Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC 7100
ICOM IC 7100 Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1600
Description: A new Mobile HF,VHF and UHF Tranceiver from ICOM,.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7100/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for a year now and I can truly say ICOM hit it out of the park with this one. It is simple to use if you read the instructions. I really like DV of HF. I have no complaints at all.

Mike, WM4RB

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 09:55 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
With regards the last review. I had a problem with the display on my first rig, Icom UK changed the rig for me and the new radio is 100% superb in every way.Don`t loose heart, they are a good rig and I believe the first batches did have some touch screen problems but it has all been sorted now.

Regards 2E0WPZ

KE4AMQ Rating: 1/5 May 22, 2014 09:16 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have had this rig for a week now, the display wont respond to anything I do to it. called icom and they act like they never heard of this problem. the price they charge they should be more helpful then that i know 5 or 6 people that also have the same radio and they are nothing but problems....icom brand what a mistake....baofeng needs to make a hf rig

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 15:18 Send this review to a friend
A Winner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love ham gear and write a lot of reviews since I have owned many, many rigs. K3"s, KX3, FT3000, just to name a few. I'm a ham gear junky. My bench mark rig is a well aligned K2 with a wonderful receiver. I love the size and ergonomics of the 7100. It is awesome on cw. The dsp is very pleasant and the filtering and notch work great. The receiver is equal to my K2 and maybe a little better to my ears. The fan is very quiet when it does come on. The touch screen is the future of the new rigs to come. I love it. The control head is convenient to move around the desk. It has a solid stable feel. I listen to the aircraft band, 2 meters, local FM broadcast stations, dx on the AM broadcast band etc. This little box does it all. I was up and running without opening the manual and I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. I think the 7100 is a good value considering how technologically advanced it is. I would definitely buy it again without hesitation and I am the ultimate frugal ham!

KA8OCN Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2014 18:31 Send this review to a friend
I'm glad I purchased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this at Dayton 2014. I was just looking for a new toy. I found this and got it for the head, it is perfect on my desk. My shack is also my office and I do a lot of paperwork for work so I don't have room for a big rig down here on the desk. I love my IC-756 Pro III but I don't use it much because its on a shelf high and to the left and kills my neck to look at it. This little control head fits just perfect under my monitors.
I have used it on 3898 (local rag chews) and I received very good audio reports. I have used it on 2 meters and works fine, D-Star was EASY to set up (I have IC-2820 and its a great rig but the D-Star is a pain to set up without a computer)
I was looking at some other reviews and they say it has a internal soundcard, I have not figured that out yet (but I will). They only thing I found strange is they did not mark on the rig itself which antenna connector is for VHR/UHF and which one is for HF. I will have to put aq sticker on the rig. I have had a 706 and a 7000 and both were marked on the rig which antenna is which. Kind of a pain finding the manual just to figure out which antenna is which.

ICOM You have a winner here!

N2UBP Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2014 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Overall a decent transciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the 7100 for a little over a month. I have no complaints about the design of the radio. The touch screen works, it does a better job receiving weak stations on 10 meters than my 746Pro. D-Star works as designed. VHF/UHF repeaters are strong as expected. VHF simplex might be a bit weaker than expected with marginal stations. On HF with the stock hand microphone my 80 meter rag chew group say my audio is the best when I side talk the microphone an inch or two away from my mouth, mic gain set at 50 percent. I found the manual a bit confusing and lacking in the D-Star arena for novice D-Star users like myself. I paired the radio up with an LDG IT-100 auto tuner which meets my needs for voice but is only rated for 30 watts digital, so this may not be the solution for everyone. I like being able to connect to my PC with USB cable instead of CI-V. The built in sound card works well with Winlink RMS Express software. No problems with an older version of HRD with defaulst set to IC-7000. As always, ICOM overcharges for their branded accessories for all their radios, this is no exception to the rule. Many of the locals in my area are fond of comparing the 7100 to the 7000. Many are afraid of the touch screen and prefer the color screen of the 7000. They also feel the 7000 has better filtering than the 7100. I don't own a 7000 so can't make an honest comparison. The built in filtering of the 7100 does the job for me. It will take me a few more months before I learn the in's and out of this radio. The only thing I miss is a second antenna connection for base use, but hey, this is a mobile/portable rig right?

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 08:56 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AFTER THREE NITES OF PLAYING AND CHECKING OUT ALL MODES, I HAVE MASTERED THE RADIO. SLOWING DOWN AT 79 1/2 WITH BAD EYES.REALLY LIKE THE TOUCH SCREEN, 2 PREAMPS, SCOPE, CLOCK AND VOICE, JUST TO SAY A FEW ITEMS.LOT MORE I .HAVENT GREAT RADIO, ICOM

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Touchscreen is awesome!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tired of scrolling through menus for functions that used to be a button or knob on front of rig? This radio has touch screen that makes all of that soo much easier to access. I highly recommend looking at some YOUTUBE tutorials on this rig because a picture is worth a thousand words! Did you know D-Star works on HF? Well it does,and this rig will get you into the 21'st Century for sure!The remote face seemed a bit hokey at first,but now I'm sold because the only wire I need on desk is a Cat5 and microhone cable. Everything else is out of sight and not cluttering desk. I've had a number of Icom rigs and this is the best so far.

W6ER Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Great back-up radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the 7100 as my base radio while my 7800 was in for repair and firmware upgrade. Received great reports on HF. Still attempting to get it setup for D-Star.
I noticed that the HF would blank out after a few seconds of monitoring, on a regular basis. After trying different settings I discovered that with the WX activated I would get the Squelch but it went away after turning the WX OFF.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 08:43 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
STILL LEARNING. BECAUSE OF MY AGE AND EYE SIGHT, HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING FREQ IN TO THE MEMORY LIST, HELP!!!! CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE STEPS FOR PUTTING FREQ IN TO THE MEMORY LIST. KC7NYI@MSN.COM, KEN THANK U GOT 21 SO FAR BUT 4 HOURS OF HIT AND MISS. I DAY OLD. BOISE HAM FEST HRO