Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC 7100
ICOM IC 7100 Reviews: 125 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1600
Description: A new Mobile HF,VHF and UHF Tranceiver from ICOM,.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7100/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

W4FBI Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK, some of the reviews poo-poo the display. OK, I agree that it isn't the best. However, the other aspects make up for it. This is a do-it-all (and more) transceiver. HF, VHF, UHF (all mode) AND Digital Voice (D-STAR). I never tried D-Star until this transceiver - Germany, UK, Australia: sound like they are in my driveway! Better than DMR, and 10X the repeaters. Bargain for less than $1K today.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ownership; 3 to 6 months

PRO's;
Filters; Good, a bit better than IC-7000, and with Receive Tone controls I am able to use 'soft' filters and still have treble and bass response, which allows me to avoid the harsh filter edge sound at the high frequency bandpass edge.
QRN & AGC: Radio does not seem to overreact to static crashes as some other Icom models have in the past.
FM Broadcast reception: Given just a 2M half-wave vertical, it beats any Ham Transceiver I've ever used. The preamp's impact is easy to discern on weak signals.
Tranmit audio; More adjustment flexibility than the 7000. No "in a barrel" sound when TX bandwidth is less than the full 100<>2900 Hz. I use 100<>2900 for rag-chew and 200-2900 for regular operating (Net check-in, running net control).
Mics; HM-198 is servicable with the available BW and tone adjustments, HM-151 still needs AB5N mod to sound best, but once mod'd works very well.
Display; Clear and easy to read. Went to Amazon and found that they had a vendor sell screen saver overlay specifically for the 7100, and
its been in place since the radio was 2 days young. Maybe someone will market tinted screen protectors so you can choose amber or green?
Heat; Low level fan on all the time, speed adjusts per temperature. Hmmm, after all that debate with IC-7000, users should take note, this radio has larger chassis / heat sink and much better cooling strategy than the stock IC-7000. Has handled every duty cycle in SSB & PSK31 in stride thus far.
Cons;
The manual never defines what is being measured by the ID metering. The voltage and current are shown as bar graphs and there is no numeric
readout mode available as with other radios. It's nice to have the graph but it doesn't give any 'real' readout.
The previous model (IC-7000) seems to have had a bit more SSB punch, seems that the 7100's DSP is not as effective at compressing to increase average modulation.
Ideas;
Filtering; an improvement here would be to incorporate the tone control adjustments on a per bandwidth basis (both Tx and Rx). As it stands,
one set of tone adjustments apply to all bandwidths.
MultiMeter; Add a feature so that a long depress and hold of 'MENU' or 'SET' brings up the multimeter display. (You can program the F1 or F2 key to do "Meter" and then when you press that HM151 key and hold, the multimeter will appear.)
Why two layers of menu for VSC? Push 'QUICK' and then just push VSC to alternate on/off. No need to 'drill down'. Also, if you're in the multi-meter screen,and go to Mic/Pwr, Menu, Set or Quick, why doesn't the software return to
the multimeter display when you exit that mode?
Memories; As inexpensive as memory has become, why don't the band stacking registers
remember everything (like preamp settings, AGC speed, filter...) Why don't the memory banks remember the last channel used per bank instead
of placing you in the same memory number for all banks?
Screen; Why not use multi color backlight LED's as others have, to allow setting the backlight color (amber might be great, I'll never know).

PA1CW Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2015 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic and compact radio  Time owned: months
I am using the 7100 for two years,
I like the compact size and all the HF, VHF and UHF bands.
With the external speaker he sounds great.
This one is a keeper in my shack.

