Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Tokyo Hy-Power HC-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HC-2000
Tokyo Hy-Power HC-2000 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300.00 (US)
Description: 2kw deluxe HF antenna tuner
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HC-2000.

AA6SC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Details and User Guide  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Found an HC-2000 on eBay and was encouraged by the reviews on this page. Bought it. Glad I did. I own two other transmatches, plus a third I built from U.S. Army Signal Corps WW II surplus parts. All three work well; all three have roller coils (variable inductors). Was wondering what the HC-2000 would be like with the tapped coil. Turns out my concern was unwarranted. The HC-2000 BAND switch selects the appropriate tap; all that are left are the TUNE and LOAD knobs, and it's ready for action. These two knobs have 2:1 ratios (Vernier style, sans a Vernier scale) that provide precise adjustments. In my opinion the HC-2000 approaches lab-grade quality. Here is the link to a web page I built with close-up photos and a downloadable PDF of the HC-2000 user guide, all free, no strings, no ads, no tracking. Just one ham to another.

Thanks for reading.

AA6SC

W3QT Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was using one of the leading tuners on todayís market. When the HC-2000 became available I was curious, having read the reviews on eHam, so I bought it. I have not been disappointed. In fact, I sold the first tuner and kept the HC-2000! Itís that good! I put it through its paces in a side by side comparison with my first tuner on several antennas and across all bands. The HC-2000 actually, to my surprise, did a better job than the other one. There arenít many of these around, so if you see one seriously think about grabbing it. You will not be disappointed. Itís a keeper. About the only criticism I have is it would be nice to have lighted meters, which, by the way, are spot on.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2012 16:16 Send this review to a friend
solid well built tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this tuner from Tony NY3R. I needed a legal limit tuner and he mentioned he had this one laying around. He gave it to me at a great deal! A quick thanks out to Tony. Anyhow this tuner is a real gem. Tunes my fan dipole where ever I need it within the amateur bands. Once set at a particular freq, it doesn't budge if you're throwing 1.5/Kw or .1 watts through it. Very well built and easy to use. The meters read spot on. This tuner screams quality! There aren't many of these around from what I can tell on the NET. So if you find one, buy it. I doubt you'll regret it.

AA5WM Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2011 08:22 Send this review to a friend
smooth, functional, positive  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used with a variety of antennas, LPD, wire w/ coax feed, wire w/ ladder line feed (and a Balun Designs 4:1). If this coupler lacks anything it is illumination for the meters. It is a high quality piece of gear.

KT9O Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2010 12:03 Send this review to a friend
A very old friend in my shack.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner brand new sometime in the mid to late 80's with the notion that it would be the only tuner I'd ever need. It has been just that. Still looks new, provides superb tuning on every band, including 160 meters. Indeed, I've tried a couple of so-called automatic tuners, but they left me cold. They're long gone, but the old HC-2000 is till faithfully tuning my antennas. Great value !!

K8RWH Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2007 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and rugged  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this gem for the balanced antenna terminals, THP reputation, and kw capability (future amp?). My unit did not have a built-in balun as an above review, so I wound a 4:1 on a t-200-2 toroid. Am thrilled with the loading on 160-20, and am winding a new toroid or 2 to see if 4:1 or 6:1 is best to unlock 160-10 on my 80m loop. Array Solutions and Wireman provided eloquent advice, and thanks to them, I'm discovering new capabilities all the time with this excellent tuner, my first manual transmatch.

KK0K Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2006 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Quality Equipment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can only second what the three previous reviewers have said about the HC-2000. It is a solid, very well made piece of equipment. The HC-2000 that I own was purchase used nine months ago. So far the tuner has performed flawless at power levels from 100 to 1500 watts, and I have not had any problem using it to match my transceivers/amplifiers to my collection of wire antennas (dipoles). I have been so pleased with my HC-2000 that I have removed my two other tuners (a Heathkit SA-2040 and a Palstar AT4K) from service and placed them into storage.

I agree with N1FCJ that the isolation in the HC-2000ís antenna switch may not be as good as some stand-alone coax/antenna switches, but I have not found this to be a problem. I also agree that it would have been nice if Tokyo Hy-Power had seen fit to provide lights in the tunerís meters, but the meters are large enough so that the fact they arenít lighted really hasnít been an issue.

N1FCJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2006 14:03 Send this review to a friend
If you find one of these gems, buy it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you find one of these tuners, buy it! You won't be sorry. I bought mine new at HRO over 10 years ago, after returning a cheap Ameritron piece of garbage (discontinued model). I've never once regretted buying this and I doubt I will ever sell mine. It's built like a tank and once I took the cover off, I had a real admiration for Tokyo High Power.

The variable capacitors are very high quality with ball bearings. It has silky smooth vernier tuning and although the tuner uses fixed inductors rather than a roller, I have never found anything it won't match. It has a 6 position antenna switch built-in. Four positions have coax connectors (one of those labeled for a dummy load but can be used for an antenna if you wish). The other two positions are for wire antennas (1 long wire and one balanced). The antenna switch does not have as good isolation as an Alpha-Delta but it is usable. The tuner has a built-in 4:1 balun for balanced loads. You can also switch the tuner out of the line if you don't need it.

Two high quality meters indicate power (20W/200W/2000W scales) and SWR. My only minor complaint is that they are not lighted but they are easy to see even in dim light. The tuner is rated at 2KW PEP on all bands except 160M. It is rated at 500W PEP on 160M but I have run 1100W PEP into it without a hiccup on that band. The tuner is very well shielded throughout. A real gem!

K9XK Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2003 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Hard to Beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for at least ten years, using everything from high-quality yagis to random wires to loops to dipoles with shorts on the coax from squirrel activity, and this thing never blinks from 20w to 2Kw.

No arcs, no funny sounds or smells. It just does its job. I can't imagine getting rid of it.

WB4OMM Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2001 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Top End Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired my HC-2000 as used equipment from a local club member. I wanted to work HF bands on a random wire dipole. With a new MSRP of $300.00 (US), my unit was purchased for $175.00.
Attached to a 90' dipole fed with 9913 coax (with a W2DU center balun), I could tune every band from 160-10 (including the WARC bands) and get a 1:1 match for my transceiver (Yaesu FT-767GX). An added plus, I could run my amplifier (AL-80 with 600+ watts) without a problem. Very easy to use, and not "touchy" - but you need to have a decent ground cable to the tuner, and an effective ground system (as you should for any antenna!). This unit has served me well for the past 4 years. It is manufactured like a tank, with quality parts throughout. A long term "keeper" unit if you want to tune various antennas. I particularly liked the "dummy load" position; I attached a 1 KW dry dummy load directly to the tuner unit, and found it very easy to pre-tune my rig.
In all, a fine piece of equipment!