Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Ultra Beam Yagi 3 el 6-20m Help

Reviews Summary for Ultra Beam Yagi 3 el 6-20m
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $2000 Euro
Description: 3 element Dynamic Antenna, 5m Boom, 28kg, 3KW
More info: http://www.ultrabeam.it

You can write your own review of the Ultra Beam Yagi 3 el 6-20m.

M0BZH Rating: 1/5 Jan 28, 2016 09:39 Send this review to a friend
UB20-MX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being a licensed radio amateur for a number years I thought it was time to upgrade my 12 year old hex beam antenna for something considered to be an upgrade in performance. After many hours spent researching antennas I came to the decision to procure an Ultra-beam UB20 MX antenna system at great expense.
Firstly I would like everyone to fully understand that this review is purely based upon my own personnel experience in reference to the antennas quality, performance and especially the level support given in trying to get this dynamic antenna system working from new.
One would assume that a certain level of competence would be required to build and install this antenna to which I consider myself to have. When all said and done this is merely a plug and play antenna system. However please be aware that should things go wrong then a much greater level of competency in trouble shooting will be required before any assistance is undertaken by the antenna manufacturer. These unfortunately read like the proverbial war & peace epic which would certainly put many amateurs off, so please be warned.
The UB20 MX antenna was returned after just over 9 weeks in lieu of a full refund from the dealer due to its very poor performance on 20m & 17M bands plus three major component failures. The failed components included a main control unit, control cable and lastly the reflector motor which failed mechanically.
Having any of the components repaired under warranty is not that simple and may turn out to be quite a costly and timely experience which I can certainly vouch for. I personally feel the quality and potential durability of this antenna system leaves a lot to be desired. This antenna model is advertised as a 2 element yagi moxon on 17/20m with an advertised FB of 25 to 30dB. This performed just like a glorified dipole i.e. no FB ratio whatsoever therefore definitely not a moxon antenna. I can however confirm that the antenna did work quite well on 15m to 6m as per the advertised forward gain and FB figures.
I can only conclude that my own experience with UB was not a good one which some may say was purely my own bad luck. Therefore I wish anyone buying this particular model all the luck in the world and hope you donít suffer the same experience as me. One last thing is a suggestion to the manufacturer to either revisit the antennas moxon design or revise the misleading advertised moxon design and its performance figures on the 20/17m bands.
Therefore my aggregate score based upon the antennas quality, performance and the level of aftersales support given by UB is unfortunately 1/5.
Regards
M0BZH

DJ7ZZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now 2 years later ( I wrote the first Review under my old Call DL7PP ) I am still satisfied. No mechanic or electric problems. No maintenance in the past two years. The last strong storm with a wind speed of abt 80mls was no problem for the Ultrabeam.
Do I need more?