73 Theo PA1CW

G0TIY Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2015 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very impressive i have owned the 706mk2g this is miles ahead of it ,i cant believe just how good this radio is for such a small radio.My Other radios are ts950sdx ts870 ts2000 .And now the IC7100 I'm proud to say .Its a keeper

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2015 02:43 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of the 7100, I`ve just been listening to two hams talking about how a shack in a box is not worth having. I`ve had this for a year now and it is my radio of choice to use in the shack because it is just so easy to use. The filters and passband tuning works just so well. I use the heil icM mic with it and get great reports. People complain because it hasn`t got a coloured screen and of course a coloured screen would get you out further :-)
BTW my other radios in the shack are, Yaesu ftdx5000mp, Icom 7200 and icom 756mk1.

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2015 09:34 Send this review to a friend
NICE RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SO FAR VERY PLEASED WITH RADIO RECEIVE AND POWER OUTPUT UP TO SPECS. WILL UP DATE MY REVIEW ON A LATTER DATE 73

KD6FAC Rating: 2/5 Nov 16, 2015 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Low average output power on HF SSB  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like this radio except for one glaring issue. It seems many of these radios (mine included) has low average output power on HF SSB. ICOM tech support acknowledges this and says that ICOM Japan is aware of it. No remedy was offered. I hope that ICOM will address this soon.

AA4MB Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for another 'DC to daylight' shack in a box rig to have and the specs looked decent on the 7100. For $995 and shipping it looked like a pretty good deal. After running it for two weeks, I'm more than just a little impressed.

As a K3 owner, I was prepared to not really use it a great deal for QSK, but the full break in is actually darned good. Some very quiet relay clicking from the main unit is all I hear. Reports on the other end say that it's as clean as a whistle, at least up to 30 wpm or so (as fast as I've run it yet). I'm somewhat old fashioned and don't really care for the ergonomics of the rig it replaced, the FT-897 (too many features that I use too often, buried too deep in the menu structure). The 7100 balances a darned sparse front panel on the control head with almost exactly the buttons that I need/want to have. The touch screen is amazingly intuitive, too - and I don't really think I'm missing out not having a color display, like some folks whine about. Each and every bandwidth that I need is also at my fingertips. Audio on SSB is reported as 'great' on the other end, too. It's hard to believe that the audio can sound as good as it does, coming from that tiny speaker in the control head, too - and I can't wait to plug in a 'real' speaker to see how it sounds.

Those of you that are concerned about the tilt of the display - let me put your fears at ease. It's plenty viewable from about any angle within reason - very high contrast. The control head isn't a cheaply thrown together piece of plastic, either. It's substantial enough that it doesn't move easily on the desk and it's not just a piece of steel in the bottom of it giving it a hefty feel. Like some other folks that use the rig, there are SO many features and bells and whistles that I have yet to use. Heck, there are features that are actually desirable to have that I discover almost every day. Oh - and about the user interface; I've only been in the manual three times in the past two weeks ... that says a lot, in my opinion.

At heart I'm a CW guy and as I implied before, I was prepared for not really liking it as an everyday rig for my purposes. I find myself gravitating to it more than the K3 right now, just from a usability standpoint. I think that the IC-7100 is the low to mid-range rig to beat now, from a price vs. performance standpoint. After paying just under a grand for it recently, I've been laughing myself silly seeing used rigs on Ebay - both older generation Icom and others - that don't have nearly the features going for more money than I paid for this gem ... and I've got a new purchase warranty to boot.

If you're straddling the fence, I'd say 'go for it.' I saw one fetching just under $50 less than I paid for the new one on Ebay last week. It was 'gently' used. It's a no-brainer from my perspective.

VE3MG Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this rig for over a month now and am really impressed with it's performance especially in the CW mode. Between the touch screen, buttons and knobs it's super easy to use. The only quirk I find is that the rig will shut down if the voltage drops below 12 Volts. So make sure that you use a big enough power supply. This has already been commented on.

W2JAF Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2015 06:02 Send this review to a friend
fine radio but powers off  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio works as advertised but has the annoying problem of shutting down with a strong signal present. In my experience it happens when tuning across a very strong CW signal and with the radio volume high. I haven't noticed it on SSB, RTTY or PSK. My main concern is that although the radio has always powered up again, sometime it may not!