Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A503S Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A503S
Cushcraft A503S Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Enjoy the new popularity and exciting contacts on the 6 meter band with one of the S-series Cushcraft Yagis. The A503S, A505S and A506S may be mounted vertically for FM use.
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A503S.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2008 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I returned home from vacation to find that my miniquad was damaged beyond repair in a storm while I was gone, and it was less than a week to the June VHF contest! I quickly looked around for a replacement and the only 2 I could order that might get here in time were the MFJ 3 element and the Cushcraft. I have had the MFJ 6m yagi before and it is a good performer. I decided to go for the A50-3 instead because it was at Texas Towers, which is only 3 hours from me so I know that it would arrive on time, it has a SO239 connector on it so I wouldn't have to mess around with a coax pigtail as on the MFJ, and it looked like it would be a little sturdier.

It arrived on the Thursday before the contest, and I was able to get it put together in about 1 hour. The instuctions were very easy to follow, and it is built like a brick outhouse compared to the MFJ. No complaints in that department-I don't think it will be breaking any time soon. It also loaded up just fine, although it is detuned a little bit due to its proximity to the steel siding on the house.

I only have it mounted at 25 feet, but broke my old 6m records in the June contest-195 QSOs with 107 grids, and I missed a decent portion of the contest. That should tell you that this antenna plays just fine. I have made plenty of QSOs since the contest using it also, in spite of the fact that 6m conditions have been pretty lousy this summer.

If you are looking for a fairly small 6m antenna to put up, go for this one. It was inexpensive-$136 shipped, built very well, and gets the job done. I would definitely recommend it over a loop or Moxon antenna as it has much better gain. If you need something for roving I would probably go with the MFJ 3 element instead since it is much easier to take apart and set up. This is meant for a permanent installation.

KB3HSY Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Solid performance, it gets out and handles plenty of power. It is light enough to use almost any rotor. Nice construction like all cushcraft antennas, it was on backorder and required a wait. The MSRP above is not even close to the cost these days. I highly recomend it.

N6PSE Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2007 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Good compact 6 meter beam!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had very good results with my 3 element Cushcraft 6 meter beam. From San Jose CA, I have worked Hawaii and even Japan a few times on 6 meters SSB with 50 watts. Not bad!

I gave away my beam when I got the 3 element SteppIR, while the Steppir is awesome HF yagi, the little 3 element Cushcraft was a good antenna for 6 meters and I miss it. I just may buy another.

K3GM Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2006 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Goes together and plays well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a pretty simple design, so not much can go wrong. Assembly is easy, and the materials and hardware are top notch. Tuning was extremely easy. Most recent VHF contest yielded 13 grids with 100 watts.

AH6FC Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2005 06:32 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted to have an antenna with some gain and FB that was small, i.e. stealthy, and reasonably priced (temporary QTH)...thus the A503S. It's been up about a year, all of 8 feet above ground on a 1.5 inch PVC pipe attached to a small garden gazebo. Electrically it works quite well. Flat SWR, handles full KW without difficulty, and good reports. Even with lousy conditions I've worked 28 states and a little DX in the past year. Mechanically, well, it's only $99. It's held up to our pretty strong and consistent winds, i.e. 20 - 30 mph nearly every day, but it's only at 8 feet. Not sure how it would do with ice ?? Nevertheless, it's a good antenna, particularly for portable operations. Perhaps not for the big gun 6 meter dx station, but not bad for those who need to hide their antennas! (which is too many of us).
73 & Aloha,
Bill

N3PKC Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2004 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great but it's not very weatherproof  Time owned: more than 12 months
My A50-3S is now up over 50' and it is quite a performer. Previously at 15' above my roof on a tripod, it is a much more effective beam. It also has a lot more rejection and directionality than it did on the roof. My only complain is the gamma isn't exactly waterproof. It's fine when it dries out but any time we get significant rainfall it detunes. This seems worse now that it is more exposed. the coax connection was sealed properly in both installations. When it's raining I either use my antenna tuner or my six meter dipole.

WB8BCO Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2004 13:00 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Materials  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished building and installing this three element beam. I was surprised by the high quality of the materials and how it came together. I used it last night and was impressed. I mounted it vertically on a side mount from normsfab.com for our weekly local nets. I'm sure you'll be as happy as I am if you decide to purchase one.

BRUCE Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2004 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Niffty L'le Nipper  Time owned: more than 12 months
Donated kindly by Frank N3ZOM. I am ZD7VC on the St. Helena Island in the remote South Atlantic. The A503S has 3 elements on a 6' boom and was mounted on my tower @50'. Most of the time running 50w & under I have run very intense pileups on 50mhz and worked numerous DXCC Countries, I think my total stands at 76, rather than chasing DXCC on 6 mtrs I just love giving the Grid IH74DB more than anything - WHAT A SURPERB ANTENNA..!!

73 Bruce ZD7VC

K0KP Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2003 17:14 Send this review to a friend
Proof's in the Puddin'!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a nifty little antenna! Put the A503S six meter yagi up 18 months ago and have worked WAS and 50 dxcc countries with it with just 100 watts! Like I said, proof is in the puddin'. Construction quality is excellent, will last a long time. Mine is on a homebrew 33 ft. wood tower and is rotated with a cheap TV rotator. For a small space six meter yagi, backup or portable antenna, or starter antenna, this is a great one. If you like you can see the antenna on the wood tower at http://www.qsl.net/k0kp go down the page to the homebrew ham gear link and follow to the "wood tower" page.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2001 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Well Constructed.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Cushcraft A503S has held up well in northern Michigan. I have installed this antenna at previous locations and owned this antenna for many years. My present QTH is at 1450 feet. The antenna is above the surrounding tree line fully exposed to the elements. Ice storms have come and gone. The antenna has survived 70+ mph storms with ice loading. I even lost a guy wire in the worst storm, fortunately my roof mounted tower survived. I had installed four guy wires! This is a well constructed antenna. The bandwidth is limited, however, my transceiver has a built-in automatic tuner which allows full bandwidth on SSB and FM with flat SWR. Highly recommended!