the VECs talking about this antenna and how they’d like to try it that summer. These two gentlemen were seasoned veterans and I figured if they were interested, it may have merit. I asked for the antenna name and went home to research with my newly-earned license. At one point I even contacted Mike (G7FEK) with questions. He got back to me right away with good, straight answers. He even wanted me to write him back so he would know how it worked out if put one up.

I found some old military 4’ fiberglass poles and glued 6 of them together. Made the antenna as per Mike’s instructions. I guyed the top of the “mast” I made, which I had attached to my corner fence post. I ran one end of the antenna up the mast on a pulley while the other end was attached with rope to my 2m mast on the chimney of my two-story house. That end was at about 25’ where the mast end was right at 24’. I had about 6’ of rope at each end. Ran the ladder line down to where I could attach the two ends of the ladder line on one side and the radial runs on the other. Attached my coax, and made an ugly balun with 9 wraps around a 6” PVC pipe then headed the coax into the house. ran two long radials, with one attached at the end to my chain link fence fabric.

I was pretty amazed at the performance. The antenna tuned up well on everything but 20m, which I’m sure was a construction shortfall. I hit NZ and AUS on a couple different digital modes and Japan, eastern Canada and Russia on phone from my QTH on Oregon. I even did a JT65 QSO with The Azores! I was even able to make contacts on 30m and 60m!

I have since moved and don’t have a wire up yet (at least at the time of writing of this review) to get on 80 through 30. I have a larger yard very tall trees in each of the back corners of the property. I could put up just about anything I want, but am thinking of doing this antenna again since it was a superb performer.

N6SBN Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2017 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Small, simple and works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a clever antenna that is cheap to build and works very well on 40 and 80. A couple of points.
1) Dont put the vertical ladder line next to a steel push up mast.
2) Make the dipole ends longer in length and wrap the extra back on the dipole. If you need to lengthen the antenna, just unwind some of the extra wire.
3) Follow the tuning instructions to get this antenna to get it to work on more than 40 and 80.
G7FEK documentation is very well written. It was a pleasure to build.

EI2HPB Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2016 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Easy to build, works well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For what it is I believe this simple antenna design deserves a 5 rating. My main reason for building it was to get on 80m from a very small back garden where everything I put up for that band is a compromise. I made the G7FEK as per he directions I found online but used a small buried radial field I already had instead of the two slightly elevated radials the design suggests. In my experience I needed to add small amounts of wire to both the 40m and 80m tops in order to achieve resonance on those bands but with a little patience I now have a multiband antenna which works well on 4 bands without a tuner 80,40,20 and 15m. In fairness the bandwidth on 80 is quite narrow so a tuner would be useful if you need to venture away from the useable portion which in my case is between 3.730 and 3.800. On 40, 20 and 15 the entire SSB portions are usable without a tuner. I have made some nice contacts on 80m including my first VK on that band with a 5/7 report so I am very happy with the antenna. I made a decent 1:1 choke balun for the feedpoint using 17 turns of RG58 on a 240/43 Ferrite ring which I believe helps to smooth the SWR out as well as keeping at least some noise off the transmission line. If you like experimenting with wire antennas and have a small garden try the G7FEK, you might be pleasantly surprised :)

WF8O Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2016 18:44 Send this review to a friend
antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works as claimed! Allows me to have decent activity on 80 meters and as a bonus on 40,10,20, 17, 15, and 10! I cut the vertical ladder line to 24 ft. but left the horizontal arms a bit long ( abt 10%). This detuning lets my K-2 tuner match on even 20 and 10 meters! Great stealth antenna with no comromise. Am using 28 ft. Jackite fiberglass telescoping pole.

KF5ZOV Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2015 15:46 Send this review to a friend
This is a good multiband wire antenna.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a multi-band wire antenna that would allow me to remove three mono-band dipoles above my house. I installed the antenna according to directions and have had generally good results. The internal ATU in my TS-480SAT will tune 6, 15, 17, 20, 40, and 80 meters on this antenna. I cannot tune 10 or 12 meters. When 6m is open, I have good reception from the U.S. Northeast, but was not heard at the time. The 20m stub arrangement is not as good as my 20 meter dipole. Reception is 2-3db less on the G7FEK. There are times when propagation is just right that the G7FEK equals the 20 meter dipole. At 40 meters, reception and transmission are as good or better than my 40 meter dipole - it will come down. The G7FEK permits me to work 15, 17, and 80 meters, which I could not without it. I really like the G7FEK. I constructed the G7FEK according to online instructions. I carefully measured wire length, put it at the proper height, and constructed the ladder line. Four radials, 2 at 60 feet and 2 at 30 feet, running in broken directions contribute significantly. I have not placed a balun between the ladder line and coax.

VK6WB Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finish built this antenna, and it worked fantastic. very low ground noise.worked better then my hustler 5-btv vertical antenna.I have left over ladder line 450ohm. i though well..i will make this antenna just to have fun..the center line i use a
ladder grabber that i have for few years.website
i mount the antenna between two palm tree and at the feed point i use a 1:1 choke balun made by
Balundesigns. of course i add in 3 ground radial.
2 for 80m and 1 for 40m. and vswr perfect all band.i would love to put full size antenna but my yard here ain't big 500 sqm .so i choose this small size that work for 80 and 40m.
so is your turn to give it a try...

cheers and beers 73