Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC 7100
ICOM IC 7100 Reviews: 149 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1600
Description: A new Mobile HF,VHF and UHF Tranceiver from ICOM,.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7100/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

VE3LNU Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2018 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Warning - can't handle extreme cold!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a glowing review of this radio about 3 years ago, just after I purchased it. It has been a FABULOUS mobile radio, along with the remote control microphone that you can purchase as an option. Last month, after about 3 years of service, the radio died. I returned to my vehicle after a day's work to find that the display had lit up but with no information showing on the screen, and the radio was still powered off! It would not power on after that. My local dealer inspected the radio and reported that the "sub-CPU" appears to be damaged. They could not fix it. Icom Canada advised me that when there is CPU damage, they just replace the entire board at a cost of approximately $700. Since this is about half the purchase price I paid in Canadian dollars, I will not be fixing this radio. I have lost it after only 3 years of use!

Several of my ham friends are suggesting that the most likely cause of this failure was the extreme cold we experienced this past winter, with temperatures approaching minus 30 C at night. With the rig in the truck all the time, they surmise that the extremely dense surface-mount construction of the IC 7100 simply couldn't take the temperature extremes.

So I am throwing this out there for those of you who live in extremely cold environments: this may not be your best choice for a mobile radio!

Joe VE3LNU

G4VVQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2018 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Power goes off on TX  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Actually this belongs to a friend of mine, he says when he TX's after awhile the radio turns itself off, he has tried everything, Icom cant find anything wrong with it, i suggested high vswr or power supply under par, or dc lead...i dont think its the TOT as that would just take it back to RX, this actually goes off, i dont think he has the inactivity timer on, he is reluctant to do a full reset as it will delete all the D star settings, any one had this problem i wonder...seems like a radio internal fault to me..from Fred in England g4vvq.

KB3DBF Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2018 21:07 Send this review to a friend
I love this radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is likely one that will be appreciated more after it's out of production. Personally, I hope Icom continues to produce this radio for years to come and maybe even upgrade it soon with a color screen, although for me the monochrome display is fine as is. While some reviewers have bashed the form factor, I think it's brilliant and the main reason I bought it. I am no longer relegated to sitting at my shack desk to enjoy HF. With the remote control head I can sit on my sofa upstairs with the extension cable running to the radio box downstairs in the shack. Add HF/50/VHF/UHF/D-star and what's not to love? The sound quality from the speaker is great considering the small size. It is the versatility that makes this a great radio. The features and settings are very intuitive and I was able to start using this radio quickly.
I would not hesitate to recommend this radio for anyone looking for a versatile radio that takes up a small footprint with many flexible options for use. There is even an aftermarket company that allows you to go fully wireless with the control head, use it anywhere you have WiFi! Very cool!
I am considering buying a second one for use at my work QTH.

NF2W Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2017 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I settled in on this radio and now have three of them. By going with a single radio, it has made it much easier for my wife. She would rather be talking than learning yet another radio interface. So we have one in each car and one in the shack. This radio does it all. We can use one consistent radio interface to do voice and digital on HF or U/VHF. I've used the D-Star side more as my wife digs more the HF digital side. I only wish it came with the better hand mic for mobile (HM-151) and built in GPS.

Now for the only issue that I've had with any of the three. I have had issues of when the volume is all the way up that the radio would cut off in my car. Others have reported similar experiences. This problem didn't happen at the house, just my car (Wife's car just got installed this week). This issue has plagued me to the point of frustration. It turned out to be that, being a neat freak, I had coiled and zip tied the control head cable during the install. The shack radio just has the control head cable dropped behind the desk. After I cut the zip ties and uncoiled the control cable in the back seat the problem went away. Inductance I suppose.. All but about 2 feet of the control cable was coiled into a 10 inch circle and zip tied. Now I can turn the volume all the way up and it never shuts off mysteriously. Hope this helps in the future. I also want to say thanks to Steve (K1ZH) for helping while I was searching for an answer to this problem.

K4YRK Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2017 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Great radio but problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the 7100 and after a year of use the touch screen would not respond. Icom suggested a reset first. Can not find out how to do that without the touch screen working. Anyone have suggestions?

