Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | B & W AP-10A Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for B & W AP-10A Portable Antenna
B & W AP-10A Portable Antenna Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $89.
Description: Same as AP-10 but now with a single tapped loading coil instead of the set of changeable coils the AP-10 had.
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com/ap10a.htm

You can write your own review of the B & W AP-10A Portable Antenna.

AB7JK Rating: 2/5 Sep 27, 2003 09:31 Send this review to a friend
OK for QRP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Upon receiving it and testing it the antenna matched up well with a sloped dipole at 20M - about 1 S Unit down. Upon further use the hardward is clearly substandard. The set screws and and other hardware keep loosening - in fact the antenna comes apart in my hands each time I try to mount it. The clamp only fits certain shaped supports. The clamp part also comes loose and the antenna comes down often while transmitting which can be a disaster if you are running full power.

KL7WI Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2002 19:12 Send this review to a friend
It works...well!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a basement apartment, and my AP-10A is about 3 feet above ground level. Using an old IC730, and now my nice IC746 I've made contacts on 40-10 meters from Europe to South America and even Hawaii, all from central Michigan.

The only pain in the butt is (was) using the counterpoise wire. It is streatched out from the antenna, and the length varies depending on the band you select. Rerolling can cause a tangled mess. I made it easier by cutting the length to 10m and attaching a simple extension cord female plug onto the end of the counterpoise. Then I add the additional length of wire connected to a regular plug for the 12m band. I have different lengths of wire for each band between 10 and 40 meters. Now instead of measuring or unrolling, I just plug in the right length depending on the band I am working in about 2 seconds flat...much easier. CAUTION: I USED REGULAR PLUGS AND RECEPTICLES BECAUSE I HAD THEM ON HAND, BUT IF YOU HAVE KIDS AROUND THAT MIGHT TRY AND PLUG IN YOUR WIRE TO A HOT OUTLET...WELL ENOUGH SAID ON THAT. Anyway, I get pretty good swrs considering...normally 1.5-2.0:1 which isn't too bad for an antenna nearly at ground level. Sometimes I think that I transmit better than I receive though. Can't wait until I move from this apartment to a house where I can put up a simple dipole.....73's, Rich

W4WB Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2001 01:48 Send this review to a friend
Fine portable antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have enjoyed using the AP-10A on various trips. The coil has the proper 2:1 length to diameter ratio and the whip is stainless steel. I have no trouble packing it into my carry-on suitcase.

It is IMO useful to have an antenna analyzer along to place the fly lead on the coil for resonance and to adjust the length of the counterpoise for minimum SWR. I typically achieve SWR < 1.3:1.

I have compared it to the MP-1 and the AP-10A performed better and at about 1/2 the price.

The old question of "can you work DX with it" is often asked. Answer is of course, if the band is open. I have worked a number of stations worldwide with it and the FT-817 when conditions were favorable.

When I travel, I always carry my trusty Z-11 tuner and a good long length of #24 stranded wire for a long-wire antenna whenever possible (and use the AP-10A counterpoise with it). The long wire will simply outperform any little whip on TX and RX.

72 de Barry - W4WB

DF2DD Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2001 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Works well but made lousy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought an AP-10A in order to be QRV from the holidays and from my car while parking.

Ant itself works fb. Worked all over EU ... no DX 'cause propagation was bad when I tested the ant.

Worked mainly on 20mtrs wid gd SWR of 1.3:1 all over the band.

In my opinion the ant is made a little bit lousy.

All parts where wires etc. are soldered from the factory there was not enought tin on the cables. The "cable-shoes" where the wires are in are awful and of low quality. I changed all of them into "German made" material, hi.

The Fly-Attach points are not working properly; you have to find the right point of resonance by testing which is no problem.

The bracket is useless for EU, cause there are no windows contructed in that way that this ant fits. Sure for the US it is OK.

The clip on the bracket is very instabil.

Overall impression is OK for holidays ... ant works good but is not made with great care concerning material and soldering.

vy 73 de DF2DD ... Carsten ...

Http://www.df2dd.de

AA1UY Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2001 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Works surprisingly well !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
People are amazed at what this thing can do as opposed to what they would expect from a 5 foot long telescopic whip antenna. I can work into Europe with this thing which is pretty amazing considering I (have to) use it indoors (2nd floor) and at QRP power levels (CW *and* SSB). If nothing else, it proves that anyone can be on HF if the will is there; no excuses !

Construction is adequate although could be better for what you're paying for it. The window mount it comes with is not very versatile at all and could be much better with a little thought on the part of the manufacturer. All in all though, if you're antenna-challenged or want something light and easy to set up for portable/hotel operation, this fits the bill very well.

Tip - instead of using the sticky labels to mark off the appropriate counterpoise length for each band, use different colored indelible ink markers to mark the counterpoise instead (the stickers soon fall off; the ink won't).