Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | DX Engineering DXE-8X Coaxial Cable Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering DXE-8X Coaxial Cable
DX Engineering DXE-8X Coaxial Cable Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $0.31 per foot
Description: DX Engineering RG-8X 50 ohm bulk coaxial cable is a low-loss, foam-dielectric, braided shield cable intended for moderate-power HF stations or mobile applications where short runs and flexibility are key factors. Slightly larger than RG-58 cable, DX Engineering RG-8X offers better handling characteristics, good shielding, and low loss. RG-8X uses PL-259 connectors with reducing adapters (sold separately).
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-8x

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering DXE-8X Coaxial Cable.

N7SCC Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Cable to upgrade your Station!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having been buying for upgrading my Station from DX Engineering for over a year; just now starting to upgrade my Station coax. RGU-8X coax from DX Engineering is the best I've used/worked with. If, your HF Station is low to medium power this Coax is the best! DX Engineering is the best shipper I've worked with and has VERY reasonable shipping costs. .38 cents per foot now for 8X coax... but-- still a great deal. My previous Coax is ten years old and with some problems-- so, I'm changing over to DX Engineering. Also RGU-213 is available. Shipping time and Shipping costs are really great-fast and free shipping over 99.00 dollars!

N8OX Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2013 05:52 Send this review to a friend
RG-8X as Antenna Material  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A couple of months ago I heard this station booming in at S9/40+ on our Air Force MARS net. I asked his working conditions and he told me was running 400W into a W5GI Mystery Antenna. I'd never heard of a Mystery antenna, so, I went into research mode. It looked simple enough to build and was about 3 feet shorter than my G5RV. It did have mixed reviews but several indicated they performed better than the G5RV, especially at 14MHz and above. I ordered enough RG-8X from DX Engineering to build three of these antennas. It's not that I needed three; I'd planned on giving one to one of my co-workers, Eli/KB7EHL, who recently got into Ham radio and have another as a spare and be able to take it on the road. I placed my order on line and couldn't believe how quickly it was delivered!!! DX Engineering gets A+++++ on shipping and ship time. I found their RG-8X very easy to work with, especially in the construction of the W5GI antenna. I built two of the antennas over one weekend. You can easily, once you have all your materials, put one of these together in an hour. I took more time and was working at getting the measurements as precise as I could. I had both the G5RV and W5GI up at the same time, oriented in the same direction. I got mixed signal reports... Some replied the G5RV was slightly better. Other stations reported the W5GI was better. After two weeks of testing and comparing, I decided to take down the G5RV and make the W5GI my primary antenna.

The next project I took on was to clean and install my HF-6V vertical. The last time this antenna had been used was in 2000 in Korea. I was able to disassemble, clean, re-assemble, and roughly tune the antenna in 3 hours. I did the same for an ARX-2B I had. Since I was feeding both of these with older coax, I decided to replace it with DX Engineering RG-8X. I placed another order with DX Engineering and the shipping was spot on again!!! Attaching PL-259 connectors was an easy task. The DX Engineering RG-8X was very easy to work with. I do have a tuning issue with the HF-6V (found no resonant point on 20M and the 30M resonant point is about 120kHz out of band) but I'm working those. As for 80M-40M-15M-10M, my highest SWR at resonance is 1.04:1. My SWR for the 15M band is 1.75:1 well outside of the band on both ends (about 750kHz). On 10M I have a SWR of 1.6:1 or less (1.0:1 for a lot of the band) from 27.900MHz to 29.900MHz.

All I can say is the RG-8X coax is great!!! Easy to work with and does a superb job as antenna material or feed line. It was also the best price I could find on-line and all DX Engineering coax is currently shipped at no additional cost. Excellent product!!!

DX Engineering... Damn eXcellent Engineering. Keep doing what you're doing!!!

Hoppy
N8OX

WB9GKZ Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Great For Jumpers  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This Spring I decided to replace all of the short jumpers inside the shack connecting amplifier, rigs, SWR meter, etc. I opted to buy the RG-8X from DXE, great choice!

The cable is affordable. My jumpers, ranging from three to ten feet are solid, no more annoying intermittents. I bought some good Teflon silver-plated connectors from DXE with the appropriate reducers. I soldered the shield of the cable to the connectors - a breeze when using a large 100-watt iron.

In short, the cable is great to work. The jacket is not stiff like some others, it is flexible enough to allow easy cable routing. RG-8X is the perfect cable size to use with jumpers. DXE is the perfect company to deal with. Ordering from them is easy and quick.

W4PAH Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 10:13 Send this review to a friend
nothing but solid performance from DXE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This spring I was focusing on improving my station. Part of those improvements included adding some RF chokes to help reduce noise on the lower bands (160m, 80m, 40m) and adding an amplifier I had picked up over the winter to my station. I took advantage of DX Engineering's free shipping on all coax cable products to pick up an adequate length of their RG-8X cable (which they call DXE-8X). I chose DXE-8X over other similar cables because of the DX Engineering brand name as well as the quality I have come to expect from this company. Also, the price was right (at $0.31/foot).

The DXE-8X is easy to work with and allowed me to build a few RF chokes on stacked 2.4" toroid cores (mix 31) as well as a new feed line from my amplifier to my tuner. The center conductors and shield take solder well, and making the connection to PL-259s is a breeze. I'm very pleased with the final results. Don't hesitate to pick up some of this cable--and don't forget the FREE SHIPPING!