Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC 7100
ICOM IC 7100 Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1600
Description: A new Mobile HF,VHF and UHF Tranceiver from ICOM,.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7100/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2014 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've added the IC-7100 to my shack mainly for VHF/UHF All Mode and DSTAR use but I have found it works really well on the HF bands as well, DSTAR included . Of course it's only a single band at a time but it does just about everything you could think of and works really well. The touch screen is easy to see in the shack and menus are easy to follow. I have not even had to open the manual for anything. I've been able to get the rig working on the digital side using the supplied USB cable and Ham Radio Deluxe version 6.2. The TX/RX audio sounds good and I get full power on all bands. The main unit cooling fan is quiet. The SD memory card slot is also a nice feature and you can record all your QSO's. I can understand some may be put off by the size/shape of the control head. It may not be practical for mobile use but in the shack it is a great little rig. It's small enough I will be taking it with me on my next camping trip and setting it for portable use/field day. My only gripe was the fact ICOM did not supply the CS-7100 cloning software with the rig. ICOM provides the cloning software with other rigs like the ICOM ID-5100a and ID-31A (which I also own) but not the 7100??? You will have to purchase it separately for a fee. The only other things this rig doesn't have that I would have liked to see was a second HF antenna port for a receive antenna and maybe a DTMF microphone. All in all the rig is a great performer and with the current cost it would make a new ham a great rig.

N6JSX Rating: 2/5 Jul 11, 2014 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Not for Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Control head and display maybe OK for base use but crap for mobile OPs, and it digressed to monochrome.

If you put the control head on the dash - how do you read the two rows of buttons (memorize them as you cannot see to read them) and what about finger-oil smearing on the touch display much less my fat finger tip that will not let me input - I had to use my pinky tip.

The angle of the display enhances windshield glare making it impossible to see when wearing sunglasses. At night the display is so bright even at the lowest settings it caused night driver blinding. And I do not want to turn up brightness every 'DAY; and turn it down every 'Night'! Dash mounting is out.

Mount it lower, on your console - where in modern vehicles and especially now that you must setup the display at a specific angle so you can see the display AND buttons while driving?!? Now since you moved it down to see it you must take your eyes off the road.

The display/controls was very poorly throughout for mobile OPs compared to their discontinued 7000 (which is far far better mobile radio).

One fault of the 7000 that I had hoped the 7100 would overcome --- in this day of USB-stick/dongle RX's.

The radio is still HF/VHF/UHF, but if you are actively playing HF you cannot scan/monitor VHF/UHF/NOAA or one of your memory banks. What it needs is an ACTIVE sub-RX(ONLY) to allow you to scan/monitor selected memory(s) or flip to Main when priority is detected.

I got a 7100 & dumped it as fast - I'll stay with my 5yr old 7000 (radio-wise they are the same except for the control head)!!!

PY7DJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2014 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Forget to SAY something  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SWR meter in VHF/UHF --> NOW the ICOM 7100 read SWR in 144 and 430mhz ..
the ICOM 7000 do not read SWR in this bands (IC-7000 aways show 1:1.0 and it is dangerous for PA when antennas are not match)

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant Design   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unlike some reviews here I wanted to own the 7100 at first glance. However I was more than a little skeptic about how good of HF radio it could be and how much RF might get into the radio and the transmit audio running legal limit and 450 ohm feeders coming all the way into my shack to the rear of my Palstar AT4K tuner. With the 2 piece design and the 12 ft cord tying them together it looked like a good source of trouble with r.f.

After HRO & others offered the IC7100 for under $1300 plus my renewed interest in the D-Star mode I had to finally try it.
1- my fear of stray R.F. Into the audio was unfounded. Running a full legal limit Alpha 8410 produced no stray R.F.
2- It is a good HF rig and I am comparing it to both a FTDX 5000D & Omni VII. It is even better IMO than my 746 Pro.
3- Reports I am getting say my transmit audio is very good using a SM6 Icom desk mic. In addition the stock mic is ok also.
4- Receive audio on all modes is super. Complaints about D-Star audio are unfounded. (D-star is digital and never will sound like FM but funny thing once you get a steady diet of D-star analog FM starts sounding weird)
5- D-Star In the 7100 is 3rd gen and a huge improvement in the regard of ease of programming and use. Having said that it is still troubling especially if the D-Star repeater you are using is not already programmed into the 7100 's data base.
6- cw is sweet with not only a built in keyer, but it is a memory keyer as well.
7- If you have ran a 756pro radio many of the features are the same in hf like multi meters on one screen like PO,Comp,S-meter,ALC, SWR, plus the 7100 screen included not only these but temp and dc amps giving you 7 meters at a glance. This radio just keeps surprising me at every turn.
8- I love the new touch screen and the head is extremely stable sitting on your desk top. It won't move and or tip and is a pleasure to use and easy to view and read.

