Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Xiegu X1M - 5 Watt QRP Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Xiegu X1M - 5 Watt QRP Radio
Xiegu X1M - 5 Watt QRP Radio Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $329
Description: USB & LSB & CW
0.5 - 30 MHz / 5 watts / 100 memories
Assembled, or Kit (All SMT parts finished)
1.43 Pounds. PTT Mic included
3-13/16 x 1-9/16 x 6-1/8 inches
More info: http:///www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=302

You can write your own review of the Xiegu X1M - 5 Watt QRP Radio.

WB6CAN Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2017 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Fun radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Fun little QRP rig. I had low TX audio with no high end so I replaced the mic element with a mic element from an old Apple notebook computer. Then I reset the mic gain for best performance and reset the AGC for best performance. I now get good reception and much better signal reports. I think the original mic element was for FM use which would limit the high end needed for SSB. The Apple computer mic element fits in the mic case, has a much better response curve and works much better with this rig. For CW I reduced the side tone by reseting the side tone pot to a manageable
level. Lots of fun, good rig have fun.
73 Phil

W8TEE Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2016 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Updated Review After Repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I found someone to fix my X1M. He's Lance Robbins, KF5OIZ. My X1M is now healthy again. It turns out I had a bad relay in the rig and a weak transistor. Lance does not do this full time, so if you want to use him, write first and see if he has the time. It took about two weeks for mine and he also added an AGC board, too. The charges were reasonable and he's good to work with.

I have worked a number of both CW and SSB contacts since getting the rig back. Once you get used to the menuing system, it's pretty easy to use, has good audio, and the receiver is surprisingly sensitive. It's not an Elecraft, but for the money, it is very useful and its size makes it viable for backpacking. I'm happy.

AF7EC Rating: 2/5 Jan 29, 2016 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't meet expectations but has potential  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I was blessed with the Xiegu X1M Pro for my birthday recently. Since I don't have a 'real' HF rig, I was excited to get the X1M connected and on the air. The excitement soon turned to disappointment.

When firing it up and listening to CW traffic on 40 meters, the receive audio quality left much to be desired. I have a 1970's Heathkit SB-303 HF receiver and the audio from it is leaps and bounds better than the X1M. I know the X1M is not a Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood, but even with reasonable expectations for this type of lower-cost QRP enthusiast rig, the audio just did not have the dynamic range and clarity that it should. I think even my inexpensive Tecsun shortwave receiver has slightly better audio than the X1M.

Yes, I did perform the alignment procedure in the online manual. Yes, I watched the alignment video on YouTube. Yes, I tried headphones, the pre-amp on and off, all modes. Yes, I tried different power supplies. Yes, I did the factory reset more than once. I just could not get the audio to sound even half-ways decent. What made matters worse is that the radio's enclosure buzzed and resonated with received audio, even at fairly low levels. (sigh)

Another issue was the presence of birdies. While I didn't do a scientific study, they were very narrow and present when using 100 Hz steps on 40 meters. I'm sure they were on other bands and probably other tuning steps. They were just too narrow to be carriers or external of the radio.

The front display is small but clear and definitely readable. Navigation of the various functions and menus is straightforward and very easy to master.

The metal enclosure does get warm on the bottom, but this helps dissipate heat from the voltage regulator inside. I recommend making or purchasing some sort of stand to allow air to flow around the entire radio.

When I first opened the box containing my X1M, the back panel had a deep scratch that someone tried to cover with a marker. There was also at least one small ding on the front of the enclosure.

My unit's S/N was 10046US with firmware X1MPRO V1.024 USA. It had a BNC antenna connector.

I feel with better firmware (possibly open-sourced?), a slightly bigger screen and better attention to quality-control this radio could really take off with QRP enthusiasts. It's a shame it's not there yet.

For the money that was spent on this radio in new condition (around $360 USD), I expected a bit more than what I got. The audio issue plus the birdie issue plus the scratches added up to the final straw for me. It's going back, unfortunately.

Thanks for reading!

