Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC 7100
ICOM IC 7100 Reviews: 112 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1600
Description: A new Mobile HF,VHF and UHF Tranceiver from ICOM,.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

AI5Z Rating: 0/5 Jul 26, 2015 12:02 Send this review to a friend
BEWARE of the updates  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I made the "firmware" updates to my IC-7100 about a week ago. All went as advertised and no issues...UNTIL one week later.
After reconnecting the radio to the antenna and attempting to turn on, It will not come on.
Yes, I checked the connections and fuse to no avail.
I can't do the "reset" because it will not power on after the latest and greatest ICOM "firmware" update #4.

G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2015 06:37 Send this review to a friend
4M Finally - This is going to be very popular in Europe  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have plenty of other boxes but bought this as its the only tranceiver with 4M and thats all I use it on.
Particularly like -
- band stacking
- Touch display
- filters and noise reduction
- Sensitive on VHF - Measured it as .2uV for 12db S/N
Specifically dislike
- No sidetone on RTTY
- Power control by band not mode (Have to keep changing power levels between SSB and FM/FSK

All in al its a fun transciever to use, and does a lot for what it costs. I think the jury is out on the sloping display. Seems okay in the shack but not sure how useful for /M operation.
Would recommend/buy another. Hoping Icom will include 4M on one of their mobile FM trancievers in the future.

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2015 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Impression  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
K0OM Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2015 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Surprising little rig  Time owned: months
I have been using the rig since last December. Primarily using it on the vhf/uhf bands. I use my F5K as my primary HF rig. Recently I tried the 7100 on cw qsk just for sits and grins and was pleasantly surprised how well the qsk functioned. It is totally silent when in qsk mode. That inspired me to modify my ALS600 to work qsk according to the AD5X web site. Now I can do qsk with 500+ watts with only a slight noise from the transfer relay switching in the ALS600. Life is good.
NJ0F Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2015 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Great portable rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great features and it has a REAL VFO B, unlike the Yaesu DX-1200 that I sent back!
KA3PCX Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2015 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Watch That Power Supply!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is has its good points & some not so good points:
Good Points:
1.Excellent for Psk-31 & Cw
2. Selectivity is razor edge
3.Sensitivity better than most Yaesu,s (ft897d),(ft-857d). Except FTDX-1200.!
4.Menus easier to use than Yaesu,s
5.More portablity than ft-897d.
Not So Good Points:
1.Dont expect a 25 amp power supply to run the rig.It wasnt happy with mine! I went to a 45 amp supply. It will shut down if the voltage drops to much. This could be a problem if you are mobile.(That could be what is causing it to shut off on a mobile operation). I thought it was rf getting into the rig but it was a voltage drop.
2. SSB lower average output than Yaesu DX-1200.
This is with the hm-151 mike mod. You can still work dx but might have to call a little more to get it!
Summary: Would I buy it again? Yes if it remains on sale, but at the regular price, A little high!.
I hope this helps some of you ham out there!
M3BNN Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2015 13:41 Send this review to a friend
icom ic-7100  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi I have both the Icom IC-7100 and the Yaesu FT-991
The Icom IC-7100 has the edge over the Yaesu FT-991 I would give Icom 5/5 or 10 if I could and Yaesu 2/5