In conclusion if you are interested in the 7100 go to YouTube where there are many video,s including a 45 minute one on Ham Nation comparing it to the Icom IC7000. After owning the radio for just a week+ now it seems like a winner! you get a great dc-daylight radio + D-Star for the same $ as many radios with less features and versatility. I hope my review will answer a few questions others might have with the concerns I addressed here. This is the real deal in a new brilliant design and package, don't let the size scare you away it performs beside my FTDX5000 surprising well.

G4RNI Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2014 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected but awful TX digital audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I avoided buying an IC-7100 like the plague. I detested its sloping front and separate head with no means of attaching it to the radio body. I had stated on a number of occasions that if Icom had built it into a proper sized box I'd have retired my FT-847 and replaced it with one if only for the 4 metre band (70 MHz).

At the recent LAMFEST 2014 (Barnsley UK) I played with a 7100 on the Icom UK stand. Well, seems I could live with the sloping head after all. It's steady enough and the touch screen is quite a breeze to learn. So, I bought one...

Practically, it's very usable although I feel a short CAT5 lead could have been included so as to avoid bunching up the standard 10 feet or so. Minor point as a 1 metre or shorter screened cable can be bought for around two pounds ($3).

The inbuilt speaker performs quite well despite being small and backwards-facing. The controls feel positive and the option to select indentation on the main tuning knob is good too.

Instead of the good points and there are very many, I'll look at some of the niggles I've found.

Tuning. In the UK we use 12.5/25kHz spacing on 2 metres & 70 cm but 10kHz on 6 and 10 metres FM. The 7100 can't store these offsets per band. You select either or the other and have to change with bands. I do wish some forward thinking manufacturer would include 2.5kHz as that would fit everything even if a tad slow on the qsy.

TX audio. What on earth is that tickety-tick all about? I find it quite annoying and I'm not the one listening to it. Perhaps it would be better if the mic (HM151) had more output to help mask this gremlin. It's not too bad with my SM-8 as that has more output and the 7100 mic gain can be turned down to around 25%. The more the mic gain setting, the louder the tickety tick.

Also TX audio. The supplied HM151 whilst being full of facilities, sounds bloody awful. Huffing and puffing like an old scrapman's horse! Boxy. Just plain nasty.

DSTAR....Point to point audio is horrible. It sounds like the audio is sent through a babbling brook complete with nearby waterfall gently trickling cool, clear mountain water into the stream. Seems everything digital ISN'T better.

Still playing with it, the 7100 is a capable radio but as I'd suspected before buying, a gimmicky wireless that's more concerned with completing a mission to turn a technical hobby of investigation into a touch-screen, plug n play pastime that will allow users to "DX" over the internet.

Will I keep it? For a while at the very least. It may even grow on me.

Would I recommend it? If you want to play computer radio it's a definite YES. If you like to transmit nice audio AVOID IT. If you couldn't care less how radio works but want to push a button and talk to the world GO FOR IT.

It's the radio world equivalent of a flight simulator.

N2UBP Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2014 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Great for portable use, more difficult for mobile operation  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Last week I took my 7100 on a short vacation trip. As a portable base in our rented cottage the physical format of the radio worked in my favor, allowing me to place the radio in a corner adjacent to where the coax entered the building and the control head in area easily accessible to the operator. Mobile operation would have been impossible. There was no place to put the radio or control head in a modern 4 door sedan containing 3 passengers and our cocker spaniel along with the baggage carried for a one week trip. If I took a bit more time I probably could have found a temp location for the radio, however the control head would not have found a reasonable location. I suspect other mobile hams have similar issues with mobile operations. ICOM could probably make some decent profit on offering an optional control head designed for mobile use that would be an easier fit for today's vehicles. they might even be able to modify the IC-7000 head to do the job, who knows. The 7100 did perform well from my portable QTH on Cape Cod, allowing me to join in with my rag chew group. - 73, Steve, N2UBP

ZS4N Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2014 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Noise on mic audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great rig used daily in shack, excellent tx audio with Heil GM-5 mic, just one note, a tip tip kind op digital noise on tx audio while using standard mic as well as Heil mike, but clear with Icom SM-6 mic, the noise is present even without mic by just ptt'ing the radio, on monitor as well as recordings, and reports received from other stations, any body else experience this glitch?

AD9Z Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I run mine mobile. It has a great receiver, noise blanker actually works, unlike some rigs out there! I've not experienced any touch screen problems at all, like others have mentioned here. I use mine, primarily on cw, some ssb. I use a little tarheel II for the antenna. It's a winner for me! :-)

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for a year now and I can truly say ICOM hit it out of the park with this one. It is simple to use if you read the instructions. I really like DV of HF. I have no complaints at all.

Mike, WM4RB

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 09:55 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
With regards the last review. I had a problem with the display on my first rig, Icom UK changed the rig for me and the new radio is 100% superb in every way.Don`t loose heart, they are a good rig and I believe the first batches did have some touch screen problems but it has all been sorted now.

Regards 2E0WPZ