Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Mega-Watt S-350-12 Power Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Mega-Watt S-350-12 Power Supply
Mega-Watt S-350-12 Power Supply Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $50
Description: An inexpensive switch-mode power supply rated at 30 amperes continuous load.
More info: http://www.12voltpowersupplies.us/

You can write your own review of the Mega-Watt S-350-12 Power Supply.

KC9VZB Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2014 18:53 Send this review to a friend
grrrrreat!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I never have extra money .Bought this over a year ago and haven't found any rf noise.while it was powering my radio I had a brain fart and went to cut a second cord(while hot) spliced in to test a mobile rig to change plug.Volume dropped out on playing radio,power supply groaned and when I let go of dikes all was well.Very impressed! usually this leads to letting out the magic smoke,which happened to the one I was home brewing before it was finished

K3NB Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2013 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Works. Good price point.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you're new to this hobby and don't want to put out several Benjamins - or more -for a 30+ amp switching for a linear power supply in the same range, this might be just the thing you're looking for. It was for me anyway. I already had an Astron RS 30M and was marveling at how much heat it put out. Between it and my Ameritron AL811H I think I can leave the small space heater off this winter in my basement "shack." So I was looking at switching PSs and saw this one listed on eBay for about a third of what I paid for the other PS and thought for the money, it might be a good backup. You read all over the place about people's negative experiences with every power supply no matter the manufacturer. Even Kenwood, as good a reputation as they have, seemed to "forget" to put a crowbar over voltage protection circuit in their boat anchor PS-50 line years back and are now asking over $400 for the new updated model with protection (what a racket... protection? a pun... never mind). So with all this in mind I thought I'd go ahead and spend the $60 for one of these PSs - not knowing later that they're generally available for less elsewhere. I mounted a 1" digital volt-meter - Radio City - atop the PS and have been running my Kenwood TS-590S and several outboard chargers and meters through a Rigrunner panel for several weeks now. Volt meter shows a stead 13.8V with a rare flicker to 13.7 and the fan is steady, audible, but the sound pressure level is well under 40 dBA as measured 24" away, my sound level meter doesn't have a lower range than 40 dB so I can't tell what the sound pressure is at my ears, but I CAN hear it running, steadily. For comparison, the volume from my radio is over 50 dBA. As far as radio noise is concerned, from 6 to 160M I can't detect any more than was there before. Running this PS my shack's a little colder - as it gets colder outside - so I may go back to my Astron foot warmer shortly. I'm thinking about gutting my - broken - Kenwood PS-50 and putting this switching PS inside it, upgrading the back panel to Anderson Power poles. Recycling the copper in the transformer may pay for the switching PS ; - ).

I think, for the money, for the form-factor, I'd give it a 5. For the fan noise and the simple to shock yourself if you're not paying attention screw-down power strip in back - Weco style blind entry screw connectors would be safer, not necessarily more secure - and lack of an easy means of accessing or seeing the "power on" LED I'd give it a 4. This unit needs to be put into a larger box with more conveniently-accessible controls, connections, and indicators. I'm going to look around for a digital ammeter for it.

My rating, combined with the previous review, a 4.5 is about right. You could do worse.

WB6FLY Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2013 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this power supply to see if it was as good as many others say it is. It seems to be a copy of the Mean Well S-350-12, but the specs are slightly different. I ran a full bench test and found that it performed well. Even after six hours of feeding a 30-ampere load at 13.8 VDC, it never faltered. The fan runs continuously at one speed, and does not appear to be thermostatically controlled as the instruction sheet states. I gave it a 4 only because the fan has sleeve bearings and may not survive years of operation with the axis vertical. I prefer ball bearings. My full test report is on the Repeater-Builder site.