Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | AIR BOSS pneumatic antenna launcher Help

Reviews Summary for AIR BOSS pneumatic antenna launcher
AIR BOSS pneumatic antenna launcher Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: Launches line into tall trees for erecting wire antennas
More info: http://kr4loairboss.com

You can write your own review of the AIR BOSS pneumatic antenna launcher.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Great tool for a great price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the Airboss more and more as I string up more antennas. I am surprised how accurately I can place my shot.

Saves so much time over other methods.

KW4CQ Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2016 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Jamming fixed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have upgraded my earlier review from a 2 to a 3 as a result of being able to unjam the 2 oz. lead sinker that was stuck in the barrel. I did this by cutting the barrel about 3 or 4 inches above the trigger valve and prying loose the sinker with the aid of a screwdriver. Examining the sinker closely it appeared to have some raised ridges on its sides as a result of the way it was molded. I took a flat file and filed the sinker ridges smooth and I am no longer experiencing jamming. I went to Home Depot and bought a 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe coupler and cemented it to join the barrel sections together again.
I use a quality bicycle pump which has its own accurate built in gauge to pressurize the Air Boss' air tank. I generally place 50 PSI in the tank for good clearance over my very tall oak trees. Works fine.
The very stiff trigger valve is still very stiff to operate and does spoil the shot a times. If anyone knows if some type of commercial lubricant would loosen up operation of the valve then please let me know.

K7NA Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Powerful, Accurate Launcher  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have launched lines for numerous antennas here using this launcher. Mine employs 2 oz lead weights and an inexpensive Shakespeare casting reel. The secret is the very strong, slick Spiderwire EZ Braid line that was recommended for use with this launcher. It's expensive but so thin and smooth that it just does not get caught on tree limbs. I regularly shoot lines over 80-95 foot Doug Fir trees using this launcher at 45-50psi. Yes, the valve is stiff but I've adapted to that and compensate by holding the launcher firmly when shooting lines. It accurately places lines where I want them. A very useful device at a reasonable price!

WB0WQS Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2016 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have put up a lot of antennas with this launcher. The packing was amazing. I recommend a change in the air pressure gauge, it was useless from the first time. I use the gauge on my air pump. Sure my compound bow has more power, but try to explain to the neighbors why I am shooting an arrow in the air. This launcher has cleared 80 foot trees and the 2 ounce sinkers insure that the line drops back down over the back side of the tree. I would recommend getting extra sinkers from Air Boss. My fishing line distribution is crude, but works well. I drop the spool of fishing line in a 5 gallon bucket and the line spins off the spool without tangling. You can check my qrz page to see the size of trees I'm dealing with.

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2016 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Prefer my compound bow  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these several years ago, don't even remember which hamfest, perhaps Charlotte. There were 2 versions at the time, one used 1-oz weights and the other used 2-oz weights. I bought the one that uses 1-oz weights. As others mentioned, to shoot the weight you have to quickly twist open the valve, and in doing so, it is very easy to move your aim way off target. Some type of pull trigger mechanism would be much better. I have found I need more air pressure than the recommended amount to clear trees in the 75-90 ft. range. The air pressure gauge is mounted to the bottom end of the launcher and can very easily be bent or broken off. The dial in the gauge warped due to sunlight exposure and now the needle won't move, so I have to use a tire pressure gauge to determine the amount of air pressure. I have since purchased a cheap compound bow at Dunham's sporting goods, I think it is around 40-lb pull. I much prefer the bow as I can really put an arrow on target with just one attempt. Plus you don't need to have a method of pressurizing an air chamber.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2016 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Ingenious device that does the trick  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Gives repeatable performance. Much more accurate and goes farther than a slingshot it replaced. Max height depends on the spool. My cheap Zebco slows down the projectile and I need about 75psi to reach 100ft.
The valve seems simple but after little practice no problems.
All in all, an ingenious device at a reasonable price.

W5RG Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2016 16:57 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine now for a few years and have used it many times. The valve is sometimes a little hard and I just spray some lubricant down into the barrel, it works fine. This thing really shoots a lead ball up and over trees no problem.

W3TO Rating: 2/5 Mar 28, 2016 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Could have an easier working vaive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with the last reviewer about the hard working air valve.I had hoped the maker would have come out with an easy fix for the hard working valve.I did find that by using more pressure than specified did get more height of 75 feet

K2OWR Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2015 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing is the best. I have been putting up wire antennas for 58 years and dreaded it every time. In the beginning I used to try just swinging a string with a 1/2" socket. This resulted in dozens of sockets caught in my trees..I often wonder what the next owner of the property would think about how and why they got there :-) Then I tried the slingshot gadget...better, but still very hit and miss. Now I look forward to one careful shot to clear even a 100' tree easily. If you do happen to miss DO NOT try to pull the weight up an out; just cut it off and reel the line back in or you will lose the weight and the line. Oh, and you can buy 2 ounce egg shaped weights at the fishing tackle shop,sand them smooth and paint them bright yellow. My dipoles are all super high and perform great!

W8EZI Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2015 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had been using a slingshot. This method barely worked for me as mostly not enough for any tall tree. The air boss is inexpensive and does a very good job. You must learn what air pressure needs to be used for what size tree. There are no suggestions. I found that 52 lbs worked perfectly for an 85 foot tree. Buy extra weights if you are going to use this thing in the city as I do. You are likely to lose weights in neighbours yards and inside trees. I am not able to buy these fishing weights anywhere locally. I must buy them from air boss. I have no problem with that and they are not priced dearly. Figure on using a smaller messenger line after you shoot across your fishing line. It works every time and is the reliable way to do this. I use the small nylon line sold in our local hardware store. The only thing that would be better is if it had a trigger mechanism and a sight. I realize full well that this would up the cost significantly. I would pay it. I highly recommend this product as a low cost reliable way to hang antennas from trees. I also commend the designer for a job very well done.