Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | MFJ Headphones Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ Headphones
MFJ Headphones Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: 16 ohm, 100-24000 Hz, mono or stereo,8 oz, 9 ft cord
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-392

You can write your own review of the MFJ Headphones.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 13:49 Send this review to a friend
They work just fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the 392B headphones for several months now. Thought I'd buy a "cheap" pair (twenty some odd dollars) to see if they'd work. They are actually pretty good and perform better than I expected. I've used them with all my radios, just to see how they performed and I am satisfied. Yeah, you can spend a lot more money but for the price, they just work. Several of my radios have speakers that, well, leave something to be desired; with the phone plugged in the sound is much improved. I've even used them with my QRP kit stuff (SWL, Cubs) and they do well there too.

KC8Y Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2010 14:28 Send this review to a friend
OK by me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 392B headphones...bought about 3-months ago...use them with my ham radio (IC-736 xcvr) and my scanner...I do like the individual volume controls on each ear.

BUT, I agree with the comment about the material covering the soft ear pads...Because my h-phones are still very new, haven't had "gets kinda brittle and begins to flake off after a couple years."

All-in-all, for the price, they're the best I've found around

AF3Y Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2009 17:17 Send this review to a friend
I LIKE em!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Headphones are probably the most "personal" item in your shack, except maybe for your key/paddles. I really like the MFJ 392-B phones. I like the individual volume controls for each ear, I like the lightweight, yet snug fit.

I dont like the fact that the material covering the really nice soft earpads, apparently gets kinda brittle and begins to flake off after a couple years. But - for $25, it's no biggie. I am ordering another pair tonight. For the money, the best I have found, and I have four different sets of phones. The other three are either too heavy, or just dont feel good, or whatever. My vote is for the MFJ. Now, if they ONLY could make the earpiece covers a bit better... hi hi

NI0C Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2008 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Meet my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Heil $100.00 Quiet phone headset completely fell apart and became unusable after only a couple of years.

For only $25.00 from AES, I replaced them with the MFJ-392B. I'm a lowband Dx'er always listening for signals at or near the noise level, so my headset is very important to me. (I never use a speaker!) I thought I'd give these a try since the price was right. I like them very much!

I especially like the individual volume controls (I guess they're more accurately described as adjustable attenuators), since I hear better with the left ear. For the first time in a long time, I'm not mashing my headphones to my ears to hear better.

I also like the long, lightweight cord on these phones. The Heil headset had a shorter cord that was burdened by the essentially useless (for me, anyway) active noise reduction circuit and battery. Now I can stand up and stretch without removing my headset, while the MFJ set fits snugly around my ears providing adequate ambient noise reduction.

I'll handle these phones with care, based on the problems others have described; maybe I'll even order a spare set or two. I could buy four of them for what I paid for the Heil headset.

W7SPK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 04:54 Send this review to a friend
392b ROCKS!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the third pair I've owned. Wore the first one out, stepped on the second one (daughter left it on the floor), currently using the third.

They're sold as "Shortwave listening headphones" but work awesome for anything else. I use mine on my computer when playing online games, with the CD player when doing my code practice tapes, listening to my iPod, and of course on my HF rig.

For $20 they are the best!

I drive semi truck for a living and am starting to have hearing problems in my right ear. I can adjust the volume in one ear on the headphones to balance it out. That alone is worth the 20 bucks.

Sean Kelly W7SPK

K8RBW Rating: 3/5 Jun 8, 2007 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Ditto  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had exactly the same experience as KN4LF. Mine, too, were destroyed after a careful attempt at repairing them. I am still finding the flaking from the head cushions when they aged. The were OK when they were working.

Dick
K8RBW

KN4LF Rating: 3/5 Jun 8, 2007 10:10 Send this review to a friend
392B Helps With Hearing Loss  Time owned: more than 12 months
My age is 50 and I have high frequency hearing loss related to my time served in the U.S. military. The upper frequency range of the headphones is 24000 hz and that fact really assisted me in hearing voice communication better. I also liked the fact that each speaker could be adjusted independently of the other.

I owned three sets of the 392B's in recent years and that in itself is indicitive of the down side of the headphones, poor construction quality. Each of the headphones developed an intermittent connection of the left side speaker. Repair was impossible as when it is disassembled it is destroyed! Also with time the material that coats the headphones dries out and flakes off.

I would rate the performance as a 5 and quality of construction a 1.

I replaced the 392B with a set of Sony MDR-DC180 headphones. They only go up to 20000 hz but are constructed much better and are more comfortable.

KN4LF Rating: 3/5 Jun 8, 2007 10:08 Send this review to a friend
392B Helps With Hearing Loss  Time owned: more than 12 months

I would rate the performance as a 5 and quality of construction a 1.

K7MDM Rating: 1/5 Mar 20, 2007 10:07 Send this review to a friend
392-B series  Time owned: more than 12 months
Audio is o.k., quality is not. Ear cups are way to small and sit on top of the ear, not around the ear. The synthetic leather has deteriorated and flakes off every time they are used. Relegated to the "Only if all else fails" pile.

W0DKM Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2005 12:32 Send this review to a friend
$20.00 and work great  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the money, these are great phones. I have used for 1 year without a problem. They must have changed design over the last 2 years. The older reviews blasted them badly. And I can't blieve they are talking about the Phones I have. Very light weight for a full sized phone. The last ones I had were made in the 60s or 70s, very heavy.