W2XAD Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2017 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Some things could be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why is it that they have it set up for gps but Icom did not build it in and/or does not offer their own gps unit? Radio is a great performer but for a couple hundred more I could have had 991a with the gps built in,a color screen and a built in antenna tuner.

N2EHG Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2017 09:53 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this radio for a while, love the fact that it uses just a simple cable(rj45) to connect the head. Also works great with the Icom remote software. Had this set up at my shack, and could remote in and work both HF and 2m/440 while traveling. NB and other noise reduction works great. Touch screen is nifty and easy to learn. Seemed pretty good RX and TX wise compared to my other rigs in my side by side comparisons.

AJ2I Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2017 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Good value for money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got one of these about year ago new when the were doing a great rebate promotion. I get 100w output on SSB with a Peak Hold Meter. I don't use D-Star but it does work fine. Use it as a mobile only radio at the moment and find is easy to adjust settings on the fly, buttons are convenient and easy to access band changes etc. Some say the form factor is weird, would have preferred a style like the 7000 myself, but it is what it is, the features and the Rx Audio etc outweigh the awkwardness. I think it has a better Rx on SSB then an 857d and the NR/NB works well.

KE8KW Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2017 20:57 Send this review to a friend
love/hate relationship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Like this radio a lot, but I dislike it's erratic behavior. Sometimes the radio does wierd stuff that requires me to do a 'partial reset' to get it to stop doing whatever it is. Most recently, my meter display was showing my output to be very low and it was not. Made a full qso with the meter showing that I was running about 10% out. BTW.. I have none of the issues with limited power output as mentioned by many reviewers. If it would just quit being periodically schizoid, I'd be a real happy mobiler. I think Icom made a mistake at not making the chassis a little bigger and including and onboard antenna tuner. Personally, in my situation, I would have much rather had that than all the D-star stuff.. I just don't get it.. AND, the nearest D-star machine to me is too far to hit from here. The only time I would have any use for D-star is on long road trips. I like the vhf/uhf component and had gotten me on both of those bands at least once in a while. Regarding HF, I use this radio with a Comet antenna that covers from 40 meters to the moon including 6 meters, so they're made for each other when paired with a diamond duplexer. Stay away from the comet duplexer tho.. too low power handling ability on uhf. I live in a mountainous region and for the past couple months, going up on one of the higher elevation roadways in the area that has a totally clear shot to Europe from the top. I work a late afternoon dx net from up there and get great reports. I find I can work most DX I can hear as long as the pileups aren't too big... then I'm screwed. Also have a Wolphi interface for data modes, but the software is quite lacking in my opinion. There's not a single good app in the android arena that does JT65. The ONLY one on the market at this time absolutely sucks. My one last statement on this radio has bugged me since day one... since before I bought the rig even when I'd see it in the shops. It just seems like the design staff said 'screw it, it's quitting time' when it came to the VFO knob. I've owned Icoms my entire ham radio career (32 years) and they have always hand nice well designed VFO knobs.. this one is a piece of crap wrapped in an even crappier piece of rubber.. what were they thinking?! Have fun, good luck and 73...

KE8KW

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2017 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Versatile, capable, loads of features  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over eighteen months playing with this capable, versatile IC-7100. Shack use, no mobile installation. Keeping up with the firmware updates, nice Icom continues to support this unique unit. Unique, I think, with a quick glance over to the Kenwood 480. Still being a happy IC-7000 op, though, it’s been fun to switch between the two rigs. Digital HF modes are easier with the IC-7100. I think the 2m sensitivity is better. I have plenty of desk space so putting the guts of the unit up on the shelf isn’t a necessity—however, it does reduce the eye-level cable spaghetti. It is attached to an Icom AH-4 tuner and an OCF dipole for HF, and this combo works well. No operational issues. No lock-ups glitches hiccups or stuck pixels. Like other radios I have, there’s a lingering hope to pair the IC-7100 up with a phenomenal external speaker—if I ever discover the perfect one. No hesitation to rate this affordable transceiver 5 stars.