Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | MFJ-414 DELUXE CLASSROOM MORSE CODE TUTOR Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-414 DELUXE CLASSROOM MORSE CODE TUTOR
MFJ-414 DELUXE CLASSROOM MORSE CODE TUTOR Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $219.95
Description: For VECs, elmers, teachers, ham clubs, schools and hams who want the best. Has everything in the famous MFJ-418 Pocket Size Morse Code Tutor plus . . . Hear powerful classroom audio from its built-in speaker/amplifier with true sinewave sidetone and no harsh keyclicks. . . Down/upload custom practice groups from PC with serial port ... Store 16 FCC exams for VECs.... Print correct answers using printer port... Record quality code tapes with tape output... Send on-the-air CW practice with HF/VHF radio interface... Use full featured memory keyer with 1000 character memory. Serial port and open end HT cables included.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-414

You can write your own review of the MFJ-414 DELUXE CLASSROOM MORSE CODE TUTOR.

WA2ASB Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2013 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Large functional classroom tutor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm kind of surprised that no one has reviewed this before because apparently the product has been around for a while.

What impressed me most was the manual that came with it. Unlike most MFJ products that I've bought over the years, the manual was quite large and full of details.

The product allows you to set it up in either iambic A or B modes, which came as a bit of a surprise to me.

My hearing not being what it used to be, I have no problem using it without my hearing aids.

It has an input/output for 9-pin serial cable, which is included. It also has a printer output, but this is with the old style printer connection.

The reason I wouldn't give it a 5 rating is because it has not been updated to use USB connectors. I have a couple of desktop computers and they don't have serial ports. Fortunately, Tiger Direct does carry a serial to USB "cable".

Why the quotes on "cable"? It is because the connector has a chip in it and it comes with a CD containing a driver for Windows and the Redhat version of Linux.

The other negative is that the display is a bit difficult to read unless you get at the proper angle.

What I found the most valuable feature for me was when practicing with a new paddle I found out how poorly my sending was by watching the characters scroll by. It sounded alright to my ear, but I was running characters together without the proper spacing, which was noticable by viewing the screen. I obviously need more practice before using a keyer on the air. (In the meantime I'll stick to the old straight key).