Will B.
AF7EC

WD8KTQ Rating: 0/5 Dec 26, 2015 17:48 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Worked for a few months then transmit quit. Sent it back to Wouxon USA for warranty repair/replacement. They replaced the unit with a new one that was DOA. Returned the second one and demanded a full refund. They did refund my original purchase price but I was out about $40 for having to return it twice.

KH6VP Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought quite a few of these to replace Yaesu FT-817 and FT-100 used in the DXFLIGHTS airplane tracking network.
The important thing for me is excellent sensitivity, computer control and low power consumption. It has all three.
It is ultra light, uses very little power (I use a cheap 7A Pb battery and a solar charger), and created a delta loop as an antenna, easy to carry.
You have to get used to the menu system, but at $250 each, new from a dealer in Greece (DRELE), you can't beat it.
I think this is what new hams should get as HF radio.
I now plan to design a one tube RF amplifier for less than $100.

K6MTS Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2015 22:34 Send this review to a friend
X!M Pro is a Fun little rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Overall not too bad. If you are looking for KX3 quality...LOL, or even FT817 level, you will be disappointed. If you accept it for what it is and what it costs it can bring lots of pleasure.

Pros: Ultralight, great for backpackers/sota/portable QRP. Fun to use, compact, easy to operate. I use mine with Lipo 4s batts and 2amp regulator.

Cons: Tuning encoder jumps at times. No easy way to change bands except using memory. Pretty much no support except Yahoo groups. No AM or FM. A bit over priced (if you can find one anymore).

But, mine has been a blast and I really missed it when it was down. Got new front panel as I had hacked pcb changing encoders. Put holes in mic and adjusted gain for decent audio, added AGC board, and now its really a fun little rig. I've seen them used for around $250 which is a great price.

Again, if you accept it for what it is, and not expect it to equal Yaesu or Elecraft standards then you may just have a blast with it.

N8HSD Rating: 3/5 Jan 6, 2015 20:38 Send this review to a friend
fun simple fragile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this radio a little over six months. I would rate it a 2.9. It arrived defective--wobbly rotor that led to frequency jumps. I was sent a replacement front panel, no questions asked. With a simple Par End Fed tri-band antenna (up high) I have made numerous contacts throughout North America and into Europe. I generally get good audio reports. As a long time QRPer, I quite enjoy this little radio. As you can learn from the Yahoo users' group, however, the radio has several weak points, and can be prone to failure. IMO, it's an amazing, slightly overpriced (considering the cost of Chinese vhf radios) toy. If you are looking for more than that, you may well be disappointed. BTW, receive within the 5 main bands for which internal filters are provided is really quite good, if you can deal with the lack of AGC. It is good to see Chinese manufacturers entering the market, and the X1M Pro is an innovative start. 73. Hal.

HB9FIH Rating: 3/5 Dec 1, 2014 03:59 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
one week ago received, then the audio filter too.
After adjusting IF OFSET tested.
Made some SSB QSO with 4W in Europe. All reports very ok. Good voice sound.
ONLY one thing: the incremental rotary has one position where contact is not clean. maybe poor quality of this encoder (this is one for audio). Replacement already found.

KF2AX Rating: 1/5 Nov 14, 2014 03:32 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Within 20 minutes of poweing up the radio, the display went dead. While the display was operational I made an SSB contact with a good report. With price in mind, there is no selectivity filter wise and quality control is apparently poor. Some people seem to get a "good one" and are happy for what it is. If it works and your expectations are realistic you may like this radio. For another couple of hundred dollars I bought a Flex 1500 to compliment my Yaesu FT817ND. The Flex & the 817ND are obviously not in the same class and cost twice as much than the X1M, but they will give you top notch performance and great build quality as well.

N7ISS Rating: 3/5 Aug 13, 2014 20:25 Send this review to a friend
OK But....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the x1m and an ft-817. Not fair to compare because they are worlds apart. If you think you need the 817, you should get it. If you are looking for a nice simple qrp rig with all bands and ssb, get the x1m. Build quality is a bit low. The push buttons on the front stick in and you have to push them just right. Output is a solid five watts and pretty good signal. If this is your main rig you will be disappointed, but for qrp its pretty good. I bought my 817 used for the same amount of money on ebay so........
N7ISS