Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC 7100
ICOM IC 7100 Reviews: 82 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1600
Description: A new Mobile HF,VHF and UHF Tranceiver from ICOM,.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7100/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 15:18 Send this review to a friend
A Winner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love ham gear and write a lot of reviews since I have owned many, many rigs. K3"s, KX3, FT3000, just to name a few. I'm a ham gear junky. My bench mark rig is a well aligned K2 with a wonderful receiver. I love the size and ergonomics of the 7100. It is awesome on cw. The dsp is very pleasant and the filtering and notch work great. The receiver is equal to my K2 and maybe a little better to my ears. The fan is very quiet when it does come on. The touch screen is the future of the new rigs to come. I love it. The control head is convenient to move around the desk. It has a solid stable feel. I listen to the aircraft band, 2 meters, local FM broadcast stations, dx on the AM broadcast band etc. This little box does it all. I was up and running without opening the manual and I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. I think the 7100 is a good value considering how technologically advanced it is. I would definitely buy it again without hesitation and I am the ultimate frugal ham!

KA8OCN Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2014 18:31 Send this review to a friend
I'm glad I purchased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this at Dayton 2014. I was just looking for a new toy. I found this and got it for the head, it is perfect on my desk. My shack is also my office and I do a lot of paperwork for work so I don't have room for a big rig down here on the desk. I love my IC-756 Pro III but I don't use it much because its on a shelf high and to the left and kills my neck to look at it. This little control head fits just perfect under my monitors.
I have used it on 3898 (local rag chews) and I received very good audio reports. I have used it on 2 meters and works fine, D-Star was EASY to set up (I have IC-2820 and its a great rig but the D-Star is a pain to set up without a computer)
I was looking at some other reviews and they say it has a internal soundcard, I have not figured that out yet (but I will). They only thing I found strange is they did not mark on the rig itself which antenna connector is for VHR/UHF and which one is for HF. I will have to put aq sticker on the rig. I have had a 706 and a 7000 and both were marked on the rig which antenna is which. Kind of a pain finding the manual just to figure out which antenna is which.

ICOM You have a winner here!

N2UBP Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2014 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Overall a decent transciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the 7100 for a little over a month. I have no complaints about the design of the radio. The touch screen works, it does a better job receiving weak stations on 10 meters than my 746Pro. D-Star works as designed. VHF/UHF repeaters are strong as expected. VHF simplex might be a bit weaker than expected with marginal stations. On HF with the stock hand microphone my 80 meter rag chew group say my audio is the best when I side talk the microphone an inch or two away from my mouth, mic gain set at 50 percent. I found the manual a bit confusing and lacking in the D-Star arena for novice D-Star users like myself. I paired the radio up with an LDG IT-100 auto tuner which meets my needs for voice but is only rated for 30 watts digital, so this may not be the solution for everyone. I like being able to connect to my PC with USB cable instead of CI-V. The built in sound card works well with Winlink RMS Express software. No problems with an older version of HRD with defaulst set to IC-7000. As always, ICOM overcharges for their branded accessories for all their radios, this is no exception to the rule. Many of the locals in my area are fond of comparing the 7100 to the 7000. Many are afraid of the touch screen and prefer the color screen of the 7000. They also feel the 7000 has better filtering than the 7100. I don't own a 7000 so can't make an honest comparison. The built in filtering of the 7100 does the job for me. It will take me a few more months before I learn the in's and out of this radio. The only thing I miss is a second antenna connection for base use, but hey, this is a mobile/portable rig right?

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 08:56 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AFTER THREE NITES OF PLAYING AND CHECKING OUT ALL MODES, I HAVE MASTERED THE RADIO. SLOWING DOWN AT 79 1/2 WITH BAD EYES.REALLY LIKE THE TOUCH SCREEN, 2 PREAMPS, SCOPE, CLOCK AND VOICE, JUST TO SAY A FEW ITEMS.LOT MORE I .HAVENT GREAT RADIO, ICOM

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Touchscreen is awesome!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tired of scrolling through menus for functions that used to be a button or knob on front of rig? This radio has touch screen that makes all of that soo much easier to access. I highly recommend looking at some YOUTUBE tutorials on this rig because a picture is worth a thousand words! Did you know D-Star works on HF? Well it does,and this rig will get you into the 21'st Century for sure!The remote face seemed a bit hokey at first,but now I'm sold because the only wire I need on desk is a Cat5 and microhone cable. Everything else is out of sight and not cluttering desk. I've had a number of Icom rigs and this is the best so far.

W6ER Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Great back-up radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the 7100 as my base radio while my 7800 was in for repair and firmware upgrade. Received great reports on HF. Still attempting to get it setup for D-Star.
I noticed that the HF would blank out after a few seconds of monitoring, on a regular basis. After trying different settings I discovered that with the WX activated I would get the Squelch but it went away after turning the WX OFF.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 08:43 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
STILL LEARNING. BECAUSE OF MY AGE AND EYE SIGHT, HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING FREQ IN TO THE MEMORY LIST, HELP!!!! CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE STEPS FOR PUTTING FREQ IN TO THE MEMORY LIST. KC7NYI@MSN.COM, KEN THANK U GOT 21 SO FAR BUT 4 HOURS OF HIT AND MISS. I DAY OLD. BOISE HAM FEST HRO

PA3UL Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2014 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Very nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to use, great receiver and lots of options.
Love this radio from the first minute I owned it.

Super....

VK3MEG Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2014 13:13 Send this review to a friend
a great value 2014 radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK i work alot of dx with 100 watts I wanted to get into uhf and vhf ssb. looked at a few rigs ft857,7000 and 7100. I also have an ic 7200 and ft 920.
All the other rigs were technolgy from 8-10 years ago a 7000 is like a 756 pro etc.
the 7100 is the latest the technology is jaw dropping. the touch screen is a great interface and very easy to adapt to. as for features this radio has plenty you need to get familiar with the radio then get into the functions menu and set it up properly. i find icom audio harsh not any more with the tone rx and tx settings buried in this rig. the receiver is hot 2 pre amps are great as is the band pass tuner etc.
form factor is better than imagined it sits on the desk really well and it so much better with slanted head unit.
working on 2 meter sbb the reports have been great driving it with a small RM amp longest contact with no troppo 600 klm with 10 element yagi. Do you want to live in the past or the future? this is the future. sad for the people who had teething issues but I find Icom stand behind their radio and look after their customers.

this is a shack in a box a great radio play with one you will be surprised. I'm very happy and given a bigger budget and the chance to repurchase I would go the same path.
I would prefer a head phone jack and key jack on the front of the head unit. but I can live with how it is.
hey the mini band scope is really good as well .
thanks for reading

IK4VFD Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 04:01 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 7100 for a few days, but I have to say that I immediately had a great feeling, easy to use, great receiver, tried hf, quiet fan (I have a certain sensitivity), the radio stays cool, very low absorption, qsk fantastic, a great purchase, please watch some videos I've done, I use the 7100 remote with remoterig and really works great
hello