Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-60A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-60A
Kenwood MC-60A Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $145.00
Description: Desktop Deluxe Microphone
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/accessories/kenwood_mc60.jpg

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-60A.

WD5ACP Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2016 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Good mic, but needs mod to eliminate RF  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good sounding mic. maybe a little bassy, but if you QRO you need to modify to mic to eliminate RF. Simple add a small wire across the center conductor (pin 8) and the shield (pin 7) and continue to ground. Just loosen the screw underneath the mic mounting shaft and stick the end of th wire add. When you're done you'll have a small wire soldered to pin 8, pin 7 and going to the base. NO more RF! :)

WB7VTY Rating: 0/5 Apr 8, 2016 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always liked kenwood stuff so when I bought my TS590SG, which I love, I also picked up a MC60. I had MC50s before and they were great. I assumed the 60 was just an upgrade of the 50. Not so. Totally different. The 60 has a preamp built into the base and requires batteries. Right out of the box I was getting horrible audio reports and it sounded terrible on the TX monitor no matter what I did. The hand mic that came with the 590SG sounded way better. All the horror stories about RF in this mic are true. I refuse to repair a brand new mic that cost over a hundred bucks. Kenwood scores a zero on this one because its a well known issue that has gotten no attention from Kenwood. I should have googled it before buying it instead of assuming. HRO took it back with no fuss and I exchanged it for an MC90 which works beautifully. If you want a kenwood mic, the MC90 is not cheap but its the way to go. No batteries, no preamp, no RF issues, outstanding sound. The MC60 is a complete waste of money and doesn't live up to the Kenwood name. I wouldn't take one if it was free.

KD2EMQ Rating: 1/5 Mar 14, 2016 12:32 Send this review to a friend
worse mike I ever owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In the last few years I have purchased a Icom-7000 radio and a Icom SM-30 mike,They worked great together. I also purchased a Yaesu FTDX-3000 radio and a Yaesu MD-100 mike. They also worked great together. My latest purchase was a Kenwood TS-590SG radio and a Kenwood MC60A mike, what a train wreck that was! The mike wouldn't work at all with the radio. Thank god the good people at H.R.O.replaced it at no cost to me. However, the replacement mike worked no better than the original. After a lot of research, which I should have done before I purchased the mike,I found that this mike has had R.F.feedback problems since 2001, or at least that is the first report of this I found.I can't help but wonder why Kenwood hasn't corrected this problem.However, upon further research, I found a repair solution that corrected most of the problem, which I won't get into here. When I buy a top of the line mike, I don't expect to have to rebuild it in order to get it to work and if I could find a repair solution for this problem, why can't Kenwood?

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic! RFI easy to solve!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these! They work well with everything I have, even my Boat anchors! This is the way I cured all of my RF issue's. The pre-amp off-on switch needs to be isolated from the base along with the circuit board. The microphone cord shield wire should not be attached to the base either. Attach it to the Microphone ground instead. That's it! No RF beads, no fancy capacitor jobs and no extra resistors. Try it! a no cost solution. 73's

G0LUH Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Must Have  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi
On my second one, regret selling first some years ago agree with rf issue, burnt my lips a few times, excellent choice, mind you I do have a Shure 444D as well

HA7WX Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2014 11:46 Send this review to a friend
4.5 because prone to RFI  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this microphone for a while and this mike is a great mike once you have cured its RFI issues. If your antenna is close enough to your rigs you are likely to experience RFI. This can be cured with wire straps inside the mike. I have used it on my Kenwoods (850SAT and 950SDX) and it had a great sound (unsollicited reports), you know, the typical outstanding SSB quality Kenwood is so famous for.
If you're on a budget and have to choose between a MC-80 or a the MC-60A i think the 60A is a better choice as the price gap between them on the used market is not so big.
So all in all, i can recommend it if you don't want to spend too much $$ on a microphone to use your Kenwood or your Alinco rig. I give it a 4.5 rating.
Also, K8CPA gave 1 in his review to the MC-80 which is unfair, and yes this is a very good mike for its price. He is just disappointed he could not solve his RFI problems because of his ground loops...

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Previous to owning and using this mic, I bought new and used a MC-80 mic; and it sucked. I should have bought a new MC-60 mic. But, I thought I'd be brilliant and get a mc-80. Wrong! The MC-80 will RF like a buzzsaw on 75 meters, if you touch it.

I bought mine used from my friend, John N8QGC for $50.00 and I must say, it works well.

Only gripe is that the threads for the screws that hold the rubber feet on, one of the threads on the base or screw... is possibly stripped out. Which is most likely due to age.

I also pulled a bone-head move. I was trying to tighten down said rubber feet screw and stupid me forgot to take mic out of the holder and I broke the holder! Oopsie! Well, about 15 minutes, one bottle of loctite super glue, a wet paper towel and a few cuss words later --- I fixed the mic holder. you can get them at any music store, they only cost anywhere from 3 to 6 bucks. But, I glued mine.

Anyhow, I get good audio reports. So, I am not too worried about it. I don't get the RF problems on the audio, as I only run 150 watts here.

It's not a Electrovice RE-27 and it is not a Heil Mic. But, it is a good mic for someone who wants to get on the air. Don't ask me about Heil's stuff. I don't wanna get sued. :-/

All in all: It works well. Best $50.00 I ever spent. Now, if I can keep from breaking the thing! :-)

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this mic for almost 30 years now. Got it with my first TS-430. Now use it with the TS-2000. It always gets good audio reports. Only problem I had with it was a few years back when a small amount of grit got into the slider switch on the bottom plate. A little spray of contact cleaner and we were back in business like new. If you want good audio at a reasonable price and want a high quality, good looking mic, this is the one to get.

VE3UGG Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this mic used at a local hamfest for not a lot of money. Hooked it up to my older TS-680 and got on my favourite 40 meter SSB net the next morning. All I can say is reports were WAY better than my stock handheld mic. And no, I'm not using the built-in amp. Reports say my bass response is much improved yet still very natural sounding. I like the look and feel also. No RF concerns.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Better than Heil?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I won't go there. But I will state that my on-air comparison revealed the free MC-60 I got from a friend sounded better than a Heil Goldline GM-5 (a comparably-priced mic) on my Yaesu FT-840 with no outboard EQ ,with and without the radio's processor engaged. Again, not knocking the Heil. Who knows what potential EQ would bring out on either mic?
If you are luckey enough to own an MC-60, keep it. It is hard to beat, even with Bob Heil's magnificent Goldline.