1: Icoms receiver is far the better 5/5
10: Icom digital modes so easy to setup & do 5/5
1: Yaesus receiver is a lot noisier 3/5
2: Yaesu fusion donít know as not in my area yet so can`t comment
3: Yaesu record is optional FH-2 4/5
4 Yaesu PC link up straight to usb port but yaesu has no hex address and yaesu say they won`t be putting address to the radio so it looks like there have not tried it out to see if there are any problems with it you have to mess about to get it to work it has a 2-4 second delay between radio & HRD software on pc DM-780 so when you are in a QSO in digital mode they will be a few second delay before tx 0/5
5: Yaesu ability to encoder decoder no but can send CW 1/5
6: yaesu ATU & Atas control 5/5
7: Yaesu touch screen great & in color 5/5
8: Yaesu menu system easy to use 5/5
9: Yaesu N/B it doesn't work that good I get a whining noise especially when you switch the roofing filters on between NAR/WIDE more so on NAR 0/5
10: Yaesu digital modes not that good as you have the delay between radio & pc 0/5
So overall I would give Icom IC-7100 5/5 & Yaesu FT-991 2/5
And this is my second Yaesu FT-991 Iíve had the first one was 20/3/2015 went back 4 days after would not power up so told them about that and a few others things and said I wonít a new one 4 weeks later I get the radio back but the same one radio not happy about that but power switch is ok now but the other problems had not been done so itís going back again
If Icom makes a mark 2 of this radio they should do it a bit bigger and fit an ATU into it & make it with a color screen
Best 73`s
W2TXB Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 17:49 Send this review to a friend
I Love This Radio (aka, color displays are overrated)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First, this is not my primary HF radio (my primary is a Flex), but I have used it on HF with fantastic reports and excellent results on all modes. My main reason for buying the '7100 was to have D-STAR on 2M & 450 mHz at home, as well as 6-M (mostly FM). It replaced a Yaesu FT-8900R, which I also liked a lot. I read some reviews from people who criticized the angled "alarm clock" display, but found the display very responsive and effective. The stock microphone works great... might not even need the "Nagy upgrade/mod" (if one were available). The receiver is a bit better than the IC-7000, and the menus are easy to learn and use. I think well enough of this radio that I am considering replacing my mobile radio with another one of these. It will cost four times what I would sell my mobile unit for, but for me and my needs, it would be money well spent.
WB4L Rating: 2/5 Mar 7, 2015 10:11 Send this review to a friend
IC-7100 suddenly powers off  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had 2 new IC-7100 rigs,(first defective rig was returned/replaced) both sometime suddenly power off when a loud signal or heterodyne comes on the air and the volume is set between 12 o'clock and max (happens more often when volume is closer to max). At lower volume levels this does not seem to occur. I have spoken to Rick and Fred at Icom Service and have shipped rig #2 back to them. I don't have too much confidence that this defect can be easily fixed. I purchased both radios in Nov. 2014, returning the first defective radio for the current radio. after two weeks.
A friend, who purchased 2 of the radios about a year apart, has the SAME issue with the later purchased unit.He has shipped the defective radio back as well. I wonder if some component was replaced with one from a different supplier on newer radios.
I'm sure others are having this problem.
FYI: The radios are connected directly to the car battery in both cases.
If you, or anyone you know of, is having that problem,please let me know and your thoughts about the issue.
IZ5MJQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Absolute RADIO!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Throughout my career I have had many ham transceivers multiband ICOM, in particular the whole series from the old 703, 706, up to the 7000.
I also had several transceivers Icom HF pure, just to mention the ones that I remember at this time IC-781, IC-775, IC-765, IC-761, IC751A, IC-756, IC-756 ProII, IC-756 ProIII , IC-746, IC7400 etc. ..
When I purchased the 7100 I thought it would be simply treated of an IC-7000 includes D-Star and the remote head in B / N ...
What a mistake!
The 7100 is one of the best multi-band I've got to try, better than the Kenwood TS-2000 and the Yaesu ft-847!
The pure performance in HF are also superior to those of all devices HF pure midrange market.
To have a comparison about the 'listening device, you should refer to the IC-756 ProIII or the Yaesu FT-2000 devices with which no known differences during the' listening compared to 7100 connected to the same antenna.
It 'just incredible what ICOM engineers have managed to do with this little radio!
Surely it is widely criticized as remote head that can not in any way make a single body with the 'main unit and also the choice of display B / N does not seem very happy, as a day d' today there are excellent in color touchscreen ridiculous prices, just think of the ones installed on smartphones ...Connectivity with the PC is a snap, just download the relevant drivers and connect a USB cable, you have total control including audio input and output.
Really a great thing for those who work in digital.
Are very many possibilities and customizations possible with this transceiver, my advice is to study well the operations manual; if you are not able to know how to use such a device, then it is useless to give a negative opinion.
For example, the NR function is very useful and actually allows for an improvement of different listening situations, however, an incorrect setting can also lead to have a poor performance, so attention ...
My advice is that if you are with your head always stop to the old design of the transceiver device, simply the ICOM IC-7100 is not for you.
But if you have some familiarity with the equipment from the TS-2000, IC-7100 quickly replace all other old chests that you have on your desk.