Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | MFJ Headphones Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ Headphones
MFJ Headphones Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: 16 ohm, 100-24000 Hz, mono or stereo,8 oz, 9 ft cord
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-392

You can write your own review of the MFJ Headphones.

KB1KFO Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2005 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had these headphones for about 2 years now, and I'm very happy with them. Actually this is my second pair. The dog ate the first pair, and I ordered another pair the next day. I only use them for CW, but I find them very comfortable for extended use, and the sound is fine. For $20, you don't get real upset when the dog uses them!

W8KQE Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2004 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
$20 for a pair of BASIC headphones with tone controls is a good deal, providing they work OK. These do, fortunately, and considering the price, I have no complaints. I don't use headphones often, but having these for those times where I need to operate 'quiet CW' in the house is great. Obviously, if you use headphones a lot, i'm sure there are more 'high end' units on the market. But for many hams, these fill a niche inexpensively and effectively.

W6GDK Rating: 2/5 May 3, 2004 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Uncomfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I kick myself for not reading the reviews first. bought these on impulse at HRO and as soon as I put them on, I knew they would be trouble. They remind me of the new breed of Acitve Noise Reduction headphones from Bose, Panasonic, Sony etc. They all are guilty of undersizing the padded cups. I guess they designed them for small children. The pads press againt the ear instead of surrounding the ear, and become quite painful within 15 minutes. I bought them for a club shack and we usually are only on 15 minutes or so, so they will be tolerable.

KD5MDO Rating: 2/5 Aug 12, 2003 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Uncomfortable!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My main problem with these headphones are that they are very tight fitting and cannot be adjusted out. The longer you wear them, the tighter they seem to become and I find them unsuitable for long operating periods. As mentioned in other reviews, the cords come from each earpiece and meet at about chest level and are spaghetti thin and tangle easily. On the plus side, I like the individual volume controls on each side. I ended up replacing the MFJ headsets with a set from Radio Shack and only use the MFJ's as a back-up set now.

W2EJG Rating: 2/5 May 27, 2003 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Doable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought MFJ-392 at a hamfest for $ 10. Sent an e-mail to MFJ complaining about mono response only. No reply. Before I dumped them, I went to RatShack and bought 274-348 Stereo/Mono adapter. For $ 2.99 solved the problem. Lightweight, individually controllable. OK for Field Day.

W7CO Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2003 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got them to replace the walkman style I was using. So far the audio is just fine. Fit is confortable. I turned them all the way to max and use the audio control on the radio. The cord is a little long for me and a little on the flemsy (sp). I suspect that will be the first part to fail. Nice thing is that if they go in first year the warranty will take care of the problem. Besides $20 isn't all that bad. You get what you pay for.

WB2LBQ Rating: 1/5 Dec 6, 2002 11:24 Send this review to a friend
save your money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Right phone stopped working after 2 weeks, Headphones died after a month.

GARBAGE

KB4BJM Rating: 0/5 Nov 28, 2002 00:23 Send this review to a friend
P.U these stink  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave mine to a bum on the street to keep his ears warm.....

W2EJG Rating: 1/5 Oct 29, 2002 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Big Mistake  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought them at a hamfest for comfort and individual controls. Unfortunately, although billed as "Communication headphones" they are for Walkman stereos, not communications. When plugged in to my Omni VI, only the left ear is powered. In fact the "Gold plated" adapter plug is mono only.
Save your money...

N3DQU Rating: 2/5 Feb 23, 2002 02:15 Send this review to a friend
eh!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the MFJ headphones hoping to improve on my old Telex SWL-610 cans, but was not very impressed. The linecords drop down from each earphone and meet in the chest area, so you are always fighting with the cord on your way to the radio controls. The tension on the earpieces were too tight for my liking and not very adjustable. I wear glasses and the pressure on the ears became very uncomfortable after a couple hours of operating. The padding while pretty good at keeping the noise out made my ears sweat, and the volume and bass controls seemed to be more for listening to music than communications and were pretty useless for cw work. I ended up giving the MFJ's to my kid for his mp3 player and went back to my old Telex. Guess some things you just can't